The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

On 1/4/2020 at 4:34 AM, canucklehead44 said:
  • Kasperi Kapanen scored 20 goals 44 points in 78 games. Same draft as Virtanen, similar type of role (middle six speedster). 3 years, $9.6M ($3.2M per)
  • Andreas Johnsson 20 goals 43 points in 73 games. Signed 4 years, $13.6M ($3.4M per year) 
  • Kevin Fiala 13 goals 39 points in 83 games. Signed 2 years, $6M ($3M per year)
  • Colin White 13 goals 41 points in 71 games. Signed 6 years, $28.5M ($4.75M per year)
  • Pavel Buchnevich 21 goals 38 points in 64 games. Signed 2 years, $6.5M ($3.25M per year)

At Virtanen's current pace of 24 goals 48 points in 81 games I would expect him to get in the ballpark of $3.2M-$3.8M on a 2-4 year deal.  

I don't give that kid anything more than 2 years at 2 million. Go out and prove it again and again or trade him

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

49 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I don't give that kid anything more than 2 years at 2 million. Go out and prove it again and again or trade him

If Jake gets 40 points and that's what you're standing on, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hold out into the season (and if he was a UFA, we'd be kissing him goodbye), because 40 points with his physical play earns far far more than $2M. He's been improving each year and I think he's probably a pretty sure thing to at least remain relatively close in production year over year. That said, if he pushes 50 points, it's reasonable to say that such a big jump might not be sustainable and a bridge might be more reasonable.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Benning isn’t signing him to a two year deal as that would make him a UFA at the end of his contract.  He’s either signing a one year prove it deal or Benning will try and get him to sign a long term 4-5 year deal...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning isn’t signing him to a two year deal as that would make him a UFA at the end of his contract.  He’s either signing a one year prove it deal or Benning will try and get him to sign a long term 4-5 year deal...

3.5 to 4.5 in the range of 3 to 4 years with 20g and 40 plus points.  The bigger amount would be for an extra UFA a year.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think you are right, but he could get the 3 yr

Canucks always seem to get burned buying high on trades, this isn't a trade, but he has been playing on a contract year, I am sure he would stay motivated for another year to get that big contract too, then what?

Cap space and not being saddled is very important with us now, we have guys with big contracts retired, sitting on the bench, in Utica already

These cap restrictions and not being able to freely move up and down players to the AHL hurt the fans from seeing  a better teams or motivating players who have guaranteed nhl money and protection from being sent down (as a lost asset to the team, and still counting against the cap space) It wasn't the Owners or players who got screwed in the last strike-It is the fans of the game, those two still make big money and the fan pays it to see live

Maybe Jake appreciates how the Canucks have been patient with him and he wants to remain here, with his friends/family and younger team at  3 mil 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I hope jake crushes him next time they meet. 

That play happens every year to the Canucks, toughen up butter cup....

happy my boy scored and is pissing people off ha

If he's actually dumb enough to throw a McSorely in someone's face, especially after those comments, he'll be looking at probably 10 games minimum.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

If he's actually dumb enough to throw a McSorely in someone's face, especially after those comments, he'll be looking at probably 10 games minimum.

Well hopefully NHL the makes an example of the smurf if he does, cause come on that would be like Hughes pulling a Duncan Keith  Stick work cause his short lol being short isn't not a reason to use you stick look at  RR

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's been heating up lately which is good to see, hope he hits 20 goals and 40 points on the season. If he can elevate that to 50-60 points in the next couple of years we've got a decent player on our hands going into playoffs.

Jake as a 20/20 guy, who brings the irreplaceable intangibles he does, is a very valuable player.  60 points, and providing his intangibles, is into JT Miller territory.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 1/10/2020 at 10:55 PM, The 5th Line said:

My boy jv killing it lately.  Let's go

I hope you eat your words when Virtanen improves even more than what he is doing now.

On 4/9/2019 at 12:10 PM, The 5th Line said:

He needs to continue working with a skills coach.  Passing, puck handling, board play and shot accuracy need to be focused on.  He has most these skills already they are just hidden behind a wall of unsureness, processing speed and confidence.  You don't take a player with such a low hockey iq so early in a draft, these players take a lot of time to develop and we can't afford to be wasting top picks on guys who take 8 years to figure it out.  All the best for Jake but I'm not holding my breath.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I hope you eat your words when Virtanen improves even more than what he is doing now.

Would a true fan (when predicting a prospect will bustaroo) actually want to be right?  Wouldn’t a real fan be super happy they were wrong, so their team is better?  

• Upvote 1