The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Gagner also scored 8 points in one game. What's your point again?

Well if you could have been bothered to read (which I know is a lot to ask of you)... you would have seen that I was responding directly to a point made (that I also quoted directly for ease of everyone except the laziest and least informed of CDC posters).

They said Pyatt had never taken over a game... and I responded that he did.

I also noted that Pyatt was a decent goal

scorer, and Jake hasn’t reached the same heights yet.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Well if you could have been bothered to read (which I know is a lot to ask of you)... you would have seen that I was responding directly to a point made (that I also quoted directly for ease of everyone except the laziest and least informed of CDC posters).

They said Pyatt had never taken over a game... and I responded that he did.

I also noted that Pyatt was a decent goal

scorer, and Jake hasn’t reached the same heights yet.

Actually, having someone take over one game - which is why you brought up Pyatt - is meaningless if he goes "back" to his original form. There have been games when Virtanen did well, and he's had 18 goals this season. I should mention this is equal to Pyatt's best year. Virtanen may very well be another "Pyatt", although they are very different players.

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Actually, having someone take over one game - which is why you brought up Pyatt - is meaningless if he goes "back" to his original form. There have been games when Virtanen did well, and he's had 18 goals this season. I should mention this is equal to Pyatt's best year. Virtanen may very well be another "Pyatt", although they are very different players.

Well again, if you bothered to read.  The statement I was responding to was that Pyatt had never taken over games like Jake has.  It wasn’t true, and you have even just admitted it isn’t true... but continue to randomly try to chirp.

Same as you lying in your statement that Jake’s 18 goals is equal to Pyatt’s best year.  Again, if you took 5 seconds to actually read the posts you quoted and are trying vainly to troll, you would have read that Pyatt’s best year was in fact  23 goals.  

So you have shown that you are either incapable or unwilling to read the posts you are quoting and disagreeing with.

Exactly how much school did you miss during this pandemic?  They don’t offer remedial classes?

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well again, if you bothered to read.  The statement I was responding to was that Pyatt had never taken over games like Jake has.  It wasn’t true, and you have even just admitted it isn’t true... but continue to randomly try to chirp.

Same as you lying in your statement that Jake’s 18 goals is equal to Pyatt’s best year.  Again, if you took 5 seconds to actually read the posts you quoted and are trying vainly to troll, you would have read that Pyatt’s best year was in fact  23 goals.  

So you have shown that you are either incapable or unwilling to read the posts you are quoting and disagreeing with.

Exactly how much school did you miss during this pandemic?  They don’t offer remedial classes?

Please avoid ad hominem remarks and focus on the argument at hand.

To your point. Pyatt did score 23 goals...playing with the top two playmakers in the 50-year history of the Canucks.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Don't be kidding yourself. 23 goals vs 18 goals isn't much of an increase to justify an argument that Pyatt was some sort of gamechanger. Furthermore, Pyatt had more NHL seasons under his belt than Virtanen has had so far, when compared by age. Note that Virtanen is trending upward. Pyatt's stats on the other hand were inconsistent.

So what's your point again about Pyatt? It's bizarre that you continue to compare these two players even though they play different styles and they are from a different time period altogether.

I suppose your only interest in the comparison is 1) finding another way to bash Virtanen (poor way btw) 2) they're both easy on the eyes

Edited by Dazzle

25 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Don't be kidding yourself. 23 goals vs 18 goals isn't much of an increase to justify an argument that Pyatt was sort of gamechanger. Furthermore, Pyatt had more NHL seasons under his belt than Virtanen has had so far, when compared by age. Note that Virtanen is trending upward. Pyatt's stats on the other hand were inconsistent.

So what's your point again about Pyatt? It's bizarre that you continue to compare these two players even though they play different styles and they are from a different time period altogether.

I suppose your only interest in the comparison is 1) finding another way to bash Virtanen (poor way btw) 2) they're both easy on the eyes.

You know you don't have much of an argument when you're resorting to personal attacks about education level to bolster your position.

You have completely lost the plot.

Several posters were having a conversation regarding a Pyatt/Virtanen comparison.... to which I responded directly to one of them.

You then barged in pretending that entire conversation (and the posts I actually quoted) didn’t exist.  Then you started inventing stats and misrepresenting every single post. 

If you want to insert yourself into a conversation, take a stab at actually  reading it first ... it is entirely crystal clear that you can’t be bothered to do even that little effort, as the thread shows.

I will type this more slowly for you.

The statement was made that Jake has had stretched of dominant play and Pyatt never did.

I said that Pyatt had dominant games... one specific one came to mind as well as other posters commenting about playoff series’ they recalled where he was as well.  I also said that Jake hadn’t scored as many goals as Pyatt yet and noted his 23 goal best vs. Jake’s 18.  You lied and said that wasn’t true (it was, a few seconds work on Google could have illuminated you if you could have been bothered).

Now you are inventing a claim that I am suggesting that Pyatt was some sort of game-changer when I simply pointed out that he ALSO had games where he was dominant, which is simply a fact.  23 goals is more than 18 goals, the argument that Jake is a more dominant and productive player than Pyatt ever was is simply false on all the discernible metrics.

Now you are pretending you weren’t just making stuff up in your head.  You are also making up some invented narrative that I have some sort of fetish to compare the two.... when even the briefest perusal of the thread would show it was a topic of conversation by other posters.

Their comparison is two big guys who played for the Canucks and were picked nearly the same spot in the top 10 of the 1st round.  Two guys with all the tools in the world that didn’t have the head or drive to make the most of those talents.  It was a contrasting comparison posters made to the “Virtanen is like Cam Neely or Bertuzzi” claims.  A comparison more valid than those.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1

One of the most disappointing thing about Virtanen is that he does not seem to realize that he is wearing the Canucks uniform. He is a Canucks fan who grew up in the Lower Mainland. I don't know who was his favourite Canuck player but he needs to lead this team and become a core player. He needs to show his B.C. pride. If the love of his childhood team cannot motivate him then it is time to move on. 

2 hours ago, Maddogy said:

One of the most disappointing thing about Virtanen is that he does not seem to realize that he is wearing the Canucks uniform. He is a Canucks fan who grew up in the Lower Mainland. I don't know who was his favourite Canuck player but he needs to lead this team and become a core player. He needs to show his B.C. pride. If the love of his childhood team cannot motivate him then it is time to move on. 

Or is it that the coach who has never won anything hates him?

(He has once, the year he took over as interim coach in whl)

Let's let him walk, hire a winner, and move forward. 

4 hours ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Or is it that the coach who has never won anything hates him?

(He has once, the year he took over as interim coach in whl)

Let's let him walk, hire a winner, and move forward. 

To be fair, it is a bit of both. Jake did the best, at least from articles/reports (or people who lives in Utica can chime in), when he was at Utica away from the spotlight. I think if you read my posts, you would know I am a Jake supporter as I always do want the local boy to do well in his home team. However, with how Willie and now Travis is deploying him or rewarding/not rewarding him is frustrating. I see games where he was on the top line or Horvat's line and was clicking and then next game, he was back down to 4th line. I mean I do understand as a professional, you play with what you get but it is hard for him to build anything. One day you are offensively required to help the team, the next day, you are defensively required to help the team.

We all hope Jake matures and Travis learns better but it seems that it won't happen. Either Travis leaves or Jake moves to another city away from Vancouver. There was an interview with Hansen and he did say that PFs take longer and that each person's maturity takes time (not everyone is like Petey or Hughes). Some players take longer to develop or score over others. I think JT Miller took 7/8 years before he finally got 100 goals while Horvat did it in 5/6 years.

• Cheers 1

On an additional note, I do understand he wasn't the best at training camp and yes he was outplayed by Mac and even Ericksson but this is the "playoffs" or a way into the "playoffs", the series is only a best of 5. You can't afford to keep players who scored almost 20 goals for you (that is like a 2nd line/3rd line standard in the league) in the press box. If you wanted to give him a lesson, benching him for the exhibition was I think enough. You could force him to bag skate 2 times more than everyone else or go on the bike 2 times more than everyone else as a way to punish him. But to take him out of the lineup for a crucial best of 5 series or even the playoffs, it is all on Travis for being stubborn.

Maybe this message is a bit premature as he might be in the lineup tomorrow but just keeping him off for game 1 was ridiculous. And yes, he wouldn't have made a BIG difference but against trap teams like Minny, you need players like Jake to barge in. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think Jake outlasts Green.

Oo that's a good one. I'm not sure what ball will drop first. I like virt and dont think he should be sitting when we arent scoring goals. However, hes had the same treatment from virtually all of his pro coaches lol.

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Oo that's a good one. I'm not sure what ball will drop first. I like virt and dont think he should be sitting when we arent scoring goals. However, hes had the same treatment from virtually all of his pro coaches lol.

It'll be close lol

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

I think you are right. We don't know what Green is dealing with here. That said I think he goes in. Jake has great o-zone presence and should keep the Minny defenders looking for his hits. Even tho Van played a physical game in #1 it has to be better. I think it will be as the team vets will realize that. Sit Roussel and play Virt. 

• Cheers 1

On 8/3/2020 at 3:33 AM, D-Money said:

Geez guys, it’s 1 loss. Let’s not all turn into teenage girls here. 

I think we all can agree that Virtanen has initiated far more shotgunned beers than Pyatt. Also, this hat is hilarious:

Jake-Virtanen-at-Celebrities-Nightclub.j

Yeah he's really proving the world and Leipsic wrong with that witty hat.  Wonder if he thought of anymore catchy things to wear while he was sitting in the press box Sunday night.