Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Kenins - Horvat - Virtanen/Hansen

Prust - Vey/Higgins - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado

Bartkowski - Sbisa/Weber

I like the kid line

And if Vey and Virt outplay Higgins/Hansen

THEM LETS SEE JB DO WHAT HE SAID AND TRADE HIGGINS AND HANSEN to make room for the youngsters

Also Corrado should be paired with Hammer till trade deadline when Hammer gets traded for PICKS

I like the kid line

And if Vey and Virt outplay Higgins/Hansen

THEM LETS SEE JB DO WHAT HE SAID AND TRADE HIGGINS AND HANSEN to make room for the youngsters

Also Corrado should be paired with Hammer till trade deadline when Hammer gets traded for PICKS

Hansen isn't going anywhere IMO. Higgins on the other hand...

Good too hear. That seems like a solid weight.

Light enough that he'll still be able to fly, but heavy enough to still throw his weight around.

This kid must be built like the proverbial brick s#*% house to be that heavy, and he's dropped weight. This sounds great to me too.

Is he heavier than Bo?

The Sedins need guys like that have high hockey IQ and that are good in the corners. We've tried big players (Kassian, Pyatt, Benier) all with differing skill-sets and they haven't worked out great. We've tried pure skill guys (Demitra, Vrbata) and they've been OK. Burrows (and to a lesser extent Carter) has complemented them the best squeezing out more production retaliative to being away from the Sedins than the rest of their wingers. This is largely due to his high hockey IQ and ability to cycle.

Unfortunately, Virtanen isn't a high hockey IQ guy, at least not right now and in the sense of positioning and play-making. Sure the Sedins would make him better, but he'd likely make the Sedins worse (in comparison to another winger like Vrbata and Burrows). They might line up together on the second line in 2-3 years but not right now.

This is well said. For me though, we have to find something better than Burrows. He was perfect at one time, but I am really sick of watching that line run around unable to get the puck. I do totally agree that they need a high hockey IQ guy. I don't know much about Virtanen, but I do think that it is worth a long look to see if he can get the hang of it. Smart as Burrows is, I do think he kept it really simple. IE, get in and stir up a puck, and go to the net. We may well have to turn to him throughout the year, but I hope we are also working towards something better. Virtanen may well be bad for the Sedin's stats, but we know what we are getting with Burrows, and it is just not quite good enough.

The Sedins need guys like that have high hockey IQ and that are good in the corners. We've tried big players (Kassian, Pyatt, Benier) all with differing skill-sets and they haven't worked out great. We've tried pure skill guys (Demitra, Vrbata) and they've been OK. Burrows (and to a lesser extent Carter) has complemented them the best squeezing out more production retaliative to being away from the Sedins than the rest of their wingers. This is largely due to his high hockey IQ and ability to cycle.

Unfortunately, Virtanen isn't a high hockey IQ guy, at least not right now and in the sense of positioning and play-making. Sure the Sedins would make him better, but he'd likely make the Sedins worse (in comparison to another winger like Vrbata and Burrows). They might line up together on the second line in 2-3 years but not right now.

I guess we will see. I still think Virtanen is a big, tough, and ultra fast winger, who would create space for the twins to do their magic. I'm a little disappointed, when some say that Jake has a low hockey IQ. I think he brings a high IQ for the game he plays. The Twins have high IQs for the game they play. IMO hockey IQ is a relative term, that changes according to what the coaches want from a player. If we expected the Twins to play a hard nosed, stir it up, straight line game, I'm thinking they would look kind of dumb. Jakes IQ is fine for the way he plays. And his type of play would compliment the Twins. IMO:)

Got to see Virtanen and a few other canuck players today at a scrimmage at Britannia Ice Rink.

A few notable players that were there:

Willie Mitchell.

Mike Santorelli.

David Booth.

Manny Malholtra.

Jason Garrison.

Victor Bartley.

When I saw Jake Virtanen, he looked very much slimmer than he was before. That tweet is definitely accurate. And I'm pretty sure Brendan Gaunce is over 6'3 now. Probably a late bloomer but no way for sure he's 6'2 like before.

Virtanen seemed a little outplace though. Seemed to get lots of shots on the net. Another notable player was Bo Horvat, who pretty much skated past everyone on the ice. Can't believe one of his cons were his speed. The guy's faster than majority on the ice.

A few notable prospects attended at the practices/scrimmages led by one of the trainers as well. They've been practicing pretty much the whole week there and could possibly be there tomorrow.

Virtanen had lots of great scoring opportunities. Me watching him play makes me think he's good as NHL ready. Again, it's just a training/scrimmage session.

Edited by TheOddCanuckling
  • Upvote 2

Got to see Virtanen and a few other canuck players today at a scrimmage at Britannia Ice Rink.

Willie Mitchell.

Mike Santorelli.

David Booth.

Manny Malholtra.

Jason Garrison.

Victor Bartley.

When I saw Jake Virtanen, he looked very much slimmer than he was before. That tweet is definitely accurate. And I'm pretty sure Brendan Gaunce is over 6'3 now. Probably a late bloomer but no way for sure he's 6'2 like before.

Virtanen seemed a little outplace though. Seemed to get lots of shots on the net. Another notable player was Bo Horvat, who pretty much skated past everyone on the ice. Can't believe one of his cons were his speed. The guy's faster than majority on the ice.

A few notable prospects attended at the practices/scrimmages led by one of the trainers as well. They've been practicing pretty much the whole week there and could possibly be there tomorrow.

Virtanen had lots of great scoring opportunities. Me watching him play makes me think he's good as NHL ready. Again, it's just a training/scrimmage session.

Does He fit on size wise?

Willie Mitchell.

Mike Santorelli.

David Booth.

Manny Malholtra.

Jason Garrison.

Victor Bartley.

Thats good to hear about the Bo, kid is going to be a special player.

i really want to see this line during an exabition game:

Kenins - Horvat - Virtanen

and hopefully this lineup come game 1:

Sedin - Sedin - Sedin

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Kenins - Horvat - Virtanen

Prust - Friesen - Dorsett

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Sbisa

Bartkowski - Weber

Corrado

Get rid of Friesen who will be an AHL lifer and replace with vey and that should be our team,only other change would be Horvat and Sutter which will come mid season!

Thats good to hear about the Bo, kid is going to be a special player.

Yeah, people can blab all day about Jake playing in the NHL, but at best he'll prove his naysayers he's ready. I hope he does. Same with Baertschi, he might rack up some points here and there, and make a couple sick plays - that's all he needs to do and people will be happy.

But Bo is really the one to watch this year. He could very well be the outright best player on the Canucks in 2015-16.

I am not sure we should throw Jake on the Sedin line right out of the gate. They will likely eat 18-20 minutes and face the toughest competition. Assuming Jake proves he is ready this season sliding him in the 3rd/4th line which would eat 10-13 minutes against so-so competition might be more beneficial.

He is super young there is no rush to make him a top 6 player. Let him learn the system and get his feet wet with little expectations in the bottom 6. Maybe throw him some PP time with his wicked shot, being right handed is also a plus. No rush.

No one is saying he should be with them full time right out of the gate. Just that he can get some time with them eventually

Baertschi looked like he's gained a lot more weight himself after seeing him. Took a little selfie with him along with McCann and Kenins. I missed my chance with Virtanen after he had already began going downstairs to hit the ice ;(

Also watched Chris Higgins deny a fan from a photo. 'Can't, gotta go'. The fan ended up being pretty sad, especially when he got rejected. I mean, Higgins could've just given him the happiest moment of the day, but nope, apparently he didn't have 30 seconds of his life to make a fan happy.

Virtanen did play on a line with the Sedins at the scrimmage if I must say. Also had a few decent chances. On one of his shots, he hit the crossbar and the puck deflected and sky-rocketed up in the air to only fall down to the stands in a split second it seemed.

Was also nice to see Willie Mitchell/Jason Garrison/Manny Maholtra visit the top section where the Canucks players were getting dressed and geared up. Mitchell ;(

Might be visiting tomorrow, dunno if Virtanen will show up.

Edited by TheOddCanuckling
  • Upvote 1

Willie Mitchell.

Mike Santorelli.

David Booth.

Manny Malholtra.

Jason Garrison.

Victor Bartley.

A little confused at your comment. you mentioned right off the bat

Virtanen seemed a little outplace though.

, right away mentioning

Seemed to get lots of shots on the net.

to be honest, that's a good thing. Getting shots on a goal is not that easy, a good night is 6 shots on goal, anyways you then later mention

Virtanen had lots of great scoring opportunities. Me watching him play makes me think he's good as NHL ready.

that's even a better thing, but you mentioned he was out of place?

anyways thanks for the post.

Getting shots on a goal is not that easy, a good night is 6 shots on goal, anyways you then later mention

I'm assuming he meant he was out of place with a bunch of vets.

A little confused at your comment. you mentioned right off the bat

, right away mentioning

to be honest, that's a good thing. Getting shots on a goal is not that easy, a good night is 6 shots on goal, anyways you then later mention

Should have clarified that better. He looked sloppy during the drills and wasn't exactly that enticing as he was during the scrimmage. Playing with the Sedins helped him though throughout the scrimmage. It's probably rust and all. Otherwise, he did play the game the way I wanted him to play which is aggressive, hard-nosed, get it on the net type.

Hopefully he does make the Canucks. If not, he can go back to Calgary and get a much more of a leadership role and hopefully same thing with Team Canada during the WJ.