The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

One issue I think that should be receiving more attention is the amount of minor penalties he takes. Many of the penalties like hooking are really odd. I'd expect I high total from a slow center but not a fast winger. I think the amount of penalties he takes would negate any of the offensive positives he'd bring to the fourth line this year.

Virtanen and Torres have followed a similar development path. They are also very similar stylistically. I think he is the closest NHL comparable. Others say E Kane but I think Kane has more offensive ability.

Just be patient.

Kane breaking out his first year and Virtanen potentially failing to break out his first year don't mean anything.

They're two completely different people, and some players need time to adjust to pro hockey.

Look at Shinkaruk, one year of pro hockey in the AHL and he already looks like he can handle his own against anyone.

Then look at McCann, he can handle his own already and he's producing.

Sure, they're not really comparable to Virtanen, but look at Guance. Same idea, after one year of pro hockey, he already looks like he understands the pro game and he's pushing for a spot.

Prospects are different and adjust to the pro game differently. Makes me wonder why some fans are so concerned about Virtanen right now. The only time I'd be concerned is if he had failed to up his game before the end of his ELC.

Then you can pretty much right him off.

I personally think Virtanen will make the team this year and he'll break out the same way Horvat did.

His hitting game is exceptional and his positional play is sound. The offense will come.

Edit: As for the penalties, blame rookie mistakes.

The way he plays will involve penalties once in a while, but give him time and he'll learn the NHL game.

Edited by Tystick

Just stop it man all you have done is whine about him since he has came here. I agree he has not earned a roster spot right now and honestly has not played his game at all this preseason.

He looks tentative with the puck and rarely wants to skate with it which is what he does best. He does not look as confident as he should be and its really showing. With that being said he is barely 19!!! Look at Getzlaf junior career, everyone develops differently stop trying to say he is or isn't something and just wait before b******* non stop.

I agree. That is why I want to develop him slowly. This year in the WHL and likely next year in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

I agree. That is why I want to develop him slowly. This year in the WHL and likely next year in the AHL.

He's not going to the AHL, if he doesn't make the team this year then he will next IMO. And who cares if it was kane's +1 year and Jake's +2? I was simply comparing rookie production. And I'd imagine Kane had a lot more ice on a crap Atlanta team. Jake was so young he was almost in the next years draft so this is nearly his +1 year. I see Jake putting up 15-25 points this year as a rookie. Which this fan base will one day realize is pretty good production for a 19 year old rookie. He's never going to walk on the team and dominate offensively until he has a couple years of NHL experience. Holding onto the puck, making better reads, positioning, all those things will improve with NHL ice

Virtanen has not shown well and should not be awarded a spot on the roster. He is physically ready but there are so many aspects of his game that need improvement.

• Shot accuracy
  • Defensive zone coverage
  • Board-play
  • Decision-making
  • Effort

This is a kid who was benched multiple times by his WHL coach. He has a lot of room for improvement. In the defensive zone, he looks like Kassian. I keeping seeing people on here saying he won't learn anything if he goes back to WHL or develop bad habits. Plenty of players play 2 more seasons in junior leagues after their draft year, and it doesn't hurt their development. So why is Virtanen so special?

Mark Schiefele was selected 7th overall in 2011. He played two more seasons in the OHL before making the jump to the NHL. He put 49 points last season in his second year in the NHL.

Ryan Strome was selected 5th overall in 2011 and went back to the OHL for two more seasons after he got drafted. Then he played in the AHL for part of the season before he got called up. Last year he played a full season in the NHL and put up 50 points.

Michael Dal Colle, who was picked right before Virtanen, just got sent back. He put up 31 points in 21 playoff games and won a memorial cup. What does he have left to prove? Nothing, but, like Virtanen, he is not ready for the NHL and the team made the right decision in sending him back.

I understand that Virtanen is exciting and the highest pick this team has had since the sedins but bringing him into the NHL when he is not ready could be disastrous for his development. He is not Bo Horvat so expecting similar results as Bo had last season is unreasonable. Bo earned the coaches trust by playing well in the defensive zone making smart plays. Sending Virtanen down for one more season won't harm him.

Virtanen was one of the youngest players in his draft, so a little patience on the Canucks' end would be beneficial for him and the team.

TL;DR - He is not ready for the NHL. Send him back.

This.

Why do you think the WHL is a better place for him to develop? He already has top end speed, size and shot, even in the NHL. Hes well equipped to play in the bottom 6, until there's room in the top 6.

I'd rather trust the Canucks to develop him than the Hitmen, who have already misused him.

Really? You don't trust the Hitmen to develop him?

I argue they are one of the top three CHL organizations that get players to the NHL on a regular basis. It's not like he's stuck in Moose Jaw or something.

He will play in Calgary, and he'll play for a coach in Mark French that has more Pro coaching experience than Travis Green. Add in that the Canucks brass is only an hour away (as opposed to 6 hours) so they can keep real close tabs on him and it's a better place for him if he's not in the NHL.

As well, how much scoring has he done playing against men? The answer, pretty much none. Throw him in too earlier and he'll loose confidence and end up being a journeyman plug. Keep him where he can succeed and develop at the same time.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen has not shown well and should not be awarded a spot on the roster. He is physically ready but there are so many aspects of his game that need improvement.

• Shot accuracy
  • Defensive zone coverage
  • Board-play
  • Decision-making
  • Effort
This is a kid who was benched multiple times by his WHL coach. He has a lot of room for improvement. In the defensive zone, he looks like Kassian. I keeping seeing people on here saying he won't learn anything if he goes back to WHL or develop bad habits. Plenty of players play 2 more seasons in junior leagues after their draft year, and it doesn't hurt their development. So why is Virtanen so special?

Mark Schiefele was selected 7th overall in 2011. He played two more seasons in the OHL before making the jump to the NHL. He put 49 points last season in his second year in the NHL.

Ryan Strome was selected 5th overall in 2011 and went back to the OHL for two more seasons after he got drafted. Then he played in the AHL for part of the season before he got called up. Last year he played a full season in the NHL and put up 50 points.

Michael Dal Colle, who was picked right before Virtanen, just got sent back. He put up 31 points in 21 playoff games and won a memorial cup. What does he have left to prove? Nothing, but, like Virtanen, he is not ready for the NHL and the team made the right decision in sending him back.

I understand that Virtanen is exciting and the highest pick this team has had since the sedins but bringing him into the NHL when he is not ready could be disastrous for his development. He is not Bo Horvat so expecting similar results as Bo had last season is unreasonable. Bo earned the coaches trust by playing well in the defensive zone making smart plays. Sending Virtanen down for one more season won't harm him.

Virtanen was one of the youngest players in his draft, so a little patience on the Canucks' end would be beneficial for him and the team.

TL;DR - He is not ready for the NHL. Send him back.

This

Benning got everyone's hopes up when he prematurely said that Jake would be challenging for a roster spot, well before they started the penticton tournament.

Having Jake play ahead of guys like Gaunce or McCann at this point would set a bad precedent, if he had earned his time in the NHL it would be a different story but he hasn't, yet.

• Upvote 1

I argue they are one of the top three CHL organizations that get players to the NHL on a regular basis. It's not like he's stuck in Moose Jaw or something.

He will play in Calgary, and he'll play for a coach in Mark French that has more Pro coaching experience than Travis Green. Add in that the Canucks brass is only an hour away (as opposed to 6 hours) so they can keep real close tabs on him and it's a better place for him if he's not in the NHL.

As well, how much scoring has he done playing against men? The answer, pretty much none. Throw him in too earlier and he'll loose confidence and end up being a journeyman plug. Keep him where he can succeed and develop at the same time.

I think the mistrust comes from his usage. He didn't really have a defined role. He was used anywhere from line 1-3 last year and he saw his TOI drop by a full 3 minutes in his draft +1 year, that shouldn't happen. Only the coaching staff know for sure why that is, but if the trend continues then that is concerning and I wouldn't want him back there either.

im for semding him back. However there is the fear that he isnt utilized properly in Calgary. He should under no circumstances be a regular on the third line on the hitmen as he was at times last year.

I still believe management has the right idea with theVirtanen project, his game can better be refined an cleaned up on the big club 4 th line an it wont hurt with good coaching.From what others have said that they are leary about sending him back to waste a year with hit men If he achieved the success Horvatt an Vey had last year it would be considered a successfull season in his development.It seems his only focus is to hit like a bus anything that moves right now he needs to be paced an continue to develop his fwo way game delicate balance of all atributes he has an can evolve to be the player of his full potential.

The Hutton Gaunce situation allows some flex in sending them to Utica right now until some bodies are shipped out injured or traded for picks.

Sadly would like to see McCann stay but the numbers game may not allow it this situation is not unlike Horvat last year.I do think keeping him would not be as challenging as say keeping Virtanen. as McCann can play both ends an is a center.

Out of the three forwards Virtanen is only one that seems with some coaching an a adjustment time period would be required but the other two are game ready with their skill set an play center would slide in fairly seemlessly with more instant productivity with instant gratification with what they already bring to the team.

Its not that has played badly but has been out performed by other players mainly centers which is another topic.

I think the mistrust comes from his usage. He didn't really have a defined role. He was used anywhere from line 1-3 last year and he saw his TOI drop by a full 3 minutes in his draft +1 year, that shouldn't happen. Only the coaching staff know for sure why that is, but if the trend continues then that is concerning and I wouldn't want him back there either.

Well he was on a team that was pretty good, that believed in rolling lines and playing an up-tempo, North/South, attacking system. His 1-1:30 shifts became 35-45 second shift, which is what the NHL is turning into.

Mark French, his coach in Calgary coached the Hersey Bears for four years. If you look at the list of guys he played a pivotal role in developing, he's pretty good at getting guys to the NHL.

Matt Perreault, John Carlson, Jay Beagle, Karl Alzner, Cody Eakin, Thomas Fleischmann, Michael Neuvirth, Braden Holtby, and Demitri Orlov are all guys who learned the Pro game under French while he was a Head Coach in Hershey.

• Upvote 1

so what. Whats the big plan then Gaunce McCann Hutton and virtanen all stay so we have to waive 3 players to keep them all. Virtanen has unquestionably had the weakest preseason out of those so in your eyes we have to play them all or it's #tanknation eh buddy?

Guess we waive vey prust and corrado then. That should make our team better.

I remember a time when cdc wasn't a pile of organised crap. Those were the days.

its PC culture and entitled basement dwellers who go out of their way to take everything that isn't their own opinion as offensive and personal - then the baseless straw man arguments loosely based on trending hipster Facebook posts and what the sports channel told him to think start flying

Think back to the only goal the Canucks scored last game...

Yeah I'm not sure what some of these guys have been watching? Has a couple points, has made nice plays to create offense, has played decently defensively and has used his speed and physicality effectively.

He could use some work in the neutral zone and needs to have some Jr.-hockey level moves/thinking coached out but otherwise hasn't looked much out of place.

Well he was on a team that was pretty good, that believed in rolling lines and playing an up-tempo, North/South, attacking system. His 1-1:30 shifts became 35-45 second shift, which is what the NHL is turning into.

Mark French, his coach in Calgary coached the Hersey Bears for four years. If you look at the list of guys he played a pivotal role in developing, he's pretty good at getting guys to the NHL.

Matt Perreault, John Carlson, Jay Beagle, Karl Alzner, Cody Eakin, Thomas Fleischmann, Michael Neuvirth, Braden Holtby, and Demitri Orlov are all guys who learned the Pro game under French while he was a Head Coach in Hershey.

Everyone has their opinions, no one is more valid than another. The people I know in the W haven't had many positive things to say about that franchise.........you're right though, doesn't mean it's true either. Based on last year, regardless of whether it was them of Jake, I think they would be better off developing him in house with 100% control, rather than sending him to a Jr franchise where there was obviously friction. This is a crucial year for his development.

as someone else says, maybe they can engineer a trade to the Rockets or Giants.

Everyone has their opinions, no one is more valid than another. The people I know in the W haven't had many positive things to say about that franchise.........you're right though, doesn't mean it's true either. Based on last year, regardless of whether it was them of Jake, I think they would be better off developing him in house with 100% control, rather than sending him to a Jr franchise where there was obviously friction. This is a crucial year for his development.

as someone else says, maybe they can engineer a trade to the Rockets or Giants.

I like the idea of a move out of Calgary.

Hitman had a pretty mature roster last year but my viewing of their playoff games did not impress. I

thought they were out coached.

I like the idea of a move out of Calgary.

Hitman had a pretty mature roster last year but my viewing of their playoff games did not impress. I

thought they were out coached.

They didn't seem to have much in the way of coherent system/structure.

The biggest demerits to Virtanen are....?