The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

From Botchford, 

if this doesn't make you smile then i don't know what will!

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/canucks+ducks+horvat+tryamkin+with+tour+force+performances/11824846/story.html

"...So did every hit Tyramkin executed. The big Russian put on a physical tour de force, crumpling Brandon Pirri with a bodycheck and then swatting 240-pound Chris Stewart, who was looking to avenge that hit, like he was a fruit fly.

Later he shoved Ryan Kesler off the puck, and to the ice like he was pushing a five-pound rock out of a five-storey window.

The Canucks have longed for a physical defenceman who could change the game with a hit. Kesler literally stopped playing on that shift after tumbling to the ice. Maybe they have finally found one."

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Courtesy of Tony:

26088538812_906a6122c3_o.gif

Does it not look like he's starting to enjoy this?

Here's the entire sequence:

This is awesome. Lol. This guy is by far my favourite player to watch not named Horvat. What a steal 

Edited by cuporbust

Watched his gameplay quite closely, and for better or worse he doesn't dawdle with the puck but makes plays quickly (unlike Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Weber).  Sometimes it results in a good play - an outlet pass or zone clear, and other times a not-so-good play - icing or turnover.  Either way, blunders in his own end have been relatively few so it's been a net positive.  With the D, sometimes just moving the puck out is a better play than waiting and looking around to do something else.

This just to say that while his physical game is good and continues to improve, his play with the puck is inconsistent.  Whether it is a matter of adjustment and NHL experience or actual learning is yet to be determined.  It may be that he is intentionally just playing it safe for now.  Perhaps long-time observer Stierlitz can comment if he's playing the same here as in the KHL thus far?

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Watched his gameplay quite closely, and for better or worse he doesn't dawdle with the puck but makes plays quickly (unlike Sbisa, Bartkowski, and Weber).  Sometimes it results in a good play - an outlet pass or zone clear, and other times a not-so-good play - icing or turnover.  Either way, blunders in his own end have been relatively few so it's been a net positive.  With the D, sometimes just moving the puck out is a better play than waiting and looking around to do something else.

This just to say that while his physical game is good and continues to improve, his play with the puck is inconsistent.  Whether it is a matter of adjustment and NHL experience or actual learning is yet to be determined.  It may be that he is intentionally just playing it safe for now.  Perhaps long-time observer Stierlitz can comment if he's playing the same here as in the KHL thus far?

I think a lot of it has to do with getting used to the smaller rink. Forecheckers get on him way quicker here than what he's used to in Russia, from rink size alone. Combine that with a system he's still learning and mistakes will happen. Though I'm just impressed he's able to keep up at all, considering the context of his nhl start.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

My first op to watch Tryamkin play last night. Fans talking about his stick and he made a number of great plays with it. A physical force without doubt. He moves the puck fairly quickly and it resulted in a few icings which IMO is just fine as it allowed the team to reorganize.

What I don't understand is this constant reference to fitness. He completed a KHL season so he should be in great shape. He was supposed to have a lingering upper body injury which does not seem to be bothering him.

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Indeed.  WD's handling of Pedan is my one concern in this situation too.  I get it that he isn't totally reliable with the puck but that's partly a confidence thing and no less true of Weber and Bartkowski.  Sitting him out sometimes so he can observe and learn is fine, but it's happened a bit too much for that to be the reason.  I think WD actually prefers Bartkowski and Weber, which is totally unacceptable.  It's huge that we're turning the physical tide against the California teams.  The results are right there before our eyes and we have to cultivate the players that are making that happen. 

Yes, it is a bit concerning,. Pedan is a gem too,. He just needs to be worked and given full forgiveness to make mistakes in order to make the corrections he needs to.  Pedan will also be a force for us, especially if given the opportunity to use that shot in the right situations.  It's WD and Lidster who need to take take the kid gloves off in this situation,. Not Pedan,. He is game to prove himself and needs the green light.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Yes, it is a bit concerning,. Pedan is a gem too,. He just needs to be worked and given full forgiveness to make mistakes in order to make the corrections he needs to.  Pedan will also be a force for us, especially if given the opportunity to use that shot in the right situations.  It's WD and Lidster who need to take take the kid gloves off in this situation,. Not Pedan,. He is game to prove himself and needs the green light.

Really disappointed that Pedan didn't get more TOI last night. Let him and Tryamkin play.

• Upvote 3

Pedan is playing better all the time.

And he is learning how to stay out of the penalty box (which I believe is the reason he is kept out of the lineup).

He was downright beastly as a forward last night, with heavy fore-checks, and more than ready to drop 'em.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Pedan is playing better all the time.

And he is learning how to stay out of the penalty box (which I believe is the reason he is kept out of the lineup).

He was downright beastly as a forward last night, with heavy fore-checks, and more than ready to drop 'em.

True, but he really needs to play D and get used to retrieving the puck behind the net and making the first past early and easy.  Let the future start now!  Weber and/or Bartkowski can sub in as forwards. 

• Upvote 1

I am so excited about Pedan and Tryamkin. Pedan has all of the physical tools - toughness, size, speed, and a hard shot. Imagine if Bieksa was 6'5 220lbs - this could be Pedan one day. He is very prone to mistakes though. So he will either get it coached out of him and play a safe, physical stay at home game or a high risk / high reward style. Hard to say at this stage. 

Tryamkin on the other hand is has huge potential as a stay at home D, but he still brings some offense to the table with his skating, decent shot, and ability to play in front of the net on the power play. I don't think he has the same level of snarl as Pedan, but he brings much needed size and toughness to the blueline. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I am so excited about Pedan and Tryamkin. Pedan has all of the physical tools - toughness, size, speed, and a hard shot. Imagine if Bieksa was 6'5 220lbs - this could be Pedan one day. He is very prone to mistakes though. So he will either get it coached out of him and play a safe, physical stay at home game or a high risk / high reward style. Hard to say at this stage. 

Tryamkin on the other hand is has huge potential as a stay at home D, but he still brings some offense to the table with his skating, decent shot, and ability to play in front of the net on the power play. I don't think he has the same level of snarl as Pedan, but he brings much needed size and toughness to the blueline. 

Jovo was high risk high reward. They can be very useful and very frustrating at the same time 

46 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Tryamkin is a better skater, far more skilled with the pick, and a much smarter player than Pedan.  IMHAO, these two players are not even close in talent and ceiling.  Pedan is a seventh D.  Tryamkin is a minute munching top three.  

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

What I don't understand is this constant reference to fitness. He completed a KHL season so he should be in great shape. He was supposed to have a lingering upper body injury which does not seem to be bothering him.

There were numerous reports of him struggling in practices during drills and a low level bag skate when he first arrived.

He does not appear to be nearly as toned as most NHL players, the KHL is a lot less demanding.  It will be really interesting to see what happens during the summer and whether he responds to whatever nutrition, strength, and conditioning regime they put him on.  I think that may have been part of the desire to have him come and play a few games... open his eyes to what the league is like so he can prepare for next season.

Even dropping 10lbs of fat and replacing it with the same amount of muscle would probably give him an extra half a step of speed which could help him get into position for some nasty hits. 

None of that is to say his fitness has been a problem in games... just that he actually has room to improve once the full resources of an NHL team are used on him.

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

There were numerous reports of him struggling in practices during drills and a low level bag skate when he first arrived.

He does not appear to be nearly as toned as most NHL players, the KHL is a lot less demanding.  It will be really interesting to see what happens during the summer and whether he responds to whatever nutrition, strength, and conditioning regime they put him on.  I think that may have been part of the desire to have him come and play a few games... open his eyes to what the league is like so he can prepare for next season.

Even dropping 10lbs of fat and replacing it with the same amount of muscle would probably give him an extra half a step of speed which could help him get into position for some nasty hits. 

None of that is to say his fitness has been a problem in games... just that he actually has room to improve once the full resources of an NHL team are used on him.

At times it looks like his mind is more determined than his body. He puts in more effort than his body can handle, IMO that's a good trait, it means he gives his all.

When his body becomes just as determined as his drive mentally then we could see him taking big steps.

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

So far it appears that guys are making the appearance of challenging him, but considering he's an unknown they seem pretty wary.  Nobody really wants to be the first to find out what he can do, and the strength he's showing at throwing guys around is a big part of that.  At some point someone will drop them and Nikita will have to go, and he looks like he knows that and is fully prepared to do so.  Should he have a decent showing against a reputed enforcer, that will only establish his reputation.

As I said in the PDT, after watching Tryamkin last night and Pedan dropping Hertl to the ice and throwing Donskoi on top of him, the thought of drafting Sergachev is becoming very enticing should we not land in the top 3.  That would give us 4 guys capable of physically rag-dolling opponents of nearly any size.  Would be very interesting to see how that would free up our skilled players, too.

Yes. I like Sergachev and I think we should take him. There is potential for synergy with the 3 Russian Dmen. At the very least, you would have more camaraderie, they are after all, comrades.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, newgm said:

Notice how with the adjustments required for speed and smaller ice, Tryamkin has only 2 penalties in 9 games while he's crushing guys. Something maybe special about our smooth skating Russian bear.

and that penalty really was just to keep things from boiling over, nothing dirty about his hit.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tryamkin is a better skater, far more skilled with the pick, and a much smarter player than Pedan.  IMHAO, these two players are not even close in talent and ceiling.  Pedan is a seventh D.  Tryamkin is a minute munching top three.  

As good as tryamkin has been, pecan has struggled mightily. Has trouble with positioning, skating, puck movement and decision making. He still could develop into a tough 6-7 d man but at this point he is more of a number 8.