The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

There's also a lesson from our goaltending situation with Demko and DiPietro about counting your chickens before they hatch.  

I just want to see Hughes and Juolevi make the NHL first before we start counting them as roster members. 

Anyways I hope that Hughes and Juolevi have such outstanding rookie years next year that we're talking about the second coming of Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.  

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

So... Karlsson.

It’s too logical.. structure a 5 yr contract,  his 4th and or 5th year Modified or Re-upped.

His caliber of game mentoring our young D prospects as they come of prime pays dividends.

Hope he wins a cup in SJ  and steps away to the Fjords of the North.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

It’s too logical.. structure a 5 yr contract,  his 4th and or 5th year Modified or Re-upped.

His caliber of game mentoring our young D prospects as they come of prime pays dividends.

Hope he wins a cup in SJ  and steps away to the Fjords of the North.

There is Zero chance E Karlsson takes less than a 7 (or 8 in SJ) year contract. Name one superstar that ever has?  Your idea ain't bad it is just impossible in real life.

Edit: to be clear I am talking about superstar players ready to sign what will probably be their last long term contract....not some shlub like messier did with the Canucks (that goof!!).

Edited by Kanukfanatic

28 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

There is Zero chance E Karlsson takes less than a 7 (or 8 in SJ) year contract. Name one superstar that ever has?  Your idea ain't bad it is just impossible in real life.

Edit: to be clear I am talking about superstar players ready to sign what will probably be their last long term contract....not some shlub like messier did with the Canucks (that goof!!).

Mathews starting a trend? 

Yes he will get 7 and those last few years of his contract could really hurt. Question is if he truly fits into our timeline as contenders or if our money is better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think the offer to Tryamkin will  be around 4 million, as that is basically what Hutton will be getting with inflation being taken into account...…..

It is potential that we are paying for...….the NHL is not a goon league anymore and Willie's coaching style is out dated.....

Tryamkin showed enough when he was here...….

$ 4M per for 3 years

maybe 3.5 if we are lucky

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

46 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Mathews starting a trend? 

Yes he will get 7 and those last few years of his contract could really hurt. Question is if he truly fits into our timeline as contenders or if our money is better spent elsewhere.

That’s exactly where I was going with this Retro,.  

To quote LeBrun:

“The Auston Matthews contract extension is done. Should be announced today. Five-year deal. The AAV I believe is somewhere between $11.5 million and $11.7 million...”

Im not saying a contract to E K 65 would be exactly the same, but let’s face it, with the Cap rising almost 10% per year, GM’s are having a harder time with term than money, the age of a players viability  in the NHL is dropping, rarely will we see even a great player pass the age of 32 soon..  there is too much skill and potential in upcoming younger players. 

A six year contract will almost be obsolete.

The upside for good players is to get out with a lot of money at an earlier age with everything intact.

On 2/11/2019 at 9:28 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Okay, go ahead and explain to me after the Sharks game that Tryamkin will not be able to crack this Canucks' defence in a year or two. 

Hmm?  He "cracked" the Canucks lineup the season before last as a regular, so I don't quite understand your post.  

48 minutes ago, Coda said:

Hmm?  He "cracked" the Canucks lineup the season before last as a regular, so I don't quite understand your post.  

It was aimed at those who had earlier implied that our defensive depth would be such that Tryamkin wouldn't be able to get a regular spot if he chose to come back. 

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There's also a lesson from our goaltending situation with Demko and DiPietro about counting your chickens before they hatch.  

I just want to see Hughes and Juolevi make the NHL first before we start counting them as roster members. 

Anyways I hope that Hughes and Juolevi have such outstanding rookie years next year that we're talking about the second coming of Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.  

What lesson? Dipietro s last game would have happened to anyone . Is that what u are talking about ? Lol. CdC is hilarious . First NHL game and he is a bust. I love it . 

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

That’s exactly where I was going with this Retro,.  

To quote LeBrun:

“The Auston Matthews contract extension is done. Should be announced today. Five-year deal. The AAV I believe is somewhere between $11.5 million and $11.7 million...”

Im not saying a contract to E K 65 would be exactly the same, but let’s face it, with the Cap rising almost 10% per year, GM’s are having a harder time with term than money, the age of a players viability  in the NHL is dropping, rarely will we see even a great player pass the age of 32 soon..  there is too much skill and potential in upcoming younger players. 

A six year contract will almost be obsolete.

The upside for good players is to get out with a lot of money at an earlier age with everything intact.

A young kid like Mathews taking a shorter deal is because he is banking on himself. He thinks he will continue to get better and in 5 years he will sign a massive contract after the cap has continued to go up.

An older superstar player like Eriksson that already has had very serious injury problems will not do that. They will definitely get at least 7 years from a club and therefore they will take that max length contract to guarantee they make as much money as possible before they hit the point where they play like crap.

I don't see a player like EK taking a 5 year contract in reality.....but stranger things happen once in a while I suppose.

16 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

A young kid like Mathews taking a shorter deal is because he is banking on himself. He thinks he will continue to get better and in 5 years he will sign a massive contract after the cap has continued to go up.

An older superstar player like Eriksson that already has had very serious injury problems will not do that. They will definitely get at least 7 years from a club and therefore they will take that max length contract to guarantee they make as much money as possible before they hit the point where they play like crap.

I don't see a player like EK taking a 5 year contract in reality.....but stranger things happen once in a while I suppose.

I just think it’s wiser for the player to play less years (say 5) for the same money that would be allotted for 7 years.

it seems it might be better from a Management point of view as well.

If I was an older UFA, personally I would rather play 5 years for 30m .. than 7 yrs for the same amount.  These are interesting times, who knows what a player like EK is thinking.

Edited by SilentSam

On 2/11/2019 at 10:57 PM, aGENT said:

In fairness, that's without Edler, Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois or a possible UFA or trade. 

It's likely going to be far more crowded and harder to crack than it is today and with Edler out.

Edler only averages playing about 60 games a season, because of injuries.  Gudbranson has been miraculously healthy this year - the previous two seasons averaged 42 games per season - which means he missed an average of half a season each year.  Juolevi is another guy who seems to be perpetually hurt.  I don't consider Hughes to be a replacement for what Tryamkin brings to the game - entirely different types of players - one does not preclude the other, rather they complement the lineup.  Excuse me, but the Tryamkin has a full year in the NHL and two years in the KHL - I think that places him well ahead of Brisebois in development.  Now list the D's  Tanev is another guy who misses about 25 to 30 games a year.  Hughes still needs to prove he can play pro hockey, Juolevi needs to prove both that he can play in the AHL and stay healthy.  Gudbranson, whose best play is icing the puck, surely can be improved on.

Edler - 60   Tanev - 50

Hutton - 80    Stetcher - 70
Six D's X 82 games is our requirement = 492 games needed from defencemen.  The likelihood is that the four above, based on their histories, will play 260 of those games - that means we have to provide NHL level defencemen to cover about 232 games - that means 3 players playing almost 80 games apiece - barring injury. There is no question that there is a spot available for Tryamkin.

• Upvote 2

On 2/13/2019 at 7:56 AM, cuporbust said:

What lesson? Dipietro s last game would have happened to anyone . Is that what u are talking about ? Lol. CdC is hilarious . First NHL game and he is a bust. I love it . 

Lesson not to pencil in rookies into the NHL before they’re ready. 

DiPietro is NOT a bust. He just shouldn’t be in the NHL right now. 

You misunderstood what I was getting at.  

DiPietro will keep improving but his callup was about two years too early. Goalies need the longest to adjust to the pros. 

8 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

It would be interesting to hear what Jim would say in a private conversation, on what he actually believed the odds were of him playing here soon or again

Any player who appears to have folded his tent as quickly as Tryamkin did will have questions surrounding him by management. IMHO anyone who thinks Willie D 

was the only reason he left are missing some key points. If anything I thing Tryamkin has a bigger challenge than he did when he first came. The positive is that he will have another 3 years of pro experience. I do not hold out a lot of hope that he will give it another try. If his team wins the KHL Cup he will be in a strong position to resign there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I do not hold out a lot of hope that he will give it another try.

I wrote this guy off ever playing in our organization or the NHL again at all as soon as he left. 

If he ever comes back to this franchise I just consider it a 'found-asset' type of situation.

• Thanks 1