The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

The whole thing on whether he COULD play or not this post-season is so confusing. I wish a reporter would ask Benning straight up what his understanding is on whether Tryamkin could play in the 2020 NHL playoffs, so we can hear directly on his interpretation of the situation and any NHL ruling on it. 

Because it either seems to be: 1) Tryamkin isn't eligible to play this post-season, or 2) Benning isn't wanting to sign him yet because we don't know what the cap situation is moving forward, and whether some of the junior leagues will be running that have other Canucks defense prospects on them, thus wanting to be strategic about who signs with the big club right away.

I feel like IF Tryamkin is eligible to play this post-season, we get him signed and figure out the rest later. Anything can happen in the post-season, so why not load up as much as possible? We know injuries on our defence are unavoidable. And when I look at our line-up when it's healthy, our bottom defensive pairing is the weakest part. With so much parity between NHL teams, it could just make the difference in a 7-game series to put us over the edge.

Edited by Slegr
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Good discussion "Lazurus" and "mll"...you're both convincing, which makes me no further ahead with knowing the answer...

I’ve had similar conversations on this topic with @mll ..  I find them all productive, ...  but it does seem there is something dis similar to Tryamkins situation than others.  The top pocket item is that Tryamkin was put on our reserve roster last year..  perhaps the NHL told them to do this..     it would be incredible to have the Opportunity to have Tryamkin play in playoff contention this season,.  And also to help burn a year off any contract offered.

Right now , I’m happy to see his probable return to Vancouver next season,.  And will be stoked if he gets playoff time with us this  season..   either way,   I have a Kesler Jersey on stand by I will be converting to Nik’s new number with us ;)

• Cheers 3

From today's Edmonton Journal (on whether Chicago's recently signed Mitchell could play on resumption:

“I can tell you that as of right now, our position, and this is something we’re going to have to ultimately resolve with the NHL Players’ Association like so many other contractual issues, but our position, the League’s position right now, and our position with our clubs since the start of the pause, is no club is entitled to sign a current‑year contract,” NHL vice-president Bill Daly said during a Zoom call with reporters. “They are free to sign future‑year contracts, so for the 2020‑21 season and beyond, perfectly fair game.

“But it would be our position, particularly given the advanced date and given the fact it could affect a lot of the players who might now be able to play the balance of the season, it may be unfair to let them play the balance of the season. We’ve progressed past the trade deadline. Each team has kind of set its roster. Its roster reflects — and everybody will come back healthy, which is a benefit to the teams — its roster really reflects its efforts in the 2019‑20 season. And to add a couple of, for lack of a better term, ‘ringers’ when you’re going into the playoffs is not the best way for sports to proceed in our view.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ve had similar conversations on this topic with @mll ..  I find them all productive, ...  but it does seem there is something dis similar to Tryamkins situation than others.  The top pocket item is that Tryamkin was put on our reserve roster last year..  perhaps the NHL told them to do this..     it would be incredible to have the Opportunity to have Tryamkin play in playoff contention this season,.  And also to help burn a year off any contract offered.

Right now , I’m happy to see his probable return to Vancouver next season,.  And will be stoked if he gets playoff time with us this  season..   either way,   I have a Kesler Jersey on stand by I will be converting to Nik’s new number with us ;)

Every player that belongs to the Canucks is on the reserve list.   Horvat, Miller are on the reserve list as players under contract.  Rathbone, Podkolzin as unsigned draftees. Tryamkin as a RFA.  It's limited to 90 players.   

CBA - Article 1 Definitions:

"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

47 minutes ago, Googlie said:

From today's Edmonton Journal (on whether Chicago's recently signed Mitchell could play on resumption:

“I can tell you that as of right now, our position, and this is something we’re going to have to ultimately resolve with the NHL Players’ Association like so many other contractual issues, but our position, the League’s position right now, and our position with our clubs since the start of the pause, is no club is entitled to sign a current‑year contract,” NHL vice-president Bill Daly said during a Zoom call with reporters. “They are free to sign future‑year contracts, so for the 2020‑21 season and beyond, perfectly fair game.

“But it would be our position, particularly given the advanced date and given the fact it could affect a lot of the players who might now be able to play the balance of the season, it may be unfair to let them play the balance of the season. We’ve progressed past the trade deadline. Each team has kind of set its roster. Its roster reflects — and everybody will come back healthy, which is a benefit to the teams — its roster really reflects its efforts in the 2019‑20 season. And to add a couple of, for lack of a better term, ‘ringers’ when you’re going into the playoffs is not the best way for sports to proceed in our view.”

Pretty clear that tryamkin cannot play for the Canucks until next season.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

I appreciate this G..   but there are holes in it,.  Daly states “I can tell you that as of right now, our position, and this is something we’re going to have to ultimately resolve with the NHL Players’ Association like so many other contractual issues, but our position, the League’s position right now, and our position with our clubs since the start of the pause, is no club is entitled to sign a current‑year contract,”

... it looks to be a more protective statement to avoid signing UFA’s for the remainder of the season after July 1st, or their availability from other leagues,  outside of any existing roster or list associated with the NHL.

Theoretically,  if this passed, it would not allow an ELC to play out of College this season as well.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I appreciate this G..   but there are holes in it,.  Daly states “I can tell you that as of right now, our position, and this is something we’re going to have to ultimately resolve with the NHL Players’ Association like so many other contractual issues, but our position, the League’s position right now, and our position with our clubs since the start of the pause, is no club is entitled to sign a current‑year contract,”

... it looks to be a more protective statement to avoid signing UFA’s for the remainder of the season after July 1st, or their availability from other leagues,  outside of any existing roster or list associated with the NHL.

Theoretically,  if this passed, it would not allow an ELC to play out of College this season as well.

This quote by Daly is about new ELCs - Boeser, Hughes, Makar, Tolvanen (KHL) would not be allowed to sign this season.  It's about 1s time ELCs - Rathbone for the Canucks, Sorokin for NYI, Romanov for Montreal, Scott Perunovich for STL, Kaprisov for Minnesota but not Tryamkin who is RFA and already cannot play.  The league does not want to allow new ELCs for this season while in the past those players were allowed to sign.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

Folks... the Tryamkin can’t play this season debate was done a few hundred pages ago.  He can’t.

Start arguing about getting him signed for next season.  That is probably the only signing that gets us off the Judd Brackett argument train :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Come on JB send us a some good news!:frantic:

Hairy, just read a recent article where Ristolianen says he believes if there are any moves to be made in Buffalo, he feels he is the first to go.

Boterhill has to make moves.. 7 years without playoffs..  I’d love to see Ristolianen here with the likes of Myers Hughes Tryamkin Rafferty Rathbone, Breisbois and Teves..  one more season to go with Edler.

I know you like Dillon,  but there’s an upside to Ristolianen I don’t think we’ve seen.

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Hairy, just read a recent article where Ristolianen says he believes if there are any moves to be made in Buffalo, he feels he is the first to go.

Boterhill has to make moves.. 7 years without playoffs..  I’d love to see Ristolianen here with the likes of Myers Hughes Tryamkin Rafferty Rathbone, Breisbois and Teves..  one more season to go with Edler.

I know you like Dillon,  but there’s an upside to Ristolianen I don’t think we’ve seen.

Only thing is the cost I guess.

17 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Ristolainen only costs us Virtanen and a mid range prospect, I do that any day of the week.

Lots of teams are looking for a top 4 RD, so prices won’t be low.  Some Buffalo players would be good targets as the culture there has ground guys down, and they could blow up once in a more positive situation.

Hughes-Risto

Edler-Myers

Tryamkin-Stecher

Benn-Rafferty

Having Edler sign a series of 1 year contracts and slowly lowering his minutes while the kids earn more would be a perfect situation. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Only thing is the cost I guess.

19 minutes ago, Provost said:

If Ristolainen only costs us Virtanen and a mid range prospect, I do that any day of the week.

Lots of teams are looking for a top 4 RD, so prices won’t be low.  Some Buffalo players would be good targets as the culture there has ground guys down, and they could blow up once in a more positive situation.

Hughes-Risto

Edler-Myers

Tryamkin-Stecher

Benn-Rafferty

Having Edler sign a series of 1 year contracts and slowly lowering his minutes while the kids earn more would be a perfect situation. 

So much of this is cap based though..

perhaps it’s time to use a good forward as an asset..

Boeser. and  the rights to (Stetcher and Tanev)  Drops our cap,  perhaps we get a 2nd or 3rd round pick as well..  maybe better if they’re in the lottery lol.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Care to share this article? I've been very interested in the hopeful opportunity to acquire him. Don't think he could be had for cheap though.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Care to share this article? I've been very interested in the hopeful opportunity to acquire him. Don't think he could be had for cheap though.

It’s within this SN article Theo.....  I cant seem to paste the link.

Quick Shifts: Anger, trade speculation swirls in Buffalo”

The National Hockey League is a world of moving pieces. I want to coach Risto next season,” Krueger said.

Ristolainen said he wants to win “if it’s in Buffalo or somewhere else” and realizes losing necessitates change.

“If changes will happen, I know I’m one of the first ones probably who is going to get traded. It’s part of the business and I’m ready, whatever happens. I have really enjoyed my time in Buffalo. It’s home for me,” said Ristolainen, who has begun wondering what a winning culture even looks like.

“I haven’t really seen it before or in Buffalo. I think this year we built our culture a little bit better than previous years,” he went on. 

“We are young. I don’t know if a lot of guys have been in winning teams or winning organizations. Personally, I haven’t. Unfortunately, the team I played for when I was back in Finland it was in the same position, coach got fired every year, players got traded, GM got fired, so I don’t really know what is it. I haven’t seen it. I wish.” 

• Thanks 1