The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 9/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

He averages 11 minutes a game during the playoffs and 12 and a half during the regular season. That's peanuts for defenseman.

He is still an extra defenseman but I might have liked him here over Benn. He did bring a solid physical presence here. Alas he chose the best chance to win the cup.

... and with Tampa Bay, Schenn has been a 3rd pairing rock in the playoffs.  He hasn’t been on the ice for a single goal against at even strength for the whole playoffs.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

... and with Tampa Bay, Schenn has been a 3rd pairing rock in the playoffs.  He hasn’t been on the ice for a single goal against at even strength for the whole playoffs.

Really is a shame we couldn't get him to stay but clearly he made the right choice for a chance at a cup.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Overblown IMO.

If they viewed him as valuable, reliable or good they would play him more than 10:52 a game. Doesn't get scored on because he barely plays enough to warrant that. I don't think you could call that Schenn a 3rd pairing rock when he so little. A solid 3rd pair D should be able to play 17-20 minutes reliably.

They seem to have more faith in Rutta who just came into the lineup to take out Schenn and played 17 minutes his first playoff game and is playing now.

Just looking over KHL stats, through 8 games so far this season, among defensemen, Tryamkin is 7th in TOI/GP (23:29), 5th in shifts/GP (31), 7th in points (5), 7th in +/- (+5), 6th in hits (17), 2nd in blocked shots (22), 20th in PIM (6), and 21st in shots on goal (15).

EDIT: And from earlier today:

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Tryamkin with 2 assists today. First was a rebound put in off a hard Tryamkin slap shot from the left point,  second goal was a tip off a strong snap shot by Tryamkin from the blue line and deflected in.

Coach Peter's has Tryamkin on the 2nd pp unit.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Just looking over KHL stats, through 8 games so far this season, among defensemen, Tryamkin is 7th in TOI/GP (23:29), 5th in shifts/GP (31), 7th in points (5), 7th in +/- (+5), 6th in hits (17), 2nd in blocked shots (22), 20th in PIM (6), and 21st in shots on goal (15).

EDIT: And from earlier today:

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin with 2 assists today. First was a rebound put in off a hard Tryamkin slap shot from the left point,  second goal was a tip off a strong snap shot by Tryamkin from the blue line and deflected in.

Coach Peter's has Tryamkin on the 2nd pp unit.

Has me seriously thinking this is a “breakout” year for Tryamkin because of Coach Peters..

seems like Tryamkin gives Peters the confidence to utilize the potential that a lot of us see.

Damn hope the timing is right for us to see him finish the end of the next NHL season with us and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

This is because Peters truly understands the value of a mobile, hard-hitting, man-mountain sized D man, which is something that I hope this year's playoffs finally drove home for all the CDC posters who think Benning should just trade Tryamkin's rights rather than waiting to sign him.

He wil change the dynamic of our D the day he signs. We will be getting an NHL ready D who fills a massive need for us.  His game is suited better for the NHL than the KHL.

What is his status once the KHL season ends?  Can he join the Canuck at the tail end of the year, or will he be able to come the following year?

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

He wil change the dynamic of our D the day he signs. We will be getting an NHL ready D who fills a massive need for us.  His game is suited better for the NHL than the KHL.

What is his status once the KHL season ends?  Can he join the Canuck at the tail end of the year, or will he be able to come the following year?

It's pretty complex and I can't for the life of me remember exactly how all the rules shake out. Here's my best recollection:

IIRC, because Tryamkin is technically considered an RFA, then the December 1st signing deadline applies, as far as whether or not he can join an NHL team in-season. So, I believe he can't simply sign and join the Canucks right after his KHL deal expires.

AFAIK, the Canucks can start negotiating a contract with him when this KHL season ends, but they can't actually sign a deal and bring him over for the end of the 2020-21season. They'd have to sign a 2021-22 effective contract. And his rights don't expire until summer 2022, so as far as the 2021-22 season goes, his choices are the Canucks (or whoever holds his rights--if they're traded), or nothing.

Interestingly, another wrinkle is that his KHL status actually exempts him from the expansion draft (the Canucks have confirmed this), so at least Seattle can't scoop up his rights.

It's basically Vancouver or bust for Nikita (at least until 2022-23), and IIRC the earliest he can actually play for the Canucks is the 2021-22 season.

(If others have the straight goods on all this, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm just going off the top of my head here and I'm not exactly 100% sure I'm correct.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

This is because Peters truly understands the value of a mobile, hard-hitting, man-mountain sized D man, which is something that I hope this year's playoffs finally drove home for all the CDC posters who think Benning should just trade Tryamkin's rights rather than waiting to sign him.

Exactly this. 

Tryamkin will never be a superstar in the NHL. He won't wow us with being flashy. His point totals will likely be low.

But people should be afraid to get hit by him. He can with battles and be very tiring in a playoff series. He can (but should not be forced to) fight if need be. He would be a role player and I think a fan favourite - as polarized as our fan base currently is on him. 

As long as he is dedicated to our team and being a professional NHL player now, I absolutely want him back. Don't get greedy, understand you are a third pairing guy and play your role. I believe he will be a very effective player in the NHL. Don't f this up, Benning.

• Upvote 1

Comparing Tryamkin to Myers or Malik is like comparing the Hulk to a bean pole.  This little snippet from an article back when he was playing here should help refresh some memories on this true, awesome size: 

If you go by official stats from NHL.com, then Nikita Tryamkin of the Vancouver Canucks is the heaviest player currently in the NHL at 6′7″, 265lbs.

However, a few years back, they had enforcer John Scott (since retired) listed at 6′8″, 270lbs, although his current NHL.com player profile shows him at 260lbs.

Other honorable mentions:

Dustin Byfuglien - 6′5″, 260lbs

Zdeno Chara - 6′9″, 250lbs

Jamie Oleksiak - 6′7″, 255lbs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Comparing Tryamkin to Myers or Malik is like comparing the Hulk to a bean pole.  This little snippet from an article back when he was playing here should help refresh some memories on this true, awesome size: 

If you go by official stats from NHL.com, then Nikita Tryamkin of the Vancouver Canucks is the heaviest player currently in the NHL at 6′7″, 265lbs.

However, a few years back, they had enforcer John Scott (since retired) listed at 6′8″, 270lbs, although his current NHL.com player profile shows him at 260lbs.

Other honorable mentions:

Dustin Byfuglien - 6′5″, 260lbs

Zdeno Chara - 6′9″, 250lbs

Jamie Oleksiak - 6′7″, 255lbs

Add to that the above average skating, and quick engagement in shutting down an F1.

.. his read on plays offensively to take the steps up.

In his simplicity of D play,.  he is stealth..

His physical presence, draws penalties.

.. and his awareness to protect his teammates is top notch.

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Add to that the above average skating, and quick engagement in shutting down an F1.

.. his read on plays offensively to take the steps up.

In his simplicity of D play,.  he is stealth..

His physical presence, draws penalties.

.. and his awareness to protect his teammates is top notch.

Big Nik is also listed now at 202cm and 115kg, so he’s 6’ 7.5” (many sites have him rounded to 6’8”) and has slimmed down to 253.5 lbs (from the 265 lbs he weighed when he was in Vancouver).

You can also see just looking at him that he’s in much better shape now. Noticeably leaner in his face, and has a more “athletic” overall look to him now (compared to a few years ago when he basically looked like a giant farm boy who was strong as **** but also a little doughy).

• Like 1