The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Can't you just see Tryamkin leading a rush up the ice with Hughes drafting in behind him. They cross the blue line and Try drops the puck between his legs to Hughes. Hughes fakes left, then right as Try skates to the net setting the screen. Try is so tall that Hughes can still roof the puck shooting between Try's legs! Perfect screen! There will be NO  way to defend against these two! 

It's great to have Quinn and possibly Rathbone or Rafferty as puck moving, offensively minded D men but the addition of Tryamkin and perhaps a very defensively sound yet physically imposing and truculent D man to add to the mix would IMO vault the Canucks into serious contention next year to play for the cup. That being said how one goes about that and still stay under the cap is the million dollar question. I hope JB finds a way to make it happen but would likely involve moving the likes of Stetcher, Benn and Fantenberg; possibly even Tanev.

• Hydration 2
On 9/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Tryamkin is technically considered an RFA, then the December 1st signing deadline applies.... he can't simply sign and join the Canucks right after his KHL deal expires....the Canucks can start negotiating a contract with him when this KHL season ends.. They'd have to sign a 2021-22 effective contract.... IIRC the earliest he can actually play for the Canucks is the 2021-22 season.

This is depressing. However, I could see the December signing deadline change given the NHL probably won’t even start until January. Maybe there will be enough of a delay to allow for his KHL season to end before a new signing deadline hits, allowing Tryamkin to still finish with the Canucks in spring 2021.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3
20 minutes ago, Slegr said:

This is depressing. However, I could see the December signing deadline change given the NHL probably won’t even start until January. Maybe there will be enough of a delay to allow for his KHL season to end before a new signing deadline hits, allowing Tryamkin to still finish with the Canucks in spring 2021.

The deadlines should change Slegr,

The NHL teams need to have their vested interests made available to them otherwise watch how the draft changes in the future..

Euro players won’t get a whiffle ball of a chance to go in the top 20.

Even the categories of ELC and what level of “agency” a player is eligible to play..

Podz gets his opportunity because he is an ELC..  Tryamkin dosent?

The League (NHL) needs to listen to GM’s on this and other topics that have been affected by Covid and the New Season start dates.

it has to change.

• Thanks 1

I hear that Tampa may have a difficult time re-signing Sergachev.  They have only $5 million in cap space and 15 players under contract for next year.  I wonder if Benning could do a re-do of the 2016 draft and trade Juolevi for Sergachev.  Tampa would save millions and they could re-sign Cernak with the added cap space.  Throw in a draft pick or prospect to close the deal.  

Imagine Sergachev and Tryamkin playing together with Podkolzin up front.  One can dream, but if you dream it is better to dream big...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I hear that Tampa may have a difficult time re-signing Sergachev.  They have only $5 million in cap space and 15 players under contract for next year.  I wonder if Benning could do a re-do of the 2016 draft and trade Juolevi for Sergachev.  Tampa would save millions and they could re-sign Cernak with the added cap space.  Throw in a draft pick or prospect to close the deal.  

Imagine Sergachev and Tryamkin playing together with Podkolzin up front.  One can dream, but if you dream it is better to dream big...

star wars trailer GIF

• Hydration 2
19 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It's great to have Quinn and possibly Rathbone or Rafferty as puck moving, offensively minded D men but the addition of Tryamkin and perhaps a very defensively sound yet physically imposing and truculent D man to add to the mix would IMO vault the Canucks into serious contention next year to play for the cup. That being said how one goes about that and still stay under the cap is the million dollar question. I hope JB finds a way to make it happen but would likely involve moving the likes of Stetcher, Benn and Fantenberg; possibly even Tanev.

I really think Benning and group will sign Tryamkin after his KHL season is over...

If it wasn't for Covid they might of signed him for this season.I listened to Tryakins agent talking on sportsnet 650..He basically said at end of July Tryamkin had to sign in KHL they could not wait..Canucks could not offer him a contract at that point due to civid and so much uncertainty ..Both sides were understanding and decided it was best for Tryamkin to play this season in KHL...We will sign him after season..Excited to see him as solid guy on PK and taking regular shift say 14-16 mins . Contract with be interesting? Maybe 1.4 million X 2 yr bonus if he averages more then 17 mins a game? 

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

Contract with be interesting? Maybe 1.4 million X 2 yr bonus if he averages more then 17 mins a game? 

I thought that the current CBA only allows performance bonuses on ELC contracts and for players aged 35 or older. Tweener bonuses are just in lieu of salary (eg, a $6 million cap hit for the year, but a $4 million bonus and $2 million salary).  Eriksson's contract is structured that way.  That's what might make him attractive to Ottawa.   Melnyk is apparently cash-strapped, and will find it hard to meet the floor, so he gets in Eriksson a cheap salary but a $6 million cap hit for a player that can still contribute in little ways

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I thought that the current CBA only allows performance bonuses on ELC contracts and for players aged 35 or older. Tweener bonuses are just in lieu of salary (eg, a $6 million cap hit for the year, but a $4 million bonus and $2 million salary).  Eriksson's contract is structured that way.  That's what might make him attractive to Ottawa.   Melnyk is apparently cash-strapped, and will find it hard to meet the floor, so he gets in Eriksson a cheap salary but a $6 million cap hit for a player that can still contribute in little ways

If they just resign their rfas and what they already have they will easily meet the floor.

They don’t need an Erickson to get there. The value of Erickson for them would be a reduction in real term cash vs cap hit, not in meeting the floor 

8 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

If they just resign their rfas and what they already have they will easily meet the floor.

They don’t need an Erickson to get there. The value of Erickson for them would be a reduction in real term cash vs cap hit, not in meeting the floor 

They have $38.237 committed, and the floor is $60.2, so they are $21.962 under the floor.  

That's a lot to throw at RFAs

See:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/ottawa-senators/cap/2020

Eriksson gives them about 1/3 of that for minimal actual cash being spent

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

They have $38.237 committed, and the floor is $60.2, so they are $21.962 under the floor.  

That's a lot to throw at RFAs

See:

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/ottawa-senators/cap/2020

Eriksson gives them about 1/3 of that for minimal actual cash being spent

Then only have 9 players signed for next year.

If you consider a team to be usually 13F, 7D, and 2G, then Ottawa has 13 players to sign. That's an avg of $1.7M per player to reach the floor. They can do it easily. 

Even if they trade for Eriksson, they still need to sign 12 more players just to field a team. 

Eriksson only saves them any actual dollars if he's paid less cash than one of the 13 players they would need to sign anyways. And Ottawa has Brady Thachuk as an RFA next year who'll make big dollars

• Upvote 1
50 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

If you consider a team to be usually 13F, 7D, and 2G, then Ottawa has 13 players to sign. That's an avg of $1.7M per player to reach the floor. They can do it easily. 

Even if they trade for Eriksson, they still need to sign 12 more players just to field a team. 

Eriksson only saves them any actual dollars if he's paid less cash than one of the 13 players they would need to sign anyways. And Ottawa has Brady Thachuk as an RFA next year who'll make big dollars

There isn't a single in the NHL that will need help to get to the cap floor for at least the next 2 seasons.  Every team will comfortably get there.  LE is going nowhere.  I get he would only cost 2.5 in real cash, but why would any team accept that.  They can get a far better player for 2.5 real cash.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

There isn't a single in the NHL that will need help to get to the cap floor for at least the next 2 seasons.  Every team will comfortably get there.  LE is going nowhere.  I get he would only cost 2.5 in real cash, but why would any team accept that.  They can get a far better player for 2.5 real cash.

No, nobody will have problems reaching the floor. They could reach the floor while paying less than floor in actual cash though, which could be attractive to the right team/ownership.

Not sure that's Ottawa though as they've basically nixed most of their big dollar contracts as you noted Wellwood.

If (and agreed, it's a BIG if) we're able to move him, I'd imagine it would need to be something a bit more creative. Something like Eriksson + rights to/negotiated extension to Stecher (+/-) for Stralman out of FLA.

Eriksson saves them $5m of actual cash over the next two years vs Stralman ($3.5m this year) which basically means they get a younger, club controlled, replacement RHD for 'free', as well as a depth F for basically the same cash as Stralman.

It helps us as Stralman's cap is already $500k less than Eriksson's PLUS we'd be effectively saving the $2-$3m of filling the 3RHD slot. 

That said, I fully expect we're going to need to simply waive him and it's one of: AHL (most likely), retire or mutually terminate.

I have stated in the past that I see Tryamkin as the replacement ( eventually) for Tanev..

In this play,.  This is how the 2 players differ and I see Tryamkin as the better shut down, end of cycle D man.

Tanev “tracks” his opponents into his own D zone.

Tryamkin  pressures his gap and 90 % of the time kills any set up , or press into the D zone.

It typically goes U.N. noticed because it’s an execution play, and not a strategy.

its a simple kill play,  and not one looking to create time for other team mates,  or opposing team mates to set up.

His size and skating abilities cause this. 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

...and then hearing this $&!#e..

Proves he is a Keeper.

I'm thinking they are desperate to find a suitable replacement for Chara, who is getting long in the tooth. Tryamkin might be that guy but a 6th is an insult IMO. Personally I think Van would be much better off and further ahead towards vying for the cup with Tryamkin onboard. He brings a lot of attributes that the other D men on the team just do not have

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1