The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ Speculation of Possibilities] Canucks potential trade destination for Evgeni Malkin

I don't understand, how does giving the Sedins for Malkin equals to giving up?

My comment to you has nothing to do with the Sedins or Malkin.

However, it has everything to do with this:

"competition will be much harder for us to even make the playoffs."

And saves about $60 million in salary.

And takes an over 2x9Million cap hit when Weber decides to retire 2 years before the end of his contract as he would only be leaving 2M on the table (figure is for a trade this summer) and his new new team would be clearing his 7.9M cap hit with no recapture penalty (-1 year before is a cap hit of over 18M for Nashville).
Other than it being a bad hockey decision, it's a bad business one at so many levels. The most obvious being Cap Recapture: trading Weber limits Nashville's ability to influence his early retirement date or to possibly buy him out (if compliance buyouts are ever reintroduced, regular buyout is not really interesting because of how his contract is structured).

It's not because the Canucks decided that they could live with anything between a "4years x 2.35M" to "1year x 8M" cap hit if Luongo retires before age 43 that Nashville is willing to let another team dictate their cap hit.

Vbrata + Bonino + Bieksa + Higgins + Sbisa + 1st for Pouliot and Malkin

Lots of cap space open up now.

Sign Frolik 1 year 4M

Sign Cody Franson 2 years 4.3M

Big trade, never going to happen, but it'd fill a lot of both team's needs. Pittsburgh get their defence re-tooled and some offence back, plus a good pick. Canucks throw away the veterans they don't want anymore and get some quality back.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Malkin - Frolik

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - Matthias - Burrows

Jensen - Vey - Gaunce (injury fill-ins)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Franson

Pouliot - Corrado

Stanton - Clendening (injury fill-ins)

Miller

Lack

Markstrm

O'Connor

Vbrata + Bonino + Bieksa + Higgins + Sbisa + 1st for Pouliot and Malkin

Lots of cap space open up now.

Sign Frolik 1 year 4M

Sign Cody Franson 2 years 4.3M

Big trade, never going to happen, but it'd fill a lot of both team's needs. Pittsburgh get their defence re-tooled and some offence back, plus a good pick. Canucks throw away the veterans they don't want anymore and get some quality back.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Baertschi - Malkin - Frolik

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Dorsett - Matthias - Burrows

Jensen - Vey - Gaunce (injury fill-ins)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Franson

Pouliot - Corrado

Stanton - Clendening (injury fill-ins)

Miller

Lack

Markstrm

O'Connor

Yeah sick retool. Here take two terrible defensemen. Man I bet theyd jump all over that. I dont understand why people think other teams want players that most of us dont even want on our team bad enough to trade top prospects and top 5 in the world players for them. Even if they did want to do this trade it would never work cap wise without mass retention on our part.

SwedeHockey;

Malkin is young enough but I would not do that deal. I have never liked Malkin as a player. He is mentally weak and caves when times get tough. Never forgot his famous 'bird' at the WJC when Team Canada ran the Russians out of the rink. Ovy had class Malkin did not. Pitt might do a deal if they decide the CAP hit is to much to have both Malkin and Crosby.

Canucks are developing a younger time line based around Horvat. I don't want weak character types like Malkin corrupting that development. If the Canucks moved the Twins I would spend that CAP on the defense and a 1LW.

SwedeHockey;

Malkin is young enough but I would not do that deal. I have never liked Malkin as a player. He is mentally weak and caves when times get tough. Never forgot his famous 'bird' at the WJC when Team Canada ran the Russians out of the rink. Ovy had class Malkin did not. Pitt might do a deal if they decide the CAP hit is to much to have both Malkin and Crosby.

Canucks are developing a younger time line based around Horvat. I don't want weak character types like Malkin corrupting that development. If the Canucks moved the Twins I would spend that CAP on the defense and a 1LW.

he did, however, win a conn smythe.......so he doesn't always cave when the chips are down

No way would I wanna take on Malkin. He doesn't even care anymore. We don't want players who don't care here. That's why I have been a big advocate of the kids making the team. Guys like Baertschi and Shinky and Gaunce and Horvat all care. We need them to be Big here because that attitude is infectious. Ryan Miller for cap space and acquire a PMD thru free agency or trade. That's our team's summer, boys. Are you ready?

If we want Malkin...

Start with Virtanen and a 1st round pick plus a few more things...

You don't trade a big all star centre and former league MVP/Playoff MVP/Leading Scorer etc. in his prime for nothing less than a King's ransom.

I agree that the canucks probably aren't the best trading partner, but the Pens would want established players, imo, for Malkin. They are not rebuilding as long as Sid is in his prime. They will be going for it every year he is a dominant player.

I agree that the canucks probably aren't the best trading partner, but the Pens would want established players, imo, for Malkin. They are not rebuilding as long as Sid is in his prime. They will be going for it every year he is a dominant player.

Yep, people seem to think that every organization is at the same point as the Canucks and wanting to rebuild.

The Penguins are where we were 3-4 years ago, trying to add the depth and role player positions that will put them over the top.

The only question is whether they could or would be able to make effectively a 1 for 1 swap of elite level players like Malkin. That is pretty unlikely as not many teams want to give up their own elite player, and I can't think of any situations like the Kesler one this year where there is a player demanding to get out of their situation.

That leaves the Penguins either keeping Malkin for an excellent secondary scoring line (which also helps Crosby significantly because opponents can't just key on him).... or finding a package of veteran role players who solidify their entire lineup.

If it is the latter, we have a fine group of guys who would help a contending team. A package with 2 or 3 of: Vrbata, Bonino, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Kassian, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, and Miller could be the start of a realistic conversation.

If we drop one of our defence we can open the bank a little and sign a UFA like Franson or make a trade with other assets for a solid top 4 guy.

Hamhuis, vrabata, shinkaruk, markstrom 2015 1st

For

Malkin, Pouliot, 2nd

That IMHO is straight up fair that helps both teams be very very competitive now and in the future

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Bonino Malkin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Hansen

Higgins Richardsson Dorsett

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Franson

Pouliot Bieksa

Archived