The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ Speculation of Possibilities] Canucks potential trade destination for Evgeni Malkin

I would tell Rutherford to pick any one forward not named Horvat or Sedin and any defenseman he wants. Done deal.

Yep, pretty much.

Though I don't suspect we will be sending any of our up and coming prospects in trades, we simply need them too badly to start stepping up. I don't see Horvat or Virtanen being moved out unless they were the deal breaker. Luckily, I think the Penguins are still in a win now mode and wanting veteran pieces to help them get over the top while Crosby is still producing. Does a package of our veteran guys get that done? Would they be better off getting a similar elite player in a 1 for 1 swap?

Not many names on an untouchable list though, if the return is a legit #1 centre to take over from the Sedins as they head into retirement or a lesser role in the near future. Having a Sedin 2nd line for the next 2-4 years would still be excellent.

Assuming the Canucks traded the Sedins for Malkin, that would mean that another big salary would have to be coming our way, at least $5M worth. Even then, the Penguins would be hard against the cap. They would need to clear out at least one of Dupuis and Kunitz unless they want to dress 5 defencemen for part of the season again.

Malkin had a bad performance this playoff. He has produced a lot over his career but I would be cautious about pursuing him (if we even had the pieces to do it). It's tempting to think about but I would be shocked if this went down.

Assuming the Canucks traded the Sedins for Malkin, that would mean that another big salary would have to be coming our way, at least $5M worth. Even then, the Penguins would be hard against the cap. They would need to clear out at least one of Dupuis and Kunitz unless they want to dress 5 defencemen for part of the season again.

Malkin had a bad performance this playoff. He has produced a lot over his career but I would be cautious about pursuing him (if we even had the pieces to do it). It's tempting to think about but I would be shocked if this went down.

Not ever is it even close to pretending to be happening, let alone actually happening, but no it doesn't. 2 words: cap retention.

Something like this could be financially viable(albeit, highly unlikely):

Twins + Tanev(18.5 mill commitment, 14 mill of cap, off the books in a few yrs)

Malkin & Letang(about 1.5 mill less, 17 mill?)

The two Pens are signed for about seven more yrs. Health has been an issue for the both of them.

The Sedins probably get a better shot at the Cup in Pitt . With Daniel & Letang having concussion-history, this seems reasonably fair, both ways. To move two LT cap-hits, is something the Pens would probably think hard over.

How many franchises(league-wide) could accomodate 17~19 mill AAV packages? Not many. Just off-season nonsense, but fodder for armchair GM's...

Why would the Pens do that. They would probably have way better deals on the table.

This. Malkin is a dream and a team like St. Louis would destroy anything we'd have to offer, unless it was Edler+Virtanen+Horvat+1st which I seriously hope Benning wouldn't even consider.

Wow, last time the Sedin's were rumoured to be traded for someone straight up it was Olli Jokinen. Looks like they're moving up in this world.

This is huge for the Sedins. They're going to be famous if this deal goes through.

Something like this could be financially viable(albeit, highly unlikely):

Twins + Tanev(18.5 mill commitment, 14 mill of cap, off the books in a few yrs)

Malkin & Letang(about 1.5 mill less, 17 mill?)

The two Pens are signed for about seven more yrs. Health has been an issue for the both of them.

The Sedins probably get a better shot at the Cup in Pitt . With Daniel & Letang having concussion-history, this seems reasonably fair, both ways. To move two LT cap-hits, is something the Pens would probably think hard over.

How many franchises(league-wide) could accomodate 17~19 mill AAV packages? Not many. Just off-season nonsense, but fodder for armchair GM's...

Adding Letang completely skews the value though. We'd win that in a landslide and Pitt would never do it.

This. Malkin is a dream and a team like St. Louis would destroy anything we'd have to offer, unless it was Edler+Virtanen+Horvat+1st which I seriously hope Benning wouldn't even consider.

I dont see why Pitt would even consider trading for that. They want to win now not rebuild. Totally wrong sort of package.

Archived