The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[ Speculation of Possibilities] Canucks potential trade destination for Evgeni Malkin

@N7Nucks

So with your logic, you wouldn't trade the Sedins for Crosby either? I mean 140 points vs 86 right?... Two aging 34 years olds for the 27year old best player in the world in his prime is a no no?

I know that for the Canucks to get Malkin would be a pipe dream but if the offer was made, I'd make it in a heartbeat.

If Malkin isn't in Pittsburgh, he's a number one center in any top contending team.

Not to mention, he's 7 years younger than the Sedins. He's dynamic, fast, and has great hockey IQ and by far superior than either Sedin. He, like Crosby, makes any player around him better while the Sedins utilize eachother through set plays and set plays are all they have.

No I wouldn't because that guts our depth. Lol.

Edit: This isn't the NBA. You can't succeed with one great player. 2 Sedins > Crosby. I stand by that. Sure getting Crosby means we get a generational talent for 10-12 years. Whereas the Sedins are 4-6 if we are lucky. Crosby on this current team, minus the Sedins = No playoffs.

The NHL is about 4 lines. Crosby's cap hit and Malkin's are near 9-10 mil if I recall. A lot of cap for one player. Sedins combined are 14, and for shorter term. Not to mention playing in the West they are far more use to the competition and travel. Malkin and Crosby would have to readjust. Crosby has concussion history, heavy hitting Pacific might just do him in.

No I wouldn't because that guts our depth. Lol.

Edit: This isn't the NBA. You can't succeed with one great player. 2 Sedins > Crosby. I stand by that. Sure getting Crosby means we get a generational talent for 10-12 years. Whereas the Sedins are 4-6 if we are lucky. Crosby on this current team, minus the Sedins = No playoffs.

The NHL is about 4 lines. Crosby's cap hit and Malkin's are near 9-10 mil if I recall. A lot of cap for one player. Sedins combined are 14, and for shorter term. Not to mention playing in the West they are far more use to the competition and travel. Malkin and Crosby would have to readjust. Crosby has concussion history, heavy hitting Pacific might just do him in.

2 is always better than one.... unless you're talking about the Sweatt bros.

I think the Sedins are the best players we have ever had in our franchise. They don't take nights off. They don't slack off after signing a big contract. They train to get better every summer.

But if I were to given a chance to trade the Sedins for Malkin, I would seriously consider it. My only question mark with Malkin is his motivation. His skills set needs no elaboration here.

Theoretically speaking, 2 is not better than 1, because by subtracting 1 player you open another roster spot up for another player. So therefore it's not really 2 vs 1, but 2 vs 2. The only question is then who the other one is.

Canucks don't have enough top 6 wingers to make it work for us right now, but if I was a team say Tampa with so much depth in prospects up front (I believe), they could make it work.

I'd trade for malkin for the right price. I wouldn't trade Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi, Demko or Subban. If we have to give up a couple future 1st rounders DON'T. DO. THE. DEAL.!!!!

Players like this don't come on the market often. Yet you wouldn't trade Baertschi, Demko or Subban essentially B-level prospects. There is not a player, a prospect or a draft pick that should not be available for a player of this stature. Yes you don't trade them all but you need to include some quality to get one of the top five players in the world.

Would not want to see Bo or Virt go but again for a top 5 player in the world they are available if needed.

Malkin has said in the past he would go back to Russia if traded and this just seems like conjecture put out as a rumour to generate web hits.

I came here expecting an actual rumour, but instead got baseless speculation. Cool.

If you really want to discuss what it'd take to get Malkin, another poster had the same idea a couple days ago:

[Value of] Realistic Malkin offer....

Come to think of it, I was wondering where Sportsnet would get an idea like this, now I know.

EDIT: And here's another from a few days before the other one:

[Value of] What would it take to get Malkin?

And one saying the Pens won't be trading Malkin:

Pens will not fire HC, GM, or trade Malkin and Crosby

Lol Malkin is only 150 points less than Daniel in and 200 less than hank in 500 less games played. Malkin's ppg almost equals the Sedin's ppg combined. We'd need a player that's like .4ppg to make up the difference. If the Pens would consider this and Malkin would even consider playing here, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

haha. what a bunch of BS.

First off theres no chance in hell that the Sedins go anywhere else but Sweden. They are 120% committed to this franchise in whatever state of competing its in.

The ONLY way this happens is if Rutherford is willing to accept some combination of Bonino, Vrbata, Hamhuis, Edler, Kassian, Lack, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen and possibly McCann/Cassels/Shinkaruk... Which who knows...? Maybe they want to finally balance their lineup, and dealing Malkin would certainly open up the cap space and allow for multiple contracts into the lineup.... But Im willing to bet that thered be some far better offers than the mediocre veterans and mid level prospects that we can offer up.

Sedins, Horvat, Virtanen are 100% untouchable.

But for the sake of fantasy... Heres the overpayment...

To Pitts:

Bonino, Hansen, Vrbata - 2016 UFA, Hamhuis - 2016 UFA,(whos hanging with Crosby as we speak), McCann, 1st

To Vancouver:

Malkin

2015 lineup:

baertschi malkin kassian

sedin sedin burrows

higgins horvat virtanen

kenins gaunce dorsett

vey

edler tanev

clendenning corrado

sbisa bieksa

weber

stanton

this would put the Canucks back into win now mode and give them the roster space to sprinkle in more youth, but the D still has a $&!#e tonne of question marks.

2016 Pitts:

kunitz crosby hornqvist

perron bonino vrbata

dupuis sutter bennett

spalding ? hansen

hamhuis letang

maata pouliot

scuderi dumolin/harrington

meh... cant see ptts doing this deal without horvat being involved.

That deal wouldnt work at all. Why would Pitt give up a top 10 if not top 5 player in the world for 2 third liners, 2 not so good prospects and an expensive, aging, bottom pairing defensemen? People wont take our spare parts for top players. It makes no sense, cmon.

Bieksa

Bonino

2015 1st

One of shinkarurk/virt/Mcann

Is prob more realistic and I bet Pitt asks for Hamhuis

If we are going to trade with them lets just get the retool over with

Bieksa

2015 1st

2016 1st

Bonino

Shink

For

Malkin

Pouliot

2015 2nd

I am sure Rutherford will be quick to jump on a package of Burrows Vrbata Bieksa/Hamhuis and picks over Hall, Draisatl, Nugent Hopkins, Yakupov etc

Because there are 3 or 4 other teams right now that would bury themselves for Malkin. And with those knees...they are welcome to it. Rather maintain our status quo fading in to the sunset with this core than sell the future for Malkin

That deal wouldnt work at all. Why would Pitt give up a top 10 if not top 5 player in the world for 2 third liners, 2 not so good prospects and an expensive, aging, bottom pairing defensemen? People wont take our spare parts for top players. It makes no sense, cmon.

You do realize I wasn't serious with that offer, right?

It would take a lot to get him.

Archived