The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs looking to deal Kessel prior to draft

If the leafs is willing to eat some of his cap hit. I don't see why we shouldn't try to make an offer.

Hmmmm.....why don't we?

Well...even WITH salary retention, he's right now an $8 million per year cap player. He's lazy, doesn't back check and is on the books I think for like 6 or 7 more years at that cap hit. His salary for a few years will be $10 million

On the other hand, Alex Semin is a $7 million per year player. He is also lazy and doesn't back check but also has a contract expiring in 2 years. But...he also plays on a team looking for relief with the 5th overall pick

If we're going for a lazy sniper with no other redeemable qualities...I think I know where I am placing my suggestion

I would be interested to see what his trade value is. He is a good offensive player, but someone you can't build a team around, and he is making 8 million per year. I would put it at a lesser player who is making 3-5 million, plus a 1st round pick.

Potential partners:

Buffalo - Bad fit. Not the kind of player they should have in their re-build. Potential player return: Moulson, Ennis, plus pick

Calgary - Mediocre fit. Calgary has the cap space, the supporting cast, and character/grit. That said I don't think he is a good fit. Potential return: not sure

Chicago - Mediocre fit. Why he would be a pretty good fit on the ice, his contract would hamper them. Potential return: Hjarlmarrson + Bickell/Versteeg

Colorado - decent fit. Colorado has a decent crop of players, Kessel wouldn't really need to "lead the team" with character guys like Landeskog and Duchene. O'Reilly for Kessler would make sense for both teams if O'Reilly doesn't want to stay long-term in Colorado. Colorado was pretty bad offensively last year too. I can kind of imagine O'Reilly being "the guy" in Toronto. Potential return: Ryan O'Reilly.

Detroit - potentially good fit. If Toronto is in a re-build mode, they could probably pry a good prospect/picks from Detroit if they take Weiss back. Potential return: Weiss + top picks/prospect

Florida - Decent fit. Again, Kessel isn't a player you build a team around but he would give the offense a good shot in the arm. Cap wise the Panthers are good, but they are a very low budget team and Kessel is expensive. Bolland would have to go the other way.

Nashville - Good fit. Nashville has the cap space, and don't have any expensive forwards. Competitive, and odd players like Riberio seem to do well there. Fairly low pressure environment too, yet a good fan base to play in front of. Potential return: I don't know what they would send back. Perhaps Nystrom/Stalberg, Wilson and a pick?

St. Louis - Decent fit. Stastny going the other way makes sense. Potential return: Paul Stastny + conditional pick.

I actually watched a solid Leafs Lunch about these three teams.

The end consensus is that there is no point trading for an established player. The Leafs are signalling a full tear down and rebuild. Moving Kessel for O'Reilly/Weber etc is pointless. It needs to be picks or players under 23 to work with their timeline.

Their thought was that futures need to be had. Not stop gaps without any guarantee of signing

Some of those make sense no question though

Kessel eh....

hmmm....

interested to whom would have significant interest there. He's got a friggin monster contract. I know he scores goals, but the guy has been a liability and has pulled a no show when times get tough.

I was thinking something like:

To Car:

Kessel

24th OA

+?

To Tor:

Skinner

5th OA

+?

Kessel eh....

hmmm....

interested to whom would have significant interest there. He's got a friggin monster contract. I know he scores goals, but the guy has been a liability and has pulled a no show when times get tough.

I was thinking something like:

To Car:

Kessel

24th OA

+?

To Tor:

Skinner

5th OA

+?

Add Kadri.

I actually watched a solid Leafs Lunch about these three teams.

The end consensus is that there is no point trading for an established player. The Leafs are signalling a full tear down and rebuild. Moving Kessel for O'Reilly/Weber etc is pointless. It needs to be picks or players under 23 to work with their timeline.

Their thought was that futures need to be had. Not stop gaps without any guarantee of signing

Some of those make sense no question though

Good feedback, thanks Warhippy. Nashville probably makes the most sense.

If Kessel's contract was 6 million and not front loaded he would be so much easier to move. 10 million is a huge amount of salary to pay for some of these lower budget teams, especially considering he is not worth it.

If I were Florida, throwing 6.5 million for 2 years at Riberio is probably more attractive than paying Kessel 10, 9, 9 over the next three years, plus having to send off valuable young assets. Don't get me wrong, Kessel is a step up from Riberio but he isn't worth BOTH the extra salary and assets to a poor team IMO. That said, Toronto is a rich team and if they retained half Kessel's salary his return would be great from Nashville, Colorado or Florida (can even throw NYI into that mix).

I am actually looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Let's trade for Kessel! And for the love of God, Sanguinetti and Subban NEED to be on the team next year. Baertschi's a bust, not even 2 PPG in the AHL. And why didn't we sign Panarin and all the other good free agents instead of scrubs like Sautner?!!?!111?!

/desiboy

If I was drinking coffee I woulda spit it out lol I was thinking by the second sentence...wtf?!? Does Desi have an alt account..Then the ending lol well played :)

That contract is just too big of a risk for any team to take. He shows so many red flags and has such a poor reputation. Yes, if you can somehow reach him, and get him to play a full rounded out game AND find him two players that can play with him, it would be a steal of a trade. If not, you're stuck. No way, too many other options available including just fielding youth. I don't see a big return coming back to Toronto

I guess it really just depends on want Toronto wants and if they'd be willing to retain cap to get me interested.

It would be silly for florida to move a bunch of their assets that they have spent years sucking for they finally are out of the basement. What they really need is time and a young goalie to take over for Luongo in 3 yrs.

Kessel trade for them would actually set them back

The irony of this is that Florida traded that 'young goalie to take over Luongo' to us for Lu himself. I could see them going after one of Ottawa's young goalies.

Kessel and Phaneuf at full contract hit don't get you much return as they are overpaid for what they bring.

Retain $2 million for each of their contracts (no big deal for Toronto who should have several players on ELCs countering that for the next few years)... and suddenly you can get a high 1st round and a solid prospect for each.

I will PUNCH the first person that suggests we trade for kessel!

There have been quite a few suggestions already in the proposals section, ever since the Leafs announced they'd approved a full-scale rebuild and Phaneuf and Kessel weren't in the plans.

Do you need someone to go back to see who gets that punch?

You can't blame the whole situation in Toronto simply on Kessel, especially since it seems the entire team seems to be suffering. In a weird way, you could say he managed to produce in spite of negative circumstances. I'd bet a fresh start in a lower-pressure market and he'd do fine.

He's obviously no fit for the Canucks, but at 27 and a proven scorer he isn't unmovable.

Archived