The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

48 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

It was tough to watch Brock in that much distress but great to see Pettersson and Hughes by his side.  Whatever else you say about Brock, his team mates love him and he's a great person.  Of course there are questions about his next contract and fit on this team but as a fan, I'm keeping them separate from the sympathy I feel for him as a person. 

of course, I doubt you'd find anyone who doesn't think BB is a good person

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's not like Brock is just some charity case.

He's been hovering just under the 30 goal pace his entire career. He has one bad year where he's going through it and still pots 20+ goals (under Bruce I think he was scoring at a 25ish goal pace).

Life-aside, he is a proven goal scorer and consistent 20 goal scorer at the worst. At the best, sky's the limit - I don't think we've seen the best of him. He could easily score 30-40 goals in the current era.

Purely-hockey based, now would be a stupid time to give up on him, just because of 1 year of a slightly bad contract. After his QO we likely sign him long-term to 5.5-6M. 

For all the Brock haters, go see what the Penguins fans think of him. They consider him their number 1 target. Not many players have a shot like him.

Luckily from what it sounds like, management are going to find a way to keep him. It's just people of these boards who want him gone because of 1 year of a cap hit 1.5-2M over his true value.

Meanwhile we've got 2.5M Dickinson and Poolman playing like 800K 4th liner/3rd pairing defencemen and there's nowhere near as much uproar.

Agreed.

Despite some injuries and what sounds like an emotionally draining season (Watching your Dad slip away when you live across the continent) he is still a 20-25 goal scorer.  I think this is probably his floor.  Add to that he is really close with a number of other core players.

There are lots of reasons for him to want to stay, he is a character guy, always has been, and with it being an off year, I think we can hope he signs for a reasonable contract number.  If he does I think we are better for it.  

Edited by dm_ranger
  • Like 1

In a CHEK television interview with Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal on Monday, Boeser’s agent Ben Hankinson said that while the question about his dad caught him off-guard, he thought it was good for him to “just let it out.”

“I think Brock was a little rattled, even after, thinking that he screwed up, and was embarrassed,” Hankinson said on Donnie and Dhali. “But in today’s day and age… it’s just good for him to emotionally go through that and let people see what the average person deals with. Just because he’s a great hockey player doesn’t make it any different.”

Hankinson said that Duke had difficulty attending a game in Minnesota when the Canucks visited on March 24, and that he wasn’t in attendance for their second visit on April 21. The Canucks allowed Boeser to stay an extra night in Minnesota on the second visit, Hankinson said, giving him more time with his family.

“Over the course of the year I would tell Brock that if he needs time away, if he has to go home, let me know, and we’ll make it happen,” Bruce Boudreau told reporters this morning. “If you have a core covenant on your team, the first thing is always family first. I firmly believe in that.”

Seeing Boeser in tears struck a nerve with Canucks fans on Sunday. Everyone was heartbroken for him, while some fans on social media took aim at Postmedia’s Ben Kuzma for asking the question in the first place.

Hankinson provided insight into what he and his client thought about the line of questioning.

“I don’t think it was out of line,” said Hankinson. “I didn’t have a problem with it because Brock didn’t have a problem with it. Overall I think it’s good that it got out.”

Back to the business of hockey, it will be very interesting to see what changes the new Canucks management team makes this summer. Boeser is a pending restricted free agent, and is due a $7.5 million qualifying offer.

That’s a hefty price tag given Boeser’s level of production in 2021-22. Perhaps that gives the Canucks an incentive to trade him, but it also hurts his market value in a potential deal.

Is there a long term contract to be signed between Boeser and the Canucks that satisfies both sides? Or will the Canucks simply opt to buck up on a short term deal?

“We’ve got some work to do,” Hankinson said regarding contract negotiations. “I talked to them during the year — Patrik [Allvin], and Jimmy [Rutherford] before Patrik got there. I have a good relationship with both those guys. Hopefully we’ll figure something out. Obviously they have to look at every other player and where they fit in the cap.”

Only 14 wingers in the NHL this season had a cap hit over $7.5 million. Teammate Conor Garland produced more points than Boeser with fewer opportunities, and makes just $4.95 million.

“It’ll be a little bit of a battle to figure it all out, but the plan is to get Brock back there next year, and many more years to come.”

Hankinson said Boeser loves playing in Vancouver, and isn’t turned off by the pressure of playing in Canada.

“Goal scorers, in particular, get measured on your numbers, and that’s the way it should be. You’re on stage and the fans pay a lot of money to watch games and are loyal, especially in a Canadian market, it’s fabulous. Brock has never ducked that… He loves it. He loves it in Vancouver.”

It’s clear from the response from fans on Sunday that Vancouver loves Boeser back.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-loves-vancouver-work-new-contract-canucks

• Like 2

12 hours ago, stawns said:

If they're willing to move a good young dman for him, sign me up.  The Canucks need good young dmen a lot more than they need a 20-25, $6m+ goal scorer.

This, sadly, I do understand, I just hope there's other ways to get there. I'd rather trade Garland for that D man if there's a market for it over Boeser.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This, sadly, I do understand, I just hope there's other ways to get there. I'd rather trade Garland for that D man if there's a market for it over Boeser.

Garland was a significantly more valuable player than Boeser this year, and is going to be cheaper than whatever Brock signs for.

Of course, because of this, Garland likely has a lot more trade value. I doubt the offers for Boeser would include an impact defenseman. So maybe it's the only play if we need to make a W/D trade.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

Garland was a significantly more valuable player than Boeser this year, and is going to be cheaper than whatever Brock signs for.

Of course, because of this, Garland likely has a lot more trade value. I doubt the offers for Boeser would include an impact defenseman. So maybe it's the only play if we need to make a W/D trade.

Exactly this, I think Garland at 5M could go nicely to a Cup contending team, especially one who bow out due to lack of scoring.

Is Garland enough straight up for Marino? Schneider? What if we add a 2-4th pick, or Woo?

I'd do any of those combinations in a heart beat. If a team has any value or interest in Poolman (to replace their lost D man's minutes) with maybe 1M retained, I'd do that too.

I think Boeser will be too hard to trade with a 6M tag but also, now would be trading him low because he's at his lowest ever value.

14 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly this, I think Garland at 5M could go nicely to a Cup contending team, especially one who bow out due to lack of scoring.

Is Garland enough straight up for Marino? Schneider? What if we add a 2-4th pick, or Woo?

I'd do any of those combinations in a heart beat. If a team has any value or interest in Poolman (to replace their lost D man's minutes) with maybe 1M retained, I'd do that too.

I think Boeser will be too hard to trade with a 6M tag but also, now would be trading him low because he's at his lowest ever value.

Keeping boeser and moving garland woyid be a "fire worthy" offense, imo.  Try and move Boeser and if you can't, let him go to UFA and have the valuable cap space

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

So it's 7.5 with Brock unless we take him to arbitration?

What of we don't qualify him and just send him a contract offer? Is that possible?

I think this is pretty much what is going on right now. 

A contract can be agreed upon prior to having to submit a QO.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NucknAsia said:

I do hope that after seeing Brock in the end of season media panel, after seeing what he's been going through, that Canucks' fans start realizing that hockey players are human beings too. They are not video game characters who don't have personal issues. Brock has been so close to his father, he lost a close friend as a teenager, his father has been ill for a very long time, and people ignore that he's human and this can affect your mental ability to focus, your desire to compete, everything.

Sending prayers to Brock and his family, and hoping he re-signs here and lifts a cup for Duke in Vancouver. 

Well said. I feel like this is going to hit Nuck nation pretty hard. I can't find the words to navigate through this, other than: I love Brock Boeser. :(

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

I cannot wait for brock to have a great year next season. 
Score 35 goals which everyone knows he’s capable of, and finally shut up the losers on here that make the stupid comments that even tho he scores at a 30 goal pace he’s “not a 30 goal scorer” 

my prayers go out to you brock for your family and your father . 
You will get through this and show all your haters how dumb they are for doubting you when your going through this stressful time.

• Upvote 1

I'll do my best to try to remember Brock and the Boeser family in my prayers. What a tough time for them all. For Brock, the silver lining is that it's coming at a time when he is off and has more time to grieve without pressure to return or perform.

This year was another lesson in understanding the human side of hockey for me. No doubt his hard personal year impacted his motivation and drive on the ice.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

56 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'll do my best to try to remember Brock and the Boeser family in my prayers. What a tough time for them all. For Brock, the silver lining is that it's coming at a time when he is off and has more time to grieve without pressure to return or perform.

This year was another lesson in understanding the human side of hockey for me. No doubt his hard personal year impacted his motivation and drive on the ice.

as rough as this is, I'm glad for his dad that he can be at home surrounded by his family right now. 

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1