The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

He is one of a handful of players I've been laser-focused on in camp. I have to say he hasn't been particularly impactful. Then again, neither has Bo Horvat. Until we have handful of pre-season games behind us, I don't think ANY conclusions can be made about the younger prospects yet....even the suddenly surging Virtanen. ;)

49 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

How has Brock been so far in main camp?  Haven't heard much from anyone yet.

Been disappointing so far. At this rate, he might end up in Utica to start the season (which isn't a bad idea). 

17 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

He is one of a handful of players I've been laser-focused on in camp. I have to say he hasn't been particularly impactful. Then again, neither has Bo Horvat. Until we have handful of pre-season games behind us, I don't think ANY conclusions can be made about the younger prospects yet....even the suddenly surging Virtanen. ;)

I watched the scrimmage video and would say he played "safe" and looked apprehensive at times.   I was very impressed how confidence Virtanen looked in comparison.   One player (Boeser) seems to be worried about making mistakes that may lead to him being demoted and the other (Virtanen) seems to be focused on making good plays so he stays where he thinks he belongs.   Mindset can be a powerful tool for these guys.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I watched the scrimmage video and would say he played "safe" and looked apprehensive at times.   I was very impressed how confidence Virtanen looked in comparison.   One player (Boeser) seems to be worried about making mistakes that may lead to him being demoted and the other (Virtanen) seems to be focused on making good plays so he stays where he thinks he belongs.   Mindset can be a powerful tool for these guys.

I think having his former coach as the new Canuck coach is an advantage for Jake as well.  He certainly knew what to expect at training camp.

• Upvote 4

On 2017-09-07 at 11:42 PM, nergish said:

Yeah, I don't see how this isn't more clear to our fanbase - Linden and Benning ARE avoiding the Edmonton model, by NOT necessarily picking BPA and picking positionally in most cases. They're not picking good players that don't fit the system in hopes of trading them. They're picking guys they actually want to build around.

It's a tactic that I'm not sure will work, because it depends so much on the accountability of the players, but if it does... we will essentially have an entire team of guys with specific roles / skillsets that have been indoctrinated with "the Canuck way", and are all close friends like the Burrows, Kes, Bieksa days.

I don't really feel all the doom and gloom around this team. I don't see it that way.

I personally love the look of this group and think guys like Dahlen, Boeser, Pettersson, and Demko have "it. 

There's nothing generational about them, but it's about the combination of compete level and raw skill.

Brock doesn't have the ego to be that guy, but it will be hard to ignore the ping off the crossbar following his release from the slot, especially once he starts doing it on a consistent basis. He's certainly not a selfish player, as he did appear to have fun making plays with his more skilled UND teammates (Stecher being a key one), but if this kid can find ways to just get his shot off from all angles (get it through to the net with an above average shooting percentage), he has the chance to be an ELITE scorer in the NHL. Like, 40 goals elite. His UND highlights were genuine highlights. This isn't Steve Bernier.

Elias has the highest overall ceiling, and his SHL preseason is already an indication that he is on the cusp of something great... though for him I truly do see a Niklas Backstrom type career. Brilliantly skilled, heady player who makes everyone around him better, but somehow manages to avoid the limelight. I don't really think his weight is an issue, even now. I also don't think he has true star power in him. He's just a really good player who will make really good plays more often than not.

If there's one area he could carve out a niche it's on slick breakaways and in the shootout. Could be a specialty player that way.

I still do not think he is our big ticket player, but simply a great piece for the future.
Dahlen could make some real noise if his play translates to the North American game, as he does play with a little more excitement. So hungry, and with such passion for the game. Potentially my favourite player of the bunch. Major question mark at this point having not played here and with his size, though.
Demko I've touched on many times, but it's again about character and competitiveness. He's the real deal. 

Juolevi is likely just another Edler-like stalwart for the next decade plus, and I'm perfectly content with that. I do get confidence watching him skate, and the extent of his reach is impressive. His stick takes up a lot of room and he converts to offence very suddenly. His D coverage reminds me of a thinner, less physical Jay Bouwmeester.

There's of course the very real curse known as "Canuck luck", so there's always the possibility that none/very few of these guys pan out OR that we don't follow these picks up with more true talent. I for one don't see it going that direction.

It was a crazy bold move by Brian Burke to nab the Sedins, but he had to do something drastic to shape the future or this organization would have been stuck cycling through expensive ringers (guys like Gaborik/Hossa/Jagr, etc.) on huge contracts with no real team identity, much like the New York Rangers of the day. 

Benning has a different approach. He's plugged some holes with fairly inexpensive but proven players, but really he's building a new nucleus, and I for one have seen his vision all along. This upcoming season will be ugly again, I'm sure... but I'm more excited by this prospect pool than any before it.

It's still very easy to get jealous over the young superstars even our fellow Canadian teams have though, isn't it? :blush:

Excellent read Nerg, pretty excited for the next few years. 

51 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Excellent read Nerg, pretty excited for the next few years. 

yeah. it's a pretty good time to be a Canuck fan. there's so many promising Canuck prospects in the pipeline, compared to just a few short years ago. The franchise has come a long ways since those dark years of several eras, not even just the Gillis era (in terms of drafting, and prospects in the pipeline). I'm excited about the future as well! 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

No, he's not, as it should be.

From TSN today ...quote:

One player who seemingly has one locked down is Brock Boeser, who has become an early favourite for the Calder Trophy. Boeser, 20, was the one bright spot in an otherwise abysmal end to last season when he collected four goals in his first nine NHL games after turning pro from the University of North Dakota.

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Dafuq does tsn know? What do they even cover any hockey other than the leafs? What are they airing right now? Poker? Golf? The 2024 Canadian Olympic hockey team lineup?

Nothing. They're grasping at straws to make headlines.