The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It is AB's oil, BC has the trees & hydro, Sask the potash and uranium and Quebec hydro and mining. Its not as if Ottawa doesn't get their tax take one way or the other. 

I agree that a unified approach hasn't existed for decades. We will disagree but my conclusion is that this failure will led to a break up of the country. 

we do disagree on that, as more time passes there are fewer people that really see AB separation as a viable option. Heck right now Notely has a statistical chance of winning again. 

I don't know how we can fix our federation to remove the useless barriers we put in our own way. We don't have the kind of leadership needed for that even if the idea was out there. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2021 at 10:34 AM, nuckin_futz said:

Hopefully you're still thinking it over as it just dumped another 30 points in about 8 minutes.

I suggest you employ the 3 day rule. And not touch something that has mega puked for 3 days until the dust settles and the levels reveals themselves.

I did but I averaged down and got a $505 average on 35 shares. I missed the $463 bottom but still doing well, today's a good day.

On 5/20/2021 at 6:17 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Lmao!!!!  Doge literally has zero fundamentals, zero structure, no real world application!  

Why on earth do people think this is the coin of the future

The guy doing the video is hilarious 
Edited by sassbs

So the lady and I have some money to invest with an approximate 1 year horizon. We have around 50k to deploy which will max out our TFSA and the investment will be in our TFSA investment accounts. We plan to use the money for a down payment sometime in the next 12-18 months. I have some long term plays that are more on the moderate-risky side in the short term but for the down payment  money I want it to be relatively low risk to protect the capital but still earn something off of it until we are ready.

My list is as follows with allocation percentages yet to be finalized:

ZWU (covered call utilities, MER 0.7%, Dividend 7.5%), ZWB or individual bank stocks (RBC, NA, TD), ZPAY (premium yeield ETF, US treasury bills + covered call on blue chips, MER 0.7%, Dividend 6.1%), VBAL (vanguard 60:40 equity:fixed income split) or a split between VOO (sp500)/DIA (dow) + more allocation to ZPAY, banks, ZWU. VBAL has more exposure to emerging markets, Europe and Canada (still ~50% US markets), so it's whether or not I want to bet more heavily on a USA rebound relative to rest of world.

Basically my goals are to have something relatively steady and collect dividend payments until we need the money.

Looking forward to the thoughts of others.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

On 5/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

So the lady and I have some money to invest with an approximate 1 year horizon. We have around 50k to deploy which will max out our TFSA and the investment will be in our TFSA investment accounts. We plan to use the money for a down payment sometime in the next 12-18 months. I have some long term plays that are more on the moderate-risky side in the short term but for the down payment  money I want it to be relatively low risk to protect the capital but still earn something off of it until we are ready.

ZWU (covered call utilities, MER 0.7%, Dividend 7.5%), ZWB or individual bank stocks (RBC, NA, TD), ZPAY (premium yeield ETF, US treasury bills + covered call on blue chips, MER 0.7%, Dividend 6.1%), VBAL (vanguard 60:40 equity:fixed income split) or a split between VOO (sp500)/DIA (dow) + more allocation to ZPAY, banks, ZWU. VBAL has more exposure to emerging markets, Europe and Canada (still ~50% US markets), so it's whether or not I want to bet more heavily on a USA rebound relative to rest of world.

Basically my goals are to have something relatively steady and collect dividend payments until we need the money.

I use ZWU and VBAL all the time. You might look at HHL which is a covered call ETF on health stocks. Good yield.  

On 5/20/2021 at 7:56 AM, Boudrias said:

CPP just reported that the fund was +/- $500 billion. Sounds impressive but that works out to about $13,000 per Canadian. I like to yardstick us against other countries with economies based on resources. The gold medal winner is Norway IMHO. Norway has $1.36 Trillion in their fund or $250,500 per citizen. While Norway has diversified their sovereign wealth fund the core funding came from North Sea oil. This is why I have always supported the full exploitation of oil and gas reserves in Canada. I consider it a national security priority. 

Alberta saw that dream sail away with their hatred of the NEP and Trudeau in the 80s mate

On 5/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Reits?

28 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Reddit dicks pumping AMC and GME again.. 

Reddit dicks don't move 700 million shares, Wall Street does. If those dorks want to take credit and take a victory lap let them.

AMC most likely continues squeezing until tomorrow's options expiry. There's dead bears everywhere.

Today was a lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

Beyond Meat is getting pumped beyond belief, I threw 10k into couple of days ago.

Hopefully it pays off!

Nice!  That'll be nice going into the weekend.  Might have to start watching the market more now, been pretty iffy lately with all the red days but this whole week has looked a little nicer.

On 5/28/2021 at 2:02 PM, nuckin_futz said:

AMC briefly hit a new all time high today then dumped 34%.

Gotta love this loony toonz market. :ph34r:

I got out Friday with my $82 over 2 days with my 8 shares so I am good :) Thats enough to know I can enjoy my weekend with.