The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

macann should be in the nhl

hockeygod77

Lets see him line up against guys like Kopitar, Thornton, and Getzlaf before we proclaim anything.

He looked promising against mostly AHL players, it's a whole different game against NHLers though.

At the very least I think he should get his 9 game audition if he keeps playing the way he has.

someone might be wrong.

He's definitely proving himself. I didn't get to watch him in Jr (other than his highlight package), but even over the last week he's gotten better every game. He looked good at young stars, but has looked great in preseason.

Stoked he's a Canuck. Indeed, someone might be wrong and he might only be 1 yr away.

Hope he gets his 9 and does his best to boot Vey, but I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

Lets see him line up against guys like Kopitar, Thornton, and Getzlaf before we proclaim anything.

He looked promising against mostly AHL players, it's a whole different game against NHLers though.

At the very least I think he should get his 9 game audition if he keeps playing the way he has.

The more I see this kid play, the more he reminds me of a young Sakic - except with a bite. He's quick and fast with the puck. He sees the ice great. He's super smart. And he's got a laser wrist shot.

The more I see this kid play, the more he reminds me of a young Sakic - except with a bite. He's quick and fast with the puck. He sees the ice great. He's super smart. And he's got a laser wrist shot.

You just described many many other prospects around the league, and none of them will turn out to be half of what Sakic was. In terms of comparibles, Nicklas Backstrom, but grittier is what I see.

There's a major difference between a good wrist shot and a Joe Sakic wrist shot

You just described many many other prospects around the league, and none of them will turn out to be half of what Sakic was. In terms of comparibles, Nicklas Backstrom, but grittier is what I see.

There's a major difference between a good wrist shot and a Joe Sakic wrist shot

Let's just wait and see. Plus, who are these other prospects you speak of? Backstroke is not as quick nor as fast as McCann with the puck.

Let's just wait and see. Plus, who are these other prospects you speak of? Backstroke is not as quick nor as fast as McCann with the puck.

Backstrom is a proven PPG player in the NHL and widely regarded as one of the best playmakers in the league. McCann has a long way to go if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as him.

Backstrom is a proven PPG player in the NHL and widely regarded as one of the best playmakers in the league. McCann has a long way to go if he wants to be mentioned in the same breath as him.

We were not discussing that, were we? We were comparing him to Sakic - quickness, speed, wrist shot. McCann plays more like Sakic. I thought that was what we were discussing?

This is exactly right. Let's get the pre-season in perspective. Most teams are trying out new players and line combinations etc for the first 4 games. The 2nd 4 games are more about putting a team together. This is what we're going into now. As the real season starts (for the first 9 games) there is another level and so on.

Let's see how McCann does as other players and veterans start to get more serious.

I think we need to stay patient with our prospects. The whole build on the fly model supports this and it's the lowest risk highest reward method.

I wouldn't be disappointed at all if none of our prospects made the team. I am so high on what Travis Green is doing in Utica that I think all of our players should mandatorily experience the pro level in a low pressure environment with a great coaching staff.

Horvat is an exception, but even saying that, as crazy as I'm about to sound, it wouldn't have hurt him if he played Jr last year and Utica this year.

If you are looking 5-10 years down the road we will probably have some good top 10 picks coming our way. A new post Sedin window will begin to open. The fewer ELC years we burn between all of our players during this stagnate transitional period, the more cap flexibility we will have when our new window opens.

Look at Edmonton for example, if they would have held back their picks instead of burning their ELC's on the absolute gong show rebuild, they would have had more cap space to insulate McDavid. Look at the hard miles put on Hall with absolutely nothing to show for.

Holding these guys back until they are bursting at the seams is never a bad thing.

Of course, but implication was if he wasn't any worse than Vey?

How is that an endorsement? Since Vey is waiver eligible he should get his shot this season. Imo you need to be head and shoulders better to steal a roster spot. That said, with Higgins out for the beginning of the season there's a spot to give a junior eligible player a few game look see without sending anybody to Utica.

? still feel the same way?

Yeah I do. While he may make it next year, he's not strong enough yet to last a whole NHL season. He's like 175 pounds. I'm a huge McCann fan I had him #11 overall in my 2014 mock draft. Give him 9 games but send him down to play in world juniors. Next year give him half a season in the AHL then bring him up. He looks amazing right now but it's pre season. If he makes the team this year and plays great I'll gladly admit I was wrong at how quickly he assimilated to the NHL.

Not everyone's development curve is the same. Some players can make it from junior right away. Some take a few years.

Bottom line is players from the CHL seem to be trained very well, and it seems it's easier to make the jump to the NHL than it used to.

Give him 9 games and see how he does.

Archived