The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ARI @ VAN - MON - JAN 4 - 7PM - SNP

Green Goblin

10 minutes ago, theminister said:

For all those asking, "Why not Pedan?" I'd suggest it is so they can work with him on game speed and positioning through practice to get him adjusted to NHL pace. 

It could be part of the plan to develop him properly for long term benefit over short term gain. If he's a factor in future plans there is no imperative to put the right now over the tomorrow. He was only played before because we needed a body. 

But is Bartkowski's play that much better than Pedan's at this point?

I get what you're saying about acclimating Pedan properly versus rushing him in, especially when considering his previous issues with concussions.

He hasn't looked out of place on the d corps, but maybe that has more to do with the likes of Weber and Bartkowski being thrust into roles that they're nowhere near adequate for, and crapping the bed in their own end. 

I think for the vast majority of the pro-Pedan crowd, myself included, it's his combination of size, power, and ability that are intriguing. We'd like to see more of what he can do. 

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

But is Bartkowski's play that much better than Pedan's at this point?

I get what you're saying about acclimating Pedan properly versus rushing him in, especially when considering his previous issues with concussions.

He hasn't looked out of place on the d corps, but maybe that has more to do with the likes of Weber and Bartkowski being thrust into roles that they're nowhere near adequate for, and crapping the bed in their own end. 

I think for the vast majority of the pro-Pedan crowd, myself included, it's his combination of size, power, and ability that are intriguing. We'd like to see more of what he can do. 

I don't think you can get more pro Pedan than myself but I do think it's about what's right and more beneficial to him than just the team on the ice. 

We are basically at this point now where we can't be impatient into thrusting any of the young guys into the lineup. We need to do what's better to prepare them, step by step, for the coming years. If that means taking time getting him adjusted to the NHL setting then I'd say it's the right choice. Look at it this way...if taking the ultra patient approach means we get to see more of him in coming years in a greater role then what's the big deal about waiting a few weeks?

I don't even know if that's the actual reason or if it's the best choice. All I'm saying is that there is likely a well thought out approach to the lineup decision...not the ad hoc diatribe that WD 'this or that.' Bias, blah, blah, blah  

I'd agree though that the injuries to Sbisa, Tanev and Hammer have put Weber and Bartkowski into roles they aren't able to meet. I'm not even that bothered by it though as that's how you get an opportunity to measure their ability to step up. Same with Biega, he's just handled it better. Good to know going forward. 

4 hours ago, ThaManbeast said:

If when the defence start coming back and Biega is sent down over Weber or Bartkowski, I will join "what the &^@# Willie" bandwagon. His scratching decisions are the moment are only slightly questionable. But you'd have to be blind not to see the difference in play between Biega and Weber. As for tonight, it should be a fun one.

You may have missed the last PGT -- Benning has said Biega is staying up, and Willie stated directly that when injured guys come back, Beiga is NOT coming out.  Others will come out before him.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

I suppose but each kid has the dream of making it and  I am sure even for the ahl cheque they would jump into the lineup

I'm sure you're right on both of these points. But I'm also sure that if you asked pretty well anybody playing in the AHL on a 2-way contract (typically $70,000 per year in the AHL) if they would like to be paid about $10,000 per game to watch NHL games from the press box, all you would see would be a cloud of dust as they flew off to pack their bags.

42 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

You may have missed the last PGT -- Benning has said Biega is staying up, and Willie stated directly that when injured guys come back, Beiga is NOT coming out.  Others will come out before him.

I am glad to hear that as Biega has earned a spot.  I have to wonder how JB and WD saying that makes Weber and Bartkowski feel?

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Grenier is a big guy that can pass and shoot. He'd fit in with our 3rd line. Hopefully, he stays with the nucks for good. 

How?

Who are you shipping out?  He's probably already going back tomorrow with Virtanen needing a spot.  They recalled him because Prust was expected to be out after the Kesler leg collision but he is apparently good to go.

20 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Grenier is a big guy that can pass and shoot. He'd fit in with our 3rd line. Hopefully, he stays with the nucks for good. 

He's willing to drop 'em and go too.  Id trade Hansen for Drouin before tonight's game, and play Grenier with the Twins.  I bet he'd get a Gordie hatty tonight.::D

What's gonna happen tonight: 

We go down 3-0 in the first:

1st goal, Weber knocks the puck into our own net. 

2nd goal, Weber can't clear the zone and Domi scores

3rd goal, Weber tries to pass, but since he can't do anything, the puck ends up on Duclair's stick. He scores

We still end up winning 4-3

Weber sits in the press box for the rest of his hockey career, and we get to see Pedan.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

I'm sure you're right on both of these points. But I'm also sure that if you asked pretty well anybody playing in the AHL on a 2-way contract (typically $70,000 per year in the AHL) if they would like to be paid about $10,000 per game to watch NHL games from the press box, all you would see would be a cloud of dust as they flew off to pack their bags.

What? And miss bus rides and per diems?

17 minutes ago, Heretic said:

#Canucks Hamhuis update: had wiring removed from jaw yesterday and got to eat solid food for first time since Dec 9.

No solid food in almost a month?  Guess he won't be back anytime soon.....he's probably dropped like 10-15 lbs....

The chances of him getting traded this season are very low now. 

I say resign him to a cheap and realistic contract, let him retire here. He can be a mentor for the defensive prospects that will start to get into the lineup.

Archived