The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Freidman "I wouldn't be surprised if The Canucks threw some serious money at Stamkos"

24 minutes ago, Boddy604 said:

Canucks will have in the range of 12-14 million of available cap AFTER resigning guys like Baertschi and Etem. And that's with Burrows and Miller both on the books, and they'll both be in their last year opening up another 10.5 when they're gone. Some of that will have to go to signing a backup but even still, the Canucks could easily have Stamkos AND the twins on the books cuz after Miller and Burrows are gone, every other forward is making 3 mill or less, a lot of them like Horvat, McCann, Gaunce, Shink, Virtanen, Etem, and Baertschi (depending on Baer's new deal) will all be under 2 mill. Some under 1. And most won't need a raise till after the twins are history.

It's totally doable. Move out a guy like Burrows and you'd even have enough for a ufa d man too at the same time as Stamkos. 

I also think it's doable however you have made a couple mistakes. Both Horvat and Hutton are do for raises after next year and Markstrom will be a ufa as well.

33 minutes ago, tas said:

renegotiation isn't permitted under the collective bargaining agreement. 

Well then, 50m x 5 yrs ( 14-12-10-8-6)  ... sedins re-sign for less after 1st 2 years and we start to work through those coming off entry level contracts..  Years 4 and 5 give us the opportunity to add a good UFA again.

this franchise needs to start an evolvement in its future like that of Detroit (25yrs straight of playoff appearances,. and Chicago (10yrs?).

44 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I also think it's doable however you have made a couple mistakes. Both Horvat and Hutton are do for raises after next year and Markstrom will be a ufa as well.

But even after their raises Horvat and Hutton will be under that 3 million mark still I would think. You're right though, my mistake.

2 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

But even after their raises Horvat and Hutton will be under that 3 million mark still I would think. You're right though, my mistake.

Bo's a wildcard. He could end up putting anywhere from 35-70 points next year. He seems to be teetering on the edge of a full blown break out right now. For the sake of us pulling off this rebuild sooner than later, I hope to god he's worth over 3 mill after next season haha

3 hours ago, Boddy604 said:

It can still be done. If they aren't traded this year Miller, Burrows, Higgins' etc. will come off the books next year freeing up an extra $14 million or so. 

2 hours ago, BCNeil said:

That's the catch 22 with all our young players.  The better they become, the less affordable.  

But not being able to afford everyone isn't a bad thing.  Hopefully 5 years from now Horvat and Hutton are just too expensive to sign.

Why is this a good thing, may I ask? 

If we lose Horvat and/or Hutton. I think this franchise is in deep trouble. like. really deep trouble. 

Not run it on a cap simulator, but if we took Vrbata money and signed Eriksson

And if we trade miller and burrows and take their money to sign Stamkos our forward group would look like this next season:

Sedan-Sedin-Eriksson

Shinkaruk-Stamkos-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

etem, gaunce 

Our d though .. No clue.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:28 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Bud I'm talking about Stamkos and elite level players and you bring up Moulson and Schultz. Argue for the sake of arguing much?

It would be nice to again truly have an elite player.

Bure was the absolute best we have ever had. The Sedins the next tier. Bertuzzi & Nazzy better than Linden for 1 or 3 years, depending on who we are talking about. But neither having the career impact Linden had, play off performances, leadership, draw in the market inclusive. Linden being the level below the Twins. Maybe Lou fits in there somewhere.

Stamkos has scored 60 goals, 50 goals, 40 goals in this league. He has speed, power, explosive athleticism. And he is still younger than when the Sedins ultimately became relevant. He might be a notch off Pav? Just! But he could also add to his game as the Sedins and Lidstrom did when they hit their "prime." We'll see. I believe at worst he will be a HHOF guy.

I'm not trying to go against what you are saying. It just seemed interesting to jump into the conversation as to how elite SS is?

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Why is this a good thing, may I ask? 

If we lose Horvat and/or Hutton. I think this franchise is in deep trouble. like. really deep trouble. 

He's saying hopefully they improve that much. I'd rather have an elite level Horvat and Hutton than an average player. 

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Not run it on a cap simulator, but if we took Vrbata money and signed Eriksson

And if we trade miller and burrows and take their money to sign Stamkos our forward group would look like this next season:

Sedan-Sedin-Eriksson

Shinkaruk-Stamkos-Sutter

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen

Dorsett-McCann-Virtanen

etem, gaunce 

Our d though .. No clue.

The problem with your idea is no teams are taking Miller's and Burrows contracts with out dumping bad contracts on us or if money is retained and I still think it's unlikely teams show interest in those 2.

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

The problem with your idea is no teams are taking Miller's and Burrows contracts with out dumping bad contracts on us or if money is retained and I still think it's unlikely teams show interest in those 2.

It was just hypothetical for fun, but I agree they aren't amazing contracts

Although Stamkos is a long shot to come here to begin with, it would be awesome to have a player of his caliber in Canuck colors as long as they had a plan as far as wingers around him. Shinkaruk is a name that immediately comes to mind. Maybe bring back a familiar face to Stamkos in Purcell.

Shinkaruk          Stamkos          Purcell

1 hour ago, Kraken70 said:

Although Stamkos is a long shot to come here to begin with, it would be awesome to have a player of his caliber in Canuck colors as long as they had a plan as far as wingers around him. Shinkaruk is a name that immediately comes to mind. Maybe bring back a familiar face to Stamkos in Purcell.

Shinkaruk          Stamkos          Purcell

I like it but would prefer 

Ladd Stamkos Virtanen 

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

When the Twins retire, then we are in double trouble. :ph34r:

that is why ownership should realize the best time if we do not make the playoffs is to trade at trade deadline or draft if we are to get a good return for them!If we somehow got Stammer the twins would be a second line not 1st as people put them as here!

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

that is why ownership should realize the best time if we do not make the playoffs is to trade at trade deadline or draft if we are to get a good return for them!If we somehow got Stammer the twins would be a second line not 1st as people put them as here!

Says who? Stamkos has 42 points this year. Want to guess what the Sedins have? 46 for Daniel and 41 for Henrik. Maybe if we supply the better wingers to Stamkos that would potentially give him a higher point potential, he could be on an undisputed 1st line, but at this point the Sedins would likely be a 1A to Stamkos' 1B line.

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Funny how you are referencing ownership rather than management at this time as if ownership is the one managing the team. LOL!

3 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

I like it but would prefer 

Ladd Stamkos Virtanen 

I'm looking at an inner promotion verses free agency fills. I think Shinkaruk's ready and would compliment Stamkos' skill set nicely.  I look at a guy like Purcell as the gel for that line, much like Burrows was for the Sedins. I also think Virtanen needs to go to Utica for, at least, one season to greater develop his skills. He just doesn't look that comfortable out there. Physicality is supposed to be one of his strengths but I don't see it being utilized that much. From a confidence stand point, I think it would be a great move for him. A small step back for greater strides forward.

Archived