The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Hunter Shinkaruk to Flames for Markus Granlund

53 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

If it's a straight up trade I really have a hard time seeing how this is good.

Jumping on the bandwagon: I hate this trade.

Granlund is a year and half older than Shinkaruk and is reaching the age (about to turn 23) where you would normally get a good idea of his NHL potential. So, this year he has 7 pts in 30 games. He does not contribute to the speed game or the physical game, being both slow and light. Good offensive guy at the AHL level but has not translated that skill to the NHL level (as is common for relatively small soft skill guys).

On paper he is not as good as Vey and he slots in behind Henrik, Horvat, Sutter, McCann, and Vey (and Cracknell) at the center position.

I was one of many people to question whether Benning wants to get rid of as many Gillis picks as possible. Fortunately Horvat and Hutton became Benning guys because he brought them up to the Canucks sooner than most people expected.

As far as I can see, Benning can do one thing well -- evaluate young talent. In every other area -- contract negotiations, trades of established players, UFA signings, asset management -- he looks well below the NHL average.

10 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

Based on how many people I've had to suspend and warn in this thread, the deadline is going to be a riot. 

Funny choice of wording.

riot.

riot as in a hoot. Like a ridiculous fun crazy time

or 

94 / 2011 literal riot of chaos and sadness 

either way I have gone from excited to dreadful, and I'm at a loss as a Canuck fan and feel myself not believing in their direction.

3 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Probably could have got an established depth centre for Shink from another team. 

If Granlund isnt the #2 centre on Vancouver, it was a waste.

Maybe Canucks are setting up another trade? 

Good question. Where does Granlund fit? Not going to be second line center as that's Sutter's job for a while. Not going to be third line center as that's Bo's domain. So where?  I just don't get it.

Are we to believe that Shink couldn't have been a valuable add-on piece in a bigger deal?

Just now, R3aL said:

Funny choice of wording.

riot.

riot as in a hoot. Like a ridiculous fun crazy time

or 

94 / 2011 literal riot of chaos and sadness 

either way I have gone from excited to dreadful, and I'm at a loss as a Canuck fan and feel myself not believing in their direction.

Yes.

12 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Benning on Baertschi affecting Shinkaruk: I think that's a fair comment. And we've got Anton Rodin. So it's one of those things

I was just about to post on that! Rodin had an amazing year in the SHL as their leading scorer. He still wants to come back over and play for the Canucks. I wonder if that affected it, plus maybe an additional trade for Drouin. All these wingers more skilled than Shinkaruk, so JB might have wanted to get someone who still has skill but still has enough of a two-way player can still "play up and down the lineup."

LW / RW

Drouin (maybe) / Virtanen

Baertschi / Rodin

Grandlund / Boeser

Plus Gaunce, Kenins, and any of the recent draftees.

Maybe there is a vision here that our knee jerk reactions aren't seeing yet.

5 minutes ago, Yotes said:

thats BOLD, put that in the bottom of your sign like warhippy did with his standings prediction.

I could see him being Hudlers replacement so I guess you never know...

He plays with plugs in UTICA. Putting him with skilled players that Calgary has plenty of.. he is going to light it up in Calgary. This is just a terrible trade.

28 pages now of people freaking out about Shinkaruk as if he's the next Ovie.. good grief. 

For all we know Shink may not ever break into an NHL lineup and STAY there.. I'm not saying yet whether this trade is good or bad, and neither should anyone else. 

Just because he's our first round pick and can score in the AHL means nothing when it comes to the NHL. 

Its a shame we won't get to find out how things would have gone with Hunter, but the over-reactions in this thread is a great depiction of this fanbase.. losing their minds collectively at the first sign of change. WTF to all of you, along with Benning. 

Archived