The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Hunter Shinkaruk to Flames for Markus Granlund

4 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

benning: weisbrod knows these players (+baertschi), knows their character. I relied on him

Exactly what I thought, that this is a Weisbrod move, he passed on Shink at that draft too.  Time will tell how this turns out

If it were another GM, I'd expect that a terrible deal like this would be compensated through a move that makes more sense. Although, since it's Benning, I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually satisfied.

Remember. This is the idiot that heavily pushed the move to trade away Seguin because of his "habits".

Well, "bad" Seguin is now an elite top Frikin 3 scorer in the league, the Bruins have traded away Rielly, and Eriksson has been a disappointment and is on the trading block now.

Hmm good thinking Jim!

Really hoping Shink doesn't pan out for the Flames.

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Benning has got some 'splaining to do. Honestly, if this isn't a small move leading to a larger one, this could have some ramifications.

And if this is the standard for the type of deal Benning has ready going forward, Rogers Arena will be very quiet, because it will be empty.

I'm willing to give Benning the benefit of the doubt if he believes that Granlund's game will translate better to the NHL than Shink's.  Time will tell,  It does scare me that he apparently relied on WIesbrod for advice on this trade.  Didn't he also recommend Bartkowski? Yikes!

If on the other hand, JB made this move as some lame-a$$ed effort to reach the playoffs this year, I think his credibility as a GM needs to be questioned. 

I haven't been overly happy with value in a number of Benning's deals, but I've generally been happy with the results. Not so sure I'll be happy on either point with this deal though, and I like Granlund.

Having seen Granlund a few times at the Young Stars tourney and when he was with the Heat and he was often involved with the play and working hard. It's a big step up to the NHL though, especially as a smaller center, so I'm not that certain he'll have a stronger NHL impact than Shinkaruk.

I just don't see how this is anything more than a lateral deal and one we potentially lose on. We have plenty of center depth, and while I understand Shinkaruk was also competing for a top 6 spot on the LW (maybe RW if we moved someone, but it wouldn't be his natural spot) but this still doesn't make sense from the standpoint of the return alone.

But after all the draft banter about Calgary passing on Shinkaruk as a bit of a hometown boy, they finally bring him back.

2 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Then don't &^@#ing trade him. Why is he a must trade that you have to take a loss on him.  

This.

Granlund will be on a one way contract next year. The same isn't true for Shink. At the very least you could let him marinate in the AHL, start lighting it up even more, and make him a more appetizing project player for another team. 

I'm not against trading Shink, and I'm not saying anything about the value of Granlund, I just don't understand why.

Hunter Shinkaruk - Shocked by trade, but "cool" to play in his hometown

Hunter Shinkaruk, traded Monday to Calgary, says he's shocked by the trade but is looking forward to play in his hometown. Hunter says he never doubted he was in the Canucks plan, despite a change in management

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/hunter-shinkaruk-shocked-by-trade-but-cool-to-play-in-his-hometown-1.441810

huntertrade.jpg

Wow, Benning must really not have liked Shink.  He said he couldn't get a dman for him, and Granlund was the best player they could get.  Was Shink asking for this?  I don't have any real hate for the trade, but I really don't understand why it was necessary. 

Also Weisbrod is an idiot, why are we trusting him on trades involving our best minor league prospect.  Fingers crossed on this one. 

Bye Cracknell, it was great while you were here.

Archived