The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Hunter Shinkaruk to Flames for Markus Granlund

You can understand why the majority of Canucks fans are unhappy with this deal. It's been a shi**y season and the only hopes they've been clinging to is that our prospects have been blooming.

Then Benning trades one away for immediate help now when the season has already gone.

Madness.

Just now, CanucksRulz22 said:

What a stupid decision by GM Benning. I just can't understand this trade. WHAT A HORRIBLE TRADE BY BENNING. I'm beyond furious right now. Shinkaruk was our only All-Star at AHL level. Benning says that we want to do the right way by drafting and grooming in minor and when your prospect is ready, you stupidly trade him for a no namer (2nd rounder). We've so many set-up guys but no finisher. We had Shinkaruk as the finisher, a sniper, who can score goals and Benning traded this guy. Shiunkaruk was in his only second year at pro-level and he showed what he can do. I was so looking forward to him making NHL next year. Now imagine next year every goal he's going to score goal against Canucks. While Granlund will be our next Taylor Pyatt. Just unbelieveable. I think he wasn't treated properly. Now please don't say i'm a Canucks basher here. I'm the one who wears his Cnaucks jersey in Toronto proudly and defending my team.  

I feel the same way there is no trust in this organization anymore if they can just do that ..If I were Gaunce I wouldn't kill my self down there cause Benning will spit him out for breakfast...If your planning to come to Vancouver dont ! Vey will play over you anyways... disappointing to say the least....I hope we just flounder to the play offs lose then maybe will get some professional hockey people running this team!!!

4 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

One more: Benning said they tried to get a d-man for Shinkaruk, but Granlund was the best they could get.

That's interesting. Sounds like Benning initiated this trade and was always looking to move Shinkaruk. Definitely speaks to management not being all that high in Hunter, for whatever reason. 

Fits with some some of what I've heard out of Utica regarding Shinkaruk and the holes that some say remain in his game (and might prevent him from ever truly succeeding at the next level).

But a defenseman would have made a lot more sense as a return and you have to wonder if Benning should have been more patient and waited for a team that would meet his demand for a young Dman.

Trading a younger (and further from waivers) prospect for an older, more "cooked" young player only makes sense when the acquired player is a better fit for the team, both now and in the future.

This is where I'm not quite sold on Granlund. I don't know if he brings much to the team moving forward. He might close a hole right now, with Sutter injured, but does he fit in a year or two? Not as a centre IMO, but maybe he'll work out on the wing.

I think Pronman is probably right on the value being close, possibly even a marginal win for us, but I'm still not sure about the fit.

But definitely willing to give Granlund every opportunity to prove he belongs.

I hope all the people moaning about this trade saying they are done with Benning and the team, step off the bandwagon and go find another team to watch. So many people crying who don't know a thing about whats going on.

Weisbrod has something to do with his clearly.

Ex-Flames management, he's obviously promoting something to JB. Just like they got Baertschi, he was probably in the background paving the way to make this work too. 

...kinda concerning though since he loves all the 'intangibles' stuff which is good at times but not regularly.

6 minutes ago, Kanucklehead10 said:

If it were another GM, I'd expect that a terrible deal like this would be compensated through a move that makes more sense. Although, since it's Benning, I wouldn't be surprised if he was actually satisfied.

Remember. This is the idiot that heavily pushed the move to trade away Seguin because of his "habits".

Well, "bad" Seguin is now an elite top Frikin 3 scorer in the league, the Bruins have traded away Rielly, and Eriksson has been a disappointment and is on the trading block now.

Hmm good thinking Jim!

Really hoping Shink doesn't pan out for the Flames.

Why do people keep saying Benning wanted Seguin traded. Show me video proof. All the behind the scene video of that trade discussion show nothing of Benning wanting him gone. 

1 minute ago, 6YPE said:

I hope all the people moaning about this trade saying they are done with Benning and the team, step off the bandwagon and go find another team to watch. So many people crying who don't know a thing about whats going on.

Most people, even young children can comprehend a trade. As it sits right now, without having any other information to go on, I think people have a right to be upset over this.

Granlund has put up 9 points in 12 games at the AHL level this season. Shinkaruk has 39 points in 45 games in Utica this season. Worth noting. Though, Shinkaruk is a year younger.

Don't like this deal but it's clear that Rodin is going to be given every chance to be a Canuck next season.

Still though, what a headscratcher.

3 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

The fact that Benning thinks Shinkaruk success can't translate to the NHL is worrying. The fact he traded for a player who has sucked in the NHL before even giving Shinkaruk a shot is even more worrying. 

We just might have the next Jay Feaster on our hands.

another thing that Benning has in common with Feaster, they both had Weisbrod and listened to him in regards to trades.  

Benning should be relegated to head of scouting.

He overpays free agents.  Gets fleeced in trades. Worst of all, his overall strategy of rebuilding on the fly while giving young players a winning environment has totally failed so far.  Very few if any top end prospects and a team that has a losing environment.

Who won the trade?

poll.jpg

1 minute ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Weisbrod has something to do with his clearly.

Ex-Flames management, he's obviously promoting something to JB. Just like they got Baertschi, he was probably in the background paving the way to make this work too. 

...kinda concerning though since he loves all the 'intangibles' stuff which is good at times but not regularly.

So is Weisbrod motivated by improving the Nucks or is he just seeking revenge against the Flames organization by trying to show they made the wrong player decisions?

Just now, 6YPE said:

up your s a** wipe

1 minute ago, 6YPE said:

Are you seriously gonna defend JB after he just traded away our best prospect for a 3rd line centre? So what's really going on then? I doubt you have a clue. 

Archived