The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

2 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah I thought he was another one of those not quite skilled enough for the top 6, not quite gritty or defensive enough for the bottom 6 guys that are so plentiful. He has shown more skill, grit, and defensive awareness than I was willing to give him credit for in his first (half) season here.

That's precisely the opinion I had as well.  Boy were we ever wrong.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Agreed, and he will get a contract to show that.  Now, when we have more of the young guys pushing into the top six, where does Granlund fit?  Does he end up being an overpaid bottom six guy, negatively impacting our Cap, and ability to sign guys we really need?  That's why guys like Baer and Granny are moved from coming up teams, like Calgary did with both.  I just don't want JB to sign these kinds of players to longer term and big money.  I'd rather they were traded for ... pretty much peanuts.

There will always be a market for players like Granlund. If he doesn't fit then he gets moved. Every player is faced with that possibility. The NTC has hampered some of that but I notice that Benning is getting stingier.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

There will always be a market for players like Granlund. If he doesn't fit then he gets moved. Every player is faced with that possibility. The NTC has hampered some of that but I notice that Benning is getting stingier.  

Agreed.  No more NTC's.  Even Bo didn't get one.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Bo Horvat called Markus Granlund one of the league’s most under-rated players.

“He’s one of the most underrated players on our team if not the league,” said centre Bo Horvat. “He’s good defensively and scored 19 goals with a bum wrist. He’s not the flashiest player, but he gets the job done. And he does all the little things right. “He thinks the same way (as the Sedins). Hank and Danny like to play below the goal-line and work hard and they’re patient with the puck. He fits and he likes to work the corners.”

Maybe Daniel Sedin put it best about Granlund.

“Playing with him is going to be an option all year and it’s good to know you have a guy who we worked really well with last year,” said the winger. “What I like about him is that there’s no complaining — he just comes to the rink every day and works hard.

“He’s a complete player and I hope people see that. We see it in the locker-room.”

bkuzma@postmedia.com

I am loving the respect he's getting from Bo and the Sedins. Those are certainly opinions I put stock in. I love how understated Markus is. Quiet guy, but he let's his play do the talking. Hope the Canucks lock him up with a new contract by midyear.

• Upvote 2

On 9/27/2017 at 0:04 PM, Alflives said:

Where does he fit on our team in three years, when the youth movement is in full motion? Is he an overpaid bottom six checker, or an under producing top six guy?  He sounds like a tweener, and that's why Calgary let him go for (pretty much) peanuts.  

Yeah, Granlund will be real old at that time, like 27 years of age. Likely can't chew his reindeer meat anymore at that age....  :P

Heck with fewer games lost to injury (13?),  and less time playing while injured, and maybe more time with "better" line mates and he would likely have gotten more than the 19 goals and 13 assists he did get.

As to money, if there is a big youth movement still coming in at that time then there's a good chance that they'll be on their ELC contract which is a big saving on the cap. If it does turn out that the team needs the cap space for someone else then I'm pretty confident that Benning (or  his successor) will be able to trade Granlund away for some worthwhile asset(s), like a later 1st or a promising prospect.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2017 at 0:04 PM, Alflives said:

Where does he fit on our team in three years, when the youth movement is in full motion? Is he an overpaid bottom six checker, or an under producing top six guy?  He sounds like a tweener, and that's why Calgary let him go for (pretty much) peanuts.  

Depends on where we are at. He's a Chris Higgins. Should be in the bottom six but if the team so weak he's in the top six. If our rebuild goes the way some here think it is and we are back to competing in a few years then it's possible he's helping out the bottom six or maybe moved to help get a piece of the puzzle. If we are still sucking then he can still slot in wherever until we can do better. Won't make much of a difference and better than trading youth

Edited by TimberWolf

9 hours ago, Cramarossa said:

I am loving the respect he's getting from Bo and the Sedins. Those are certainly opinions I put stock in. I love how understated Markus is. Quiet guy, but he let's his play do the talking. Hope the Canucks lock him up with a new contract by midyear.

That's the thing with him -- he's not flashy and plays a very understated game.  But just watch him the offensive zone.  He's decent in board battles and putting it to where his teammates can get it then he breaks off to be available.  He will always find the "soft spot" in the slot when he senses his teammates are about to pull out the puck.  Sedins are typically the guys who can best get it to him, which is why they worked so well together.

On 7/11/2016 at 2:35 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think Grans should be gifted a spot because of the trade. Who cares now..own your role, not sure what his is though? Playmaker? checker? set up guy? If he's still green then send him down for Green to coach.

He'd clear waivers.

Never in a million years would a 19-goal versatile player clear waivers. Especially on his cap-hit.

Edit: Just realized this was from 2016. Sorry for bringing it up!

Edited by Canuck_In_Paradise

58 minutes ago, Canuck_In_Paradise said:

Never in a million years would a 19-goal versatile player clear waivers. Especially on his cap-hit.

Edit: Just realized this was from 2016. Sorry for bringing it up!

It's ok but man he sure has grown as a player.

2015-16 Calgary Flames NHL 31 4 3 7 8 -1 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 16 2 1 3 6 -3 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Vancouver Canucks NHL 69 19 13 32 14 -19

GP       G         A         P           PM     

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's ok but man he sure has grown as a player.

2015-16 Calgary Flames NHL 31 4 3 7 8 -1 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Vancouver Canucks NHL 16 2 1 3 6 -3 -- -- -- -- --
2016-17 Vancouver Canucks NHL 69 19 13 32 14 -19

GP       G         A         P           PM     

Lol I was about to shred you too until I realized it was from over a year ago lol.

49 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Lol I was about to shred you too until I realized it was from over a year ago lol.

Haha you said you wanted 10-15 goals from him in that thread

I think I was closer when I said I was thinking 18-20 and he got 19

I said:

^^^18-20 goals would be good I just said...ie notches. Don't you think that would be a fair goal total for him? Or what are your goal expectations for him? 

ps I was also wrong about Tkatchuk I said he'd get 15 goals he only got 13 Lol

Edited by Hairy Kneel

17 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

Depends on where we are at. He's a Chris Higgins. Should be in the bottom six but if the team so weak he's in the top six. If our rebuild goes the way some here think it is and we are back to competing in a few years then it's possible he's helping out the bottom six or maybe moved to help get a piece of the puzzle. If we are still sucking then he can still slot in wherever until we can do better. Won't make much of a difference and better than trading youth

since i always like to stretch things to their most optimistic outlook, i choose a different comparable...no question he definitely could look like Chris Higgins in three years time...

or, because we're talking about how it looks like he's improving year over year...there is another guy named Granlund in this league that has continued to improve year over year

Granlund is probably my favorite player on the team right now. The guy is humble and seems to be a great person. He seems like he would be somebody who people will respect in the locker room and be one of the guys the rookies look up to.

I still see him as a good first liner great second liner. He has been on an uptrend over the past few years and I see that continuing to about 18-25 goals 30 assists playing up and down the lineup this year. He has a deadly shot and is one of the smartest players on the team. 

He reminds me a bit of burrows with his forechecking and penalty killing as well as reading plays and being positionally sound. Just a bit slower but a higher offensive ceiling. 

• Upvote 1

On 28/09/2017 at 9:21 PM, TimberWolf said:

So you think Granlund has finished developing? 

Reminds me of what a few people said about Hansen... 

I'd love to have a team so strong he would only be able to command a 3rd line position.... 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

So you think Granlund has finished developing? 

Reminds me of what a few people said about Hansen... 

I'd love to have a team so strong he would only be able to command a 3rd line position.... 

Indeed. The guy is only 24 years old and just coming off his first full NHL season...a season in which he notched 19 goals in 69 games with a mangled wrist. 

I think there are a few people on this board that will be shocked at how good he actually gets.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Indeed. The guy is only 24 years old and just coming off his first full NHL season...a season in which he notched 19 goals in 69 games with a mangled wrist. 

I think there are a few people on this board that will be shocked at how good he actually gets.

It never cease to amaze me, how hard it is for some folks to accept that our younger players are just fine.

He is great, at what he does, and at the perfect age for the next batch of youngsters breaking through. Benning did exactly that, when he started swapping picks for prospects. When Sedins retires next year (if it is next year), you need somebody to take the hard minutes, while getting the new talents blended in. 

I think some of the people on these boards have been severely blinded by the grass is always greener on the other side syndrome....

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

I will post this in the Baertschi thread also.

Granlund has really impressed me, hopefully he is similar to his brother and just took a bit longer to find his game.

My main reason for the post is should or have there been any talks about giving Granny a contract extension? Would it be wise to try and lock him up now before he has a 20-25g year and possibly costs us more?