The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

It's from February after they traded for him.  They traded for his NHL rights but I believe he's still under contract with his KHL club that's why they can't sign him until July 1. 

Ahhh Gotcha :) Cool. I think his agent said there wont be any issues with him signing with us too.

40 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

It's from February after they traded for him.  They traded for his NHL rights but I believe he's still under contract with his KHL club that's why they can't sign him until July 1. 

His contract with Jokerit is expired on April 30.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

From the clips shown here (thanks), I like the way he creates room for himself in tight places, like just inside the blue line at the boards in the offensive zone. 

Also, he always seems aware of what's going on, if not actually creating what is going on. 

He and Boeser work very well together; Stecher finds the open man with excellent passing and drives the net himself.  

He also fits into JB's plan to fill specific "age gaps" in our development pipeline and will most likely spend the year in Utica (unless of course he just excels at camp). 

Plus, no need to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a very good prospect.

(Is it just me, or is this the best off-season ever?  High draft pick, lots of young talent, camp is going to be incredibly competitive, etc.)

If we get Mathews or Laine it will be. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

His contract with Jokerit is expired on April 30.

Yup, but they'll have an agreement in place ready to be signed, sealed and delivered for July 1st when the contract year for the NHL rolls over. Maybe they announce it in May or something though depending what's left to get done.

But Stecher will have to really impress to make the NHL next year. If he does excel so much as to make it then I won't quite be "J.R. :(", but if he does it without us having improved our D at all (or what we do have is terrible in camp) then I certainly would be.

Edited by elvis15

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

I actually hope he doesn't make the team... Hear me out.

Our D core needs a LOT of work. This summer we have the capacity to get a lot done in remodeling it. If Stetcher makes the team, that most likely means we've made very little or no improvement via UFA, trades etc. That makes J.R. sad :(

That also means one less quality D in Utica to call up without waiver risk. And with our injury history, he WILL get called up. Less D depth also makes J.R. :(

We're also pretty full up on bottom pair/spare D. Which is where he probably should be playing to start if he's even ready to play at this level. Having him on the team then would likely then mean some of those 'bottom 4' guys are playing in the top 4 and lead me back to my first point again... and would hence lead to making J.R. :(

In short, Stetcher making the Canucks this year is pretty likely to make J.R. :(

That actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your reply!

The team could of easily finished last place if not for the pleasant surprise of Hutton this year, and that says a lot about the current D corps we have.

Here's hoping Stetcher is a force on Utica along with Demko next year :) 

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

In short, Stetcher making the Canucks this year is pretty likely to make J.R. :(

Actually, injuries and other player moves aside, Stecher making the team should give a much better response.  That would likely mean he has beat out some decent players, including veterans.  Not that they were that bad, but that he was that good (think Hutton).

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Yup, but they'll have an agreement in place ready to be signed, sealed and delivered for July 1st when the contract year for the NHL rolls over. Maybe they announce it in May or something though depending what's left to get done.

But Stecher will have to really impress to make the NHL next year. If he does excel so much as to make it then I won't quite be "J.R. :(", but if he does it without us having improved our D at all (or what we do have is terrible in camp) then I certainly would be.

but but!  that would be tampering!  :o

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Actually, injuries and other player moves aside, Stecher making the team should give a much better response.  That would likely mean he has beat out some decent players, including veterans.  Not that they were that bad, but that he was that good (think Hutton).

Yeah, I get what you're saying but we didn't really make any meaningful changes to our D core last summer either (largely because there wasn't much opportunity via cap space/UFA or presumably, trades). 

Hutton made our team partially because he was good enough but also because our D was really not that good other than a couple key guys. I mean yes he ended up being better than Weber, Bartowski etc but the only guy he really had to beat for a spot was a very mediocre Corrado who would have only been on the team as 8th D largely due to being a waiver risk...

It also meant we ended up with less depth for injuries.

I REALLY hope neither of those things are repeated personally. Now granted if Stetcher can still make the team AFTER fixing those issues, well then :towel:

But if he makes it because we haven't.... J.R. = :(

Edited by J.R.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I get what you're saying but we didn't really make any meaningful changes to our D core last summer either (largely because there wasn't much opportunity via cap space/UFA or presumably, trades). 

Hutton made our team partially because he was good enough but also because our D was really not that good other than a couple key guys. I mean yes he ended up being better than Weber, Bartowski etc but the only guy he really had to beat for a spot was a very mediocre Corrado who would have only been on the team as 8th D largely due to being a waiver risk...

It also meant we ended up with less depth for injuries.

I REALLY hope neither of those things are repeated personally. Now granted if Stetcher can still make the team AFTER fixing those issues, well then :towel:

But if he makes it because we haven't.... J.R. = :(

Considering development as the #1 priority for a rebuilding team I would structure the d-core as follows;

Vets: Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Hutton

Rookies: Tryamkin, Pedan, Larson, Stetcher

AHL Callups: Sautner, Fedun, Suban

This depth leaves no room for Hammer considering the term and CAP that he will likely demand. That would only change IMHO if a UFA signing led to a trade of Tanev or even Edler.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:29 AM, J.R. said:

I actually hope he doesn't make the team... Hear me out.

Our D core needs a LOT of work. This summer we have the capacity to get a lot done in remodeling it. If Stetcher makes the team, that most likely means we've made very little or no improvement via UFA, trades etc. That makes J.R. sad :(

That also means one less quality D in Utica to call up without waiver risk. And with our injury history, he WILL get called up. Less D depth also makes J.R. :(

We're also pretty full up on bottom pair/spare D. Which is where he probably should be playing to start if he's even ready to play at this level. Having him on the team then would likely then mean some of those 'bottom 4' guys are playing in the top 4 and lead me back to my first point again... and would hence lead to making J.R. :(

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Tryamkin

Sbisa-

Larsen, Biega, Pedan. Compete for the 6th spot since I believe they have to clear waivers and Larsen is either NHL or KHL bound.

Unless we trade Sbisa I don't think we have room to improve on our backend

10 hours ago, MayRayDown said:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Tryamkin

Sbisa-

Larsen, Biega, Pedan. Compete for the 6th spot since I believe they have to clear waivers and Larsen is either NHL or KHL bound.

Unless we trade Sbisa I don't think we have room to improve on our backend

Well carry 8 D.

Edler, Demers/Goligoski

Sbisa, Tanev

Hutton, Tryamkin

Pedan, Larsen

Beyond that, yes we'd need to move one of Edler or Sbisa to make larger changes. 

On April 21, 2016 at 11:52 PM, Goal:thecup said:

From the clips shown here (thanks), I like the way he creates room for himself in tight places, like just inside the blue line at the boards in the offensive zone. 

Also, he always seems aware of what's going on, if not actually creating what is going on. 

He and Boeser work very well together; Stecher finds the open man with excellent passing and drives the net himself.  

He also fits into JB's plan to fill specific "age gaps" in our development pipeline and will most likely spend the year in Utica (unless of course he just excels at camp). 

Plus, no need to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a very good prospect.

(Is it just me, or is this the best off-season ever?  High draft pick, lots of young talent, camp is going to be incredibly competitive, etc.)

Not to mention we could add at least one big name free agent. As great as training camp was last year it could be even better next season. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Not to mention we could add at least one big name free agent. As great as training camp was last year it could be even better next season. 

With Stetcher being a bit older, would he be kept out of the prospects' tournament?  Cagullia too?