The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

39 minutes ago, VancouveriteinSanDiego2 said:

Get him signed 3m * 5years?

Ehh...a bit rich IMO. If we sign him for that, we're giving up something else that's more valuable, I think. A dream for me would be $2M for a good long time (like the 5 years you suggested), but the fact is he's probably worth more than $2M on the open market, so I'm skeptical he'd do that.

Stecher slides into 112th in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.

111.  Mike Ridley C 112 26 47 73
112.  Troy Stecher D 282 10 63 73
113.  Pit Martin RW 131 27 45 72
114. Gerald Diduck D 265 17 55 72

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Stecher slides into 112th in all-time Canuck scoring with his assist tonight.

111.  Mike Ridley C 112 26 47 73
112.  Troy Stecher D 282 10 63 73
113.  Pit Martin RW 131 27 45 72
114. Gerald Diduck D 265 17 55 72

Wow I forgot about Ridley joining the Canucks.  He was a good add after so many good years in Washington.

ok enough is enough time to cut the cord  Stecher  other has the worst lock in the world for helping score on his own team but really that is like 10 helpers that he has got on his own team way to many times should look to send him packing he has no got speed rally makes good decisions and seems to always shot the puck and the guy that is defending against him and has cause more goals against then and other canucks in history

After two really solid games after the TD, he has certainly gone downhill. (Though some can be explained by just really bad luck)

With that said, if he is willing to come back at a reduced rate to play for his hometown team, he is clearly a better option for the money than Benn or Oscar. While both started out well, they have been somewhat awful since imo.

With 2-4 potential role defensemen soon to be pushing for a roster spot soon, I just don't know if there will be room to keep Stecher unless we lose the two forementioned guys, and/or perhaps don't re-sign Tanev. (Which would make our team that much worse if it happened).

I do like Stecher, but he is no more than a third pairing guy imo and needs to be paid accordingly. If he wants more, move on.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, devil_nuk said:

ok enough is enough time to cut the cord  Stecher  other has the worst lock in the world for helping score on his own team but really that is like 10 helpers that he has got on his own team way to many times should look to send him packing he has no got speed rally makes good decisions and seems to always shot the puck and the guy that is defending against him and has cause more goals against then and other canucks in history

• 1 month later...

Tony Strecher should be kept around. This is a guy they should adapt into a RhD/RW hybrid.

Promise him a lengthy career in Canuck duds if he made such a sacrifice. He would likely accept a modest AAV, with NTC.

Great commitment from this kid; he'll evolve into an important leader.

36 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tony Strecher should be kept around. This is a guy they should adapt into a RhD/RW hybrid.

Promise him a lengthy career in Canuck duds if he made such a sacrifice. He would likely accept a modest AAV, with NTC.

I don't think we have space to pay Stecher fair value, but if he is willing to take a significant discount below his market value, I would be in favour of re-signing him.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

why would you give a 6-7 D 12-13 winger an NTC?

• Like 1

I'm sorry but for me,a defense man that can't hit,clear in front of his own net,walk the blueline to get a shot on the other goalie or pass at the proper time to the proper guys is really not what the Canucks need.Defense is by far our biggest weakness and if we finally get some legit talent(more like our little rookie QUINN),we can once again rise in the ranks of bona fide contenders for the cup.

It will be astounding how great our goalies become when you have NHL caliber defense men to help them.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• 2 weeks later...

I still have no idea if Stecher is going to be a cap casualty and replaced b a cheaper guy like Rafferty... or if Stecher is going to be signed as a cheap player to fill in the top 4 if we lose Tanev.

He has value for sure, but really it is as a high end 6/7 guy who can play some top minutes in case of injury (not many 6/7 guys can do that).

Does he agree to term instead of dollars?

4 years at $2.25 kind of range?  That seems like a deal that doesn’t come back to hurt the team.  It is actually hard to find enough NHL level D to fill in rosters.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

I still have no idea if Stecher is going to be a cap casualty and replaced b a cheaper guy like Rafferty... or if Stecher is going to be signed as a cheap player to fill in the top 4 if we lose Tanev.

He has value for sure, but really it is as a high end 6/7 guy who can play some top minutes in case of injury (not many 6/7 guys can do that).

Does he agree to term instead of dollars?

4 years at $2.25 kind of range?  That seems like a deal that doesn’t come back to hurt the team.  It is actually hard to find enough NHL level D to fill in rosters.

Personally, I think Stecher would be fortunate to match his current salary ($2.325M). I think going for term would look like $1.8M or less, given that he's a 5/6 guy on our team right now.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I think Stecher would be fortunate to match his current salary ($2.325M). I think going for term would look like $1.8M or less, given that he's a 5/6 guy on our team right now.

Makes it seem more likely Stecher won't get qualified so they can offer a little bit less than his base salary.  Stecher doesn't really have much bargaining leverage.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Makes it seem more likely Stecher won't get qualified so they can offer a little bit less than his base salary.  Stecher doesn't really have much bargaining leverage.

Yeah, I don't think we qualify him, but there's a chance we at least re-sign him after he's a UFA if he's willing to go for that cheap.

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

When you talk those kind of numbers on a 3 year deal it makes sense. I don't know if Stecher could get that kind of term. The cost is low enough that he could be dealt to another team come TDL. Tanev would have the same TDL appeal but his cost would likely be higher. It will be a tough contract for Tanev to nail down. Value + term for a 

30 year old who plays a style that leads to injury. He has to compete against younger and cheaper alternatives. Does he take a discount to have one more crack at a CUP with a Canuck jersey? Even if he did I would still question it. IMO it isn't about how he plays next year it is about 3 years out. Probably wiser to invest the CAP and TOI in a younger player who will be hitting his prime. 

• Cheers 2