The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

I hope Ryan comes to Van when he hits free agency. We can have a first line of Baer Johan virtanen. When would he be eligible for free agency??

He just signed a 3 year deal and he's only an RFA at the end of that, so we'd still have to trade for or offer sheet him if we wanted to get him. He'll likely sign another deal from there that would put it at probably 4-6 years before he had a choice to come here as a UFA.

Once this current deal was signed at more than a year or two it was almost forgone that he stays in Columbus barring a trade.

I dont know why, but I havent been as high on him as everyone else (maybe because some Canucks fans used to bash him here) but I think he would be a great linemate for Virtanen. Both work well off the rush and could benefit from one another.... Sorta like Naslund and Bertuzzi.

What makes take a more realistic thoughts on Beartschi is this. I'm sure Calgary is not that dumb to only talk to a divisional rival with the thoughts of moving the kid ...is that a reasonable concept ? Surely other would have talked to them about boy wonder. A gifted player idling away in the AHL. So why did the others turn him down and Calgary offer him to a divisional rival who if he pans out can make their GM look like an idiot ? Some things just not right here

Has been the most skilled player for Utica since arriving

Just having an extended Calder cup run and giving the canuck youth added experience is worth a second round pick in its own

Another round for virtanen, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, grenier and a better look at Markstrom

I don't think they would still be competing without the Baertshi acquisition

• Upvote 2

What makes take a more realistic thoughts on Beartschi is this. I'm sure Calgary is not that dumb to only talk to a divisional rival with the thoughts of moving the kid ...is that a reasonable concept ? Surely other would have talked to them about boy wonder. A gifted player idling away in the AHL. So why did the others turn him down and Calgary offer him to a divisional rival who if he pans out can make their GM look like an idiot ? Some things just not right here

So the alternative being... Benning the career scout, lover of the draft and player development, who recollected the goals scored by every draftee he interviewed, didn't do his due diligence on this player before acquiring him?

Craig Button (who really likes Sven and thinks it's a very good move by Vancouver) went on the air early April to suggest that Burke and Hartley just didn't like him and that Calgary had to accept that he would never reach his potential under their current regime. Quote: "some coaches prefer one player over another that's going to happen and sometimes as an organization you have to recognise that and move on as well".

You can listen to it here at the 34:40 mark: https://soundcloud.com/the-moj/bob-m...hour-2#t=34:40
It's also not surprising. When someone like Burke publicly disparages his own prospect - other teams are going to listen and not want to take the risk. Here what helped Sven is that the Canucks are the team that knew him and his potential the best (Green knows him, Weisbrod was AGM, and Benning scouted him extensively). Linden even talked about bringing him in an environment where he could have fun again.
Sven was not going to re-sign with them anyway. It had also to do with playing style and what was expected from him. Hartley said that he always gave him the example of B Gallagher. Green talked about him being a skilled guy and less suited for a checking role. And although Sven denied the claims, his father probably wasn't so far off when he said that they were making him play in a straight-jacket. Since joining Utica his play is so much more like the Winterhawks Sven with a lot of confidence, puck on a string, making plays out of nowhere. Real fun and promising to watch.
  • Upvote 3

Craig Button (who really likes Sven and thinks it's a very good move by Vancouver) went on the air early April to suggest that Burke and Hartley just didn't like him and that Calgary had to accept that he would never reach his potential under their current regime. Quote: "some coaches prefer one player over another that's going to happen and sometimes as an organization you have to recognise that and move on as well".

You can listen to it here at the 34:40 mark: https://soundcloud.com/the-moj/bob-m...hour-2#t=34:40
It's also not surprising. When someone like Burke publicly disparages his own prospect - other teams are going to listen and not want to take the risk. Here what helped Sven is that the Canucks are the team that knew him and his potential the best (Green knows him, Weisbrod was AGM, and Benning scouted him extensively). Linden even talked about bringing him in an environment where he could have fun again.
Sven was not going to re-sign with them anyway. It had also to do with playing style and what was expected from him. Hartley said that he always gave him the example of B Gallagher. Green talked about him being a skilled guy and less suited for a checking role. And although Sven denied the claims, his father probably wasn't so far off when he said that they were making him play in a straight-jacket. Since joining Utica his play is so much more like the Winterhawks Sven with a lot of confidence, puck on a string, making plays out of nowhere. Real fun and promising to watch.

I will reserve judgement on Sven B until I actually see something. I can certainly see why he did not fit in with Hartley who want s a far more aggressive player who will play a in your face style. There are playoff teams and regular season teams. Flamers are built for playoffs and Van is not. Sven B might fit in Van but ask myself who he will play with and how he can compliment a team and line. The Calder Cup play to date has hardly been the Sven show.

I will reserve judgement on Sven B until I actually see something. I can certainly see why he did not fit in with Hartley who want s a far more aggressive player who will play a in your face style. There are playoff teams and regular season teams. Flamers are built for playoffs and Van is not. Sven B might fit in Van but ask myself who he will play with and how he can compliment a team and line. The Calder Cup play to date has hardly been the Sven show.

Eventually? Baer, McCann, Virtanen looks pretty darn good to me. Fast, skilled and hard as hell to play against.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

Well Bear looks like a keeper and worth the 2nd round pick, whereas Vey not so much..can't win em all I guess.I think if Bear keeps up his play he'll be rewarded on the scoresheet in the next round.

Would you trade a 2nd for a 22 year old Mason Raymond?

Would you trade a 2nd for a 22 year old Mason Raymond?

God yes. JB knows what so many GMs (and CDCers) seem to forget: most draft picks never play in the NHL. Vey is already massively overachieving the high 2nd he cost us. How quickly we seem to all forget the Jordan Schroeders of the world.

Vey is doing just fine. It's just that Baertschi looks like he'll be an absolute steal. Can't wait.

God yes. JB knows what so many GMs (and CDCers) seem to forget: most draft picks never play in the NHL. Vey is already massively overachieving the high 2nd he cost us. How quickly we seem to all forget the Jordan Schroeders of the world.

Vey is doing just fine. It's just that Baertschi looks like he'll be an absolute steal. Can't wait.

Good call Garth!

And yes Baer is exciting...

Not sure this is totally on the mark?

Johnny Hockey is not exactly a bruising fore-checker. Equally true for Hudler. These are cutting and slashing guys who create match up problems with dynamic quickness, speed and skill.

My take is that you can only have so many of them and Calgary had their fill. Markus Granlund is not big either. Backlund partakes in a physical competitive game. But has also missed large tracks of his career with injuries.

Vancouver on the other hand is just starting to refill its tanks in that respect. We had no one quite like Baer on our main club, or in our prospect ranks?

Not sure this is totally on the mark?

Johnny Hockey is not exactly a bruising fore-checker. Equally true for Hudler. These are cutting and slashing guys who create match up problems with dynamic quickness, speed and skill.

My take is that you can only have so many of them and Calgary had their fill. Markus Granlund is not big either. Backlund partakes in a physical competitive game. But has also missed large tracks of his career with injuries.

Vancouver on the other hand is just starting to refill its tanks in that respect. We had no one quite like Baer on our main club, or in our prospect ranks?

Agree with the rest of your post but...Shinkaruk.

Baer's probably going to have an edge on him for ultimate skill/ceiling though. And he's further developed. But they're of a similar ilk.