The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

Gaunce is having a solid rookie season and seems to be improving constantly, moving to wing gives him versatility.

In terms of NHL comparable, I'd say Brooks Laich.

SCOUTING REPORT
Assets: Can put up points in a scoring role, but also displays a keen ability to play well defensively. Is plenty versatile, heady and a solid, dependable teammate. Is effective in front of the net, where he uses his good size. Will always display sound leadership qualities and play through pain. Flaws: Doesn't have high-end scoring prowess at the highest level, so he tends to run a little hot and cold in terms of offensive production. Is continously improving his overall quickness, but he doesn't own game-breaking speed. Career Potential: Versatile, quality complementary forward with leadership qualities.

Gaunce, at the peak of his career, could be a 2nd line center and score 50 points, but he will likely be more of a versatile bottom 6 guy.

There's no ceiling for any young player. If you go by that logic, then all prospects drafted after the second round are pretty much useless and their "ceiling" is the AHL. Is that the case in reality? Nope.

there is no "hard" ceiling, but you can always reasonnably estimate the kind of ceiling players have.

Actually there are a lot of 2nd rounder that has a higher ceiling than 1st rounder, however they are seen as "high risk", "hit or miss", or low probability of reaching it, so players with "lower ceiling" but much more consistent, reliable and higher probability of reaching it are chosen in the 1st round.

i.e. Ho-Sang, Saad, Russian factor

I don't think anyone would have guessed at the beginning of the season that Gaunce would be our most productive prospect out of Utica. That might be partly attributed to how poorly Jensen and Shinkaruk have been point wise but producing at around 0.5ppg for a guy who barely scored over 1ppg in junior is very encouraging for a 1st year pro. His game translate so well.

from all accounts, it sounds like he's been playing really well this season, Leading Utica rookies in points, 6th in team scoring (5th in goals, 4th in assists) and i've heard nothing but good things from the utica fans about him.

Edited by avelanch

If Gaunce keeps on improving his foot speed like he did from last year to this year I really can't see how he wouldn't end up being at least a good third line winger.

He's got the size and smarts. He's a mature individual so he's got all the tools he needs to succeed. His big limiting factor was his speed and intensity, if he improves those like he has in one season he's going to be a great pro player

I'm wondering whether he'll be a winger permanently at the pros or move back to center at some point?

Sounds like JB likes him on the wing a lot

I'd say we need him more on the wing than at center with Horvat, McCann and Cassels in the system

I'm wondering whether he'll be a winger permanently at the pros or move back to center at some point?

Sounds like JB likes him on the wing a lot

I'd say we need him more on the wing than at center with Horvat, McCann and Cassels in the system

He certainly seems to want to groom him that way.

If he starts off in Utica next year it will be interesting to see him slide back to centre ice. It may delay his advancement to the NHL by another year though.

But, yeah… JB seems to be saying he likes his skill set on the wing.

Today's article on Gaunce's progression with some insight from Travis Green and Brendan Gaunce himself:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/First+round+pick+Brendan+Gaunce+winging/10836996/story.html

With 22 points in 51 games, Vancouver Canuck prospect Brendan Gaunce isn’t setting the American Hockey League on fire.

He’s playing a new position, left wing, and is on the Utica Comets’ nominal fourth line. But here’s the interesting part: Gaunce, the Canucks’ 2012 first-round pick, is out-scoring fellow first rounders Nicklas Jensen and Hunter Shinkaruk.

Jensen, the team’s first choice in 2011, has 20 points in 38 games but is minus-12. Shinkaruk, taken 23rd overall in 2013, sits at 17 points in 51 games and is minus-6. Gaunce, by contrast, is plus-4.

A 20-year-old from Markham, Ont., Gaunce has three goals, four points and 21 shots on goals in his last seven games. He had an eight-shot game Feb. 8 against Binghamton and a six-shot game Jan. 31 versus the Toronto Marlies.

“I am really happy with Brendan’s development,” Comets head coach Travis Green said Monday from Utica. “It’s funny, I hear lots of people asking me: Is he on the fourth line? You can look at the line he’s on with Carter Bancks and Mike Zalewski and say it’s our fourth line but, I would say, the last five or six games, they’ve played the most 5-on-5 minutes on our team and they’re deserving of it. Gaunce’s game, in particular, has progressed.”

A centre for most of his junior career with Belleville and Erie, Gaunce was moved to the wing to take advantage of his size – a listed 6-3 and 213 pounds – and to get him to perform more aggressively.

“I thought it was important that he learned how to play the wing and that it would give him a chance to learn how to use his body a little more effectively,” Green explained. “I thought it would really force him to get hunting on the forecheck rather than playing the controlled game that I think he did a little bit in junior, maybe force him a little bit into some physical play.”

Gaunce has had no issues with the positional change. He figures if he can play in more than one spot, he becomes more valuable to the organization. Maybe he stays on the wing forever, maybe he moves back to centre one day. Even he doesn’t know.

“I love to try to be versatile and I think that’s a big part of being a pro hockey player,” Gaunce said. “I played a little bit of wing before but not too much where I got comfortable doing it. But this year I have gotten comfortable on the wing and I still feel I can play centre at this level. I don’t think it’s out of the question that I could switch back.

“As of right now, they like me on the wing and I feel confident on the wing. It’s no different for me.”

Gaunce did concede that his start was slow.

“I think it was an adjustment at the start of the year,” he said. “Obviously it is a lot different than junior hockey. You’re living on your own and there are other little things that you don’t think will affect you. Since Christmas, I’ve been really happy with how I’ve played. I think I’m developing the way I wanted to and I think this year has been a good learning experience for myself.

“The American League is definitely a tough league to score in,” he continued. “I think there is a transition for offensive play, especially learning the different ways of getting past defenders and playing in the offensive zone. It’s come along and, lately, it’s shown a little more on the scoreboard. Getting chances has been big for me and I’ve been doing that lately.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/First+round+pick+Brendan+Gaunce+winging+Comet/10836996/story.html#ixzz3ScHEbdID

Edited by Robongo
  • Upvote 3

What would CDC prefer more..... assuming he can reach his ceiling (hate to pigeon hole the guy at age 20, but I digress)....

1. 2nd Line LW

Someone like a Brenden Morrow, around 50 points.

or

2. 3rd Line shutdown Centre

Brandon Sutter or Manny Malhotra.... chips in 30+ points.

What would CDC prefer more..... assuming he can reach his ceiling (hate to pigeon hole the guy at age 20, but I digress)....

1. 2nd Line LW

Someone like a Brenden Morrow, around 50 points.

or

2. 3rd Line shutdown Centre

Brandon Sutter or Manny Malhotra.... chips in 30+ points.

Option 4. Matthias

• 2 weeks later...