The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

25 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

I thought it was Gaunce centering the 4th and Bo on the 3rd between Baertschi and Virtanen?

yesterday WD had the lines like this

Twins- Eriksson

Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Granlund-Skille

Burrows-Horvat-Dorsett

Virtanen skated as an extra dman (yeah I know, bizarre, but mostly because Guddy took practice off)

WD is making weird combos

4 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Twins- Eriksson

Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Horvat-Dorsett

Virtanen skated as an extra dman (yeah I know, bizarre, but mostly because Guddy took practice off)

Versatility.  and a great shared wealth of special team players.

The trickle of better players into the 3-4 lines will only make all players better, and times on ice more evenly spread.

Our schedule is never a fair one.

13 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Twins- Eriksson

Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Horvat-Dorsett

If Granlund is going to be the 3rd line C anyways, I'd rather see

Sedins Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

Burrows Granlund Virtanen/Rodin

Dorsett Gaunce Hansen

I prefer Gaunce at center, plus it makes a legit 1st and 2nd line instead of a 1 and 3 third lines.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Twins- Eriksson

Gaunce-Sutter-Hansen

Burrows-Horvat-Dorsett

If Granlund is going to be the 3rd line C anyways, I'd rather see

Sedins Sutter

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

Burrows Granlund Virtanen/Rodin

Dorsett Gaunce Hansen?

I like the look of the lines here also ,perhaps WD should structure lines just for western conference ,The eastern has little more latitude to experiment with his weird line combo s he dreams up.

His in game line player juggling last minute rather than line matching causes me alot of consternantion ,I hope that the shortened bench syndrome does not reappear very often this season,If it does the team is in trouble.Right now the combo 

you mention look real good

11 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

So given the limited amount of NHL games he has played before, is Gaunce still considered a rookie?

Yes, the definition for Calder Trophy and All-Rookie team being someone who has not played 25 games in any NHL season, nor 6 or more games in any major professional league in two separate seasons.

2 hours ago, tyhee said:

Yes, the definition for Calder Trophy and All-Rookie team being someone who has not played 25 games in any NHL season, nor 6 or more games in any major professional league in two separate seasons.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

Ok, Gaunce, not to put any pressure on you, but a certain player from the Leafs scored some goals yesterday. While the Toronto Sports Network probably wouldn't give you the same amount of props as that other player, it would greatly please the fans of CDC if you can, oh, score the same or more points in your first game. Again, no pressure. Thanks in advance! ^_^

With Etem's loss Gaunce is now going to be a staple on our roster, we really don't have much competition for him apart from say Skille and Virtanen at wing. If Gaunce can get back to taking faceoffs we'll have a very valuable commodity in him.

I hope he starts on our 3rd line and gets an opportunity to score because the kid knows how to play a decent 200 foot game. Maybe having him with Horvat and a veteran would be a decent checking line to start the year.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Ok guys, hands up if you spotted that sublime "Sedin like" through the leg pass by Gaunce, against the boards, in the build up to the tying goal? He's a keeper, the guy is always so damned calm I don't think he has a pulse.

How could we miss it? Stronger game than the Flamers. Uses the body. Understated speed. Played 4C with Burrows and Dorsett can help Gaunce just as it would for Horvat.

I hoped that a 4C game would re-establish Horvat's FO% but it was no diff there as it was against Carolina. Not sure what is going on there. Very strong in rookie season and now he struggles to climb above 40%.

Gaunce has until Rodin is healthy before he faces any threat of being a scratch. He strikes me as the kind of kid who has to play a lot to adapt to the NHL. Who doesn't I guess? Impressive start in any event. 

• 1 month later...

I like what I am seeing from Gaunce.  He's not noticeable in the sense that he's not creating a lot of errors, making bad plays or anything.... something very good for a 4th liner.  

Over 50% for faceoffs and does seem to create or get an offensive chance at least once or twice per game.  

All in all, pretty good development going on with the kid.  I just hope WD will be able to trust him and groom him to be one of the "go to" guys for the PK and defensive zone starts.  While he's not a guy with an edge, I do hope to see him paste people in the boards a bit more, since he is still a big guy.  

Hopefully he'll get himself onto the scoresheet more, but that will come once he's more fully adjusted to the NHL.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I like what I am seeing from Gaunce.  He's not noticeable in the sense that he's not creating a lot of errors, making bad plays or anything.... something very good for a 4th liner.  

Over 50% for faceoffs and does seem to create or get an offensive chance at least once or twice per game.  

All in all, pretty good development going on with the kid.  I just hope WD will be able to trust him and groom him to be one of the "go to" guys for the PK and defensive zone starts.  While he's not a guy with an edge, I do hope to see him paste people in the boards a bit more, since he is still a big guy.  

Hopefully he'll get himself onto the scoresheet more, but that will come once he's more fully adjusted to the NHL.

Maybe Gaunce is part of the Kane deal?  Sbisa and Gaunce for Kane?  I think that makes the Cap about the same, doesn't it?

I feel like Gaunce is one of those guys who will slowly but surely develop into a bottom six gem. We won't really notice it until he's in his late 20s maybe, but all of a sudden, we'll realize what a great player we have.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I feel like Gaunce is on of those guys who will slowly but surely develop into a bottom six gem. We won't really notice it until he's in his late 20s maybe, but all of a sudden, we'll realize what a great player we have.

In other words, one of the Canuck prospects that was brought along properly in the minors. That, plus I'm part of the crowd that thinks that Gaunce is probably one of the easiest guys in the organization to coach. He might be one of those guys that can go up and down the lineup, like Burrows.

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

In other words, one of the Canuck prospects that was brought along properly in the minors. That, plus I'm part of the crowd that thinks that Gaunce is probably one of the easiest guys in the organization to coach. He might be one of those guys that can go up and down the lineup, like Burrows.

You know I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see him get a chance on Horvats left. I think those two could work well together. Maybe a Gaunce horvat and boeser line will be good in the future. You never know

1 minute ago, RetroCanuck said:

You know I was thinking the same thing. I'd like to see him get a chance on Horvats left. I think those two could work well together. Maybe a Gaunce horvat and boeser line will be good in the future. You never know

I think Gaunce is JB's dangling bait.