The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

And how many times have you seen him play? See how he did in skating at the junior trials? He's not slow by any reasonable measure... or are you just parroting what others have said, like so many did about Horvat's skating?

Matthias is faster than most players, including Gaunce. But that's about the only thing he's better at -- Gaunce is much more well-rounded including physically, both skill-wise as well as between the ears and in the heart. Matthias brings speed and will drive to the net on occasion but brings little else and is why he is replaceable and likely gone in the off-season.

I was at the mini-camp in Brossard Quebec when Gaunce was trying out. I watched every practice/scrimmage they had there and I can tell you he was noticeably slower than others on the ice at the time. I also watched him numerous times live when he played with Bellville and actually got to see him play a few times for Erie (not in Erie, but elsewhere in the OHL). So I think I have a sample size of real-life experience of seeing this player with his peers and I can say his size/positioning made up for an obvious lack of foot-speed on the ice. That said, I haven't seen him live for quite a while and I don't know how he's progressed since being under the guidance of the Utica coaching staff other than seeing the stats/highlights on their website.

Mathias was a more dominant/prolific scorer in jr. ironically also for Bellville and he had a career year this year with 27 points in his 7th year as a pro player. I think there may be some similarities to be drawn between Gaunce and Mathias which may be good or perhaps not depending on how you look at the two players.

Not to change gears too drastically, but Shinkaruk was also at the Brossard world jr. camp at the same time and he was fast, I mean he was as fast as ANY of the players there and we are talking about some elite prospect in Hudon, McDavid, Domi, Drouin, Lazar, ect....

• Upvote 1

I was at the mini-camp in Brossard Quebec when Gaunce was trying out. I watched every practice/scrimmage they had there and I can tell you he was noticeably slower than others on the ice at the time. I also watched him numerous times live when he played with Bellville and actually got to see him play a few times for Erie (not in Erie, but elsewhere in the OHL). So I think I have a sample size of real-life experience of seeing this player with his peers and I can say his size/positioning made up for an obvious lack of foot-speed on the ice. That said, I haven't seen him live for quite a while and I don't know how he's progressed since being under the guidance of the Utica coaching staff other than seeing the stats/highlights on their website.

Mathias was a more dominant/prolific scorer in jr. ironically also for Bellville and he had a career year this year with 27 points in his 7th year as a pro player. I think there may be some similarities to be drawn between Gaunce and Mathias which may be good or perhaps not depending on how you look at the two players.

Not to change gears too drastically, but Shinkaruk was also at the Brossard world jr. camp at the same time and he was fast, I mean he was as fast as ANY of the players there and we are talking about some elite prospect in Hudon, McDavid, Domi, Drouin, Lazar, ect....

i watched quite a few Utica streams this year and he was always noticeable to me. In my opinion, he is the real dark horse in the prospect cupboard. I think he and Bo will be the leaders of this team for a good decade.

• Upvote 2

When I first saw Gaunce play after he was drafted I pretty much blew him off at having any chance to play in the NHL as he looked so slow. You have to have some pretty amazing qualities to your game if you can't skate.

Thst being said I could not believe how much faster he looked this year in camp. I haven't really seen too many Utica games but I think Gaunce is a lot like horvat. Hes smart enough and physically talented to realize his weakness to work on it and making it a strength.

I think a lot of it has to do with how cerebral he is and how he just needs to adapt to the pace of the game. With Horvat you could see it. I'm not really sure if Horvat is that much better of a skater then last year but he just understood how much more pace he had to play at to keep up vs playing in Juniors. Gaunce plays the same type of Cerebral game thst Horvat does with just less skill. I don't think skating will be a problem for him in the future

Edited by Ihatetomatoes
  • Upvote 1

When I first saw Gaunce play after he was drafted I pretty much blew him off at having any chance to play in the NHL as he looked so slow. You have to have some pretty amazing qualities to your game if you can't skate.

Thst being said I could not believe how much faster he looked this year in camp. I haven't really seen too many Utica games but I think Gaunce is a lot like horvat. Hes smart enough and physically talented to realize his weakness to work on it and making it a strength.

I think a lot of it has to do with how cerebral he is and how he just needs to adapt to the pace of the game. With Horvat you could see it. I'm not really sure if Horvat is that much better of a skater then last year but he just understood how much more pace he had to play at to keep up vs playing in Juniors. Gaunce plays the same type of Cerebral game thst Horvat does with just less skill. I don't think skating will be a problem for him in the future

I wouldn't say Gaunce has less skill than Horvat, at all. I'd say his skating is the only thing that truly separates them.

I wouldn't say Gaunce has less skill than Horvat, at all. I'd say his skating is the only thing that truly separates them.

Would it be fair to ask, is skating not considered a skill?

Anybody know if it was a healthy scratch or was he banged up?

I don't really now where to look for that, Burke's twitter maybe?

edit. nope

It is a bit curious... Maybe one of our Utica members can help fill in the blanks?

And Gaunce looking like he'll get in tonight:

http://www.uticacomets.com/round-1-playoff-notebook/

12:17pm: Morning skates are in the book, and not much looks different. Neither team had many players skating this morning, looked like just the scratches from last night. Expect Markstrom vs. Binnington (duh!). Just guessing, but you might see a line-up change for the Comets and see a fresh Gaunce in the line-up. Other than that I don’t expect much difference for either team.