The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Didn't see much of Martin after the tilt...  Martin must feel like a piece of meat playing for them.

Happy to have EG. Hope he stays with us, our D core and goal tending is the only thing giving us a chance these days.

he laid a couple of hits on Guddy after the fight..nothing came of it...why bother in a close game.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Martin is a fourth line goon.  Guds is a top 4 D.  Martin is a waste of a roster spot in today's fast paced NHL.  Guds will be playing big minutes in the playoffs IF we ever get there...

You're right about that, Harvey.  Just seeing him in the P/Os last year, you can tell that he's a guy that steps up his game.  He's just 24, so hopefully it won't be too long before the team gets back into the SC finals.

54 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Martin is a fourth line goon.  Guds is a top 4 D.  Martin is a waste of a roster spot in today's fast paced NHL.  Guds will be playing big minutes in the playoffs IF we ever get there...

13 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

You're right about that, Harvey.  Just seeing him in the P/Os last year, you can tell that he's a guy that steps up his game.  He's just 24, so hopefully it won't be too long before the team gets back into the SC finals.

Hope to one day see EG and NT holding Stanley 10 ft high !  

How about Gudbranson last night, making some big defensive plays late in the game, answering the bell against Martin.

This is a heart and sole guy who can play the game and contribute. Almost like what Bieksa was for us but 6'5, alot younger and a much better skater.

We are all human-beings, it takes most people time to adjust to a new job or a new environment, Gudbranson is no different, but he will get it and this fanbase will be universally happy to have him IMO. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

Doesn't matter, like Miller showed in the first game against Toronto, u need to answer the bell and show solidarity when it comes to $&!# like that, its called leadership. U can't have clowns on other teams doing $&!# to your important players who maybe aren't as equip to defend themselves, I see it as leadership and a guy standing up for his teammates tbh not a negative. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1

Martin is one tough hombre. EG did well. Good tilt. 

EG is still young at 24. He'll get stronger and meaner as grows into his late 20's. I'd like to see a meaner, tougher game from him. It's only 20 games in. Hope he gets there as he gets more comfortable in the Western Conference. 

Gudbranson is slowly building a reputation for himself around the league as one of the toughest fighters in the game. I know Matt Martin or anyone else will think twice about running a Canuck when he's on the ice. He throws those rights with mean intentions and Martin got a taste of it last night when he got dropped. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Last night's game was what all the naysayers needed to see to understand how great of an acquisition Gudbranson is. He is a topnotch defenseman who brings intangibles that analytics can't measure. 

After watching that sad expose on HNIC about Florida ownership and management I think Canuck fans should be happy that Benning snagged Gudbranson. It is almost universal when any discussion takes place about what has gone on there that the Canucks stole EG. SO many experts on here are willing to right off Gudbranson after 20 something games. This happens regularly with whichever player is singled out.

IMO fans should step back and look at last years d-core and this year's edition. What changes were made and what stands out? The key point to me is that this group is standing up to the physical play much better than last year. A fast team like the Laffers can get the group running around a bit but that has been the exception rather than the rule. On the physical side the team has Edler, Gudbranson, Sbisa and Tryamkin. Htton to a lessor degree but more physical than last year. Sbisa is coming into his own and Gudbranson and Tryamkin are new. This is as dramatic a change in a d-core lineup than I have seen in the NHL for many years. IMHO Gudbranson is a anchor point for the group.

Gudbranson offers a counterpoint to the Twins philosophy of puck movement and possession. I am not being super critical of the Twins as they have demonstrated for many years the value of their approach. Gudbranson's counter of enhanced physicality will ultimately compliment the team. Benning has many times talked about getting bigger and tougher and that is what he is doing. If it takes EG a full year to show his full impact that is fine by me. To date it has been very positive.

• Upvote 3

On 12/5/2016 at 10:53 AM, Hugor Hill said:

Remember this?

Guess who came charging in to stand up for his teammates.

"The Sedins are pointing fingers now!!!! Well normally they only use those fingers to lick the peanut butter off of their bread, what are they doing pointing fingers??!??" 

LMAO :lol:

I'm starting to think he is the one bringing Hutton down. Can we get our 2nd and McCann back please? Probably could have kept all of the above and used Pedan, Tryamkin and sbisa for physicality. At the end of the day, we would most likely be in the exact some spot in the standings. What a waste of assets.  

• Upvote 2

Sbisa has been better, and Tryamkin has been solid (after he finally got up to speed) but Pedan is not yet a regular solution to replace a 23min/game defenceman. Guddy's playing a lot of minutes and doesn't get enough credit for what he does. In fact, him playing those tougher minutes frees up guys like Sbisa and Tryamkin to play a little easier minutes and not get exposed as often with giveaways or conditioning issues. It allows Stecher more opportunity for an offensive deployment, and reduces the need for us to use someone like Larsen, particularly while we have Edler and Tanev both out.

Hutton may be having trouble due to chemistry with Gudbranson, or it could be the resulting deployment, or something else, but Guddy's not dragging him down like an anchor either.

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 2

On 12/4/2016 at 3:22 PM, Trebreh said:

Gudbranson is slowly building a reputation for himself around the league as one of the toughest fighters in the game. I know Matt Martin or anyone else will think twice about running a Canuck when he's on the ice. He throws those rights with mean intentions and Martin got a taste of it last night when he got dropped. 

Uhh......didn't Gudbransson get dropped? I mean he waws right back up, but if you had to call a winner, it looked like Martin, sorry but that's the truth.

Doesn't matter though, those two could fight 10 times and it would probably be 5-5 and had any of those bombs really connected it would have been lights out for Martin or anyone else, That is legitimate deterrent

3 hours ago, terrible.dee said:

Uhh......didn't Gudbransson get dropped? I mean he waws right back up, but if you had to call a winner, it looked like Martin, sorry but that's the truth.

Doesn't matter though, those two could fight 10 times and it would probably be 5-5 and had any of those bombs really connected it would have been lights out for Martin or anyone else, That is legitimate deterrent

God you are upsetting me today. did you see Martin get dropped that fight too? did you even watch the fight? it was pretty even but I'd say gudbranson the win if I had to choose. 

8 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I'm starting to think he is the one bringing Hutton down. Can we get our 2nd and McCann back please? Probably could have kept all of the above and used Pedan, Tryamkin and sbisa for physicality. At the end of the day, we would most likely be in the exact some spot in the standings. What a waste of assets.  

Agreed.  Terrible game against NJ.  We sure paid a lot for some 'character'. Everyone giving Pratt flack for the Alberts 2.0 comparison but this is one of the rare times he might be right.