The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

For the most part, I agree with developing your youngsters slowly and easing them into the lineup. But there are always exceptions to that rule, and IMO, Ben Hutton is one of those exceptions to the rule.

I sort of see Hutton as the Canucks version of Danny DeKeyser. We all know that Detroit is known for over-developing their prospects in Grand Rapids, but DeKeyser was a 22 year old coming out of college and immediately playing 20+ minutes TOI in the NHL (on the Red Wings of all teams!!!).

Hutton's situation is almost the same as DeKeyser's story...22 years old...similar size and style (though Hutton is heavier)...both solid US College players...both having the maturity as 22 year olds to step into the NHL.

Lets face it...the Canucks aren't contending for the cup this year (no matter how good a yarn Benning, Linden and Willie try to spin). This is an opportune time to bring in Hutton, Gaunce and Virtanen and give them meaningful NHL experience and exposure to the Sedins, Burrows, Hamhuis, while the seniors still have something left in the tank.

We seem to get fixated on the risk of keeping a younger player up in the NHL, when IMO, there is also a risk of sending a younger player down and watching their development be stunted (e.g., Frank Corrado).

• Upvote 4

I would do that trade but TO would have to retain and I would add sweetener on out end- Jensen and Corrado

To VAN

Phaneuf (1.5 mill retained)

2016 2nd

To TO

Higgins

Sbisa

Vey

Corrado

Jensen

Ewww.

Phaneuf is maybe the LAST player in the NHL that we would want on our team. He's 30, overpaid, from most reports un-coachable AND signed long term.

I have no attachments to any of the players you listed, but I think Vancouver would be better served getting a bunch of low draft picks for them and hoping that one of them turns out to be a decent NHLer.

I'm of the opinion that Ben Hutton has played his way onto the team. If his performance slips midseason then you can send him down to the AHL. Honestly, for a team that feels so stagnant, Ben Hutton (along with Jared McCann and to a lesser extent Jake Virtanen) feels like a breath of fresh air. He's 22 and been playing against guys older then him (IE in there 20's) for a few years now. It's been shown that if any type of player can make the jump from the junior ranks to the NHL -- it's the guys who go through the College programs... I also think you could probably waive Frank Corrado without too much fear of him being claimed. Sure, he's a sound prospect but he also isn't anything THAT special. He's a servicable guy... a former 5th rounder... and is only 6 feet. I'm sure if he got waived now, nobody would take him, but again, it is a RISK. Either way, I'd rather see Ben Hutton in action at the start of the regular season then a guy like Luca Sbisa.

I hear the argument that it's best for Ben to go play and play a lot with Utica, but did we not go through a simmilar situation 10 years ago? (RIP)

Luc came into his first ever training camp and blew everyone's socks off. He should have made that team, the arguement was that going back to junior was the best thing for him at the time, however his development sort of stagnated ever since untill the last season.

Its a bit of an unfair comparison but one worth considering

I hear the argument that it's best for Ben to go play and play a lot with Utica, but did we not go through a simmilar situation 10 years ago? (RIP)

Luc came into his first ever training camp and blew everyone's socks off. He should have made that team, the arguement was that going back to junior was the best thing for him at the time, however his development sort of stagnated ever since untill the last season.

Its a bit of an unfair comparison but one worth considering

i agree, and the same applies to mccann, and in the past has applied to corrado, shinkaruk, and others who have been sent back for seasoning instead of being rewarded for a strong camp.

• Upvote 1

I'd like to see him get half a season in the AHL playing big minutes and then brought up after we trade hamhuis for a kings ransom

The good:

It won't be long until JB, Willie, and crew tire of Edler and Hamhuis firing pucks from the point into defenders' shins and the lack of offensive push from the D, and will get more motivated into getting a space open for him.

The bad:

The potential months of constant moaning why he hasn't been recalled. Desi will likely be leading that charge, now that Bo-Sang is gone.

Btw, anyone notice Ben is listed at the same height and weight?

i agree, and the same applies to mccann, and in the past has applied to corrado, shinkaruk, and others who have been sent back for seasoning instead of being rewarded for a strong camp.

Ditto for me too. The best players make the team, and those other guys are sent down, put on waivers, or cut loose. How must the Twins feel, when they see guys who are helping the team be successful being sent away, while lesser players stay? The guys know exactly which players deserve a spot, regardless of age.

• Upvote 1

No you couldn't IMO. Subban needs a couple years.

All 12. Maybe more.

Yep, we often have used 13 different defencemen over the course of a season due to injuries. It totally makes sense to have Hutton play in the minors and be available for call up.

If you DON'T do that, then you probably have to waive one of the other guys (Corrado, Weber, Bartkowski) to make room on the roster.... any of them could easily get claimed as a depth guy on another team or to replace one of their injured players. All that does is reduce the number of NHL capable guys available to you over the season.

I say Hutton goes down to the AHL and we see him up for some games before Christmas.

If we make some tweaking roster deals that open up a spot (even by moving out a forward or two so you can carry 8 D) before the start of the season things could change obviously.

If we make some tweaking roster deals that open up a spot (even by moving out a forward or two so you can carry 8 D) before the start of the season things could change obviously.

Even then, I wouldn't call him up to just sit in the press box. I'd rather he play big minutes in Utica.

When/if we move Hamhuis though...

Even then, I wouldn't call him up to just sit in the press box. I'd rather he play big minutes in Utica.

When/if we move Hamhuis though...

Big jump for the kid to go from Utica to replacing Hamhuis. I would rather see him up with the big team playing 2 of 3 games, practicing with the regulars and learning from Hammer before he is expected to step into a top role.

Big jump for the kid to go from Utica to replacing Hamhuis. I would rather see him up with the big team playing 2 of 3 games, practicing with the regulars and learning from Hammer before he is expected to step into a top role.

Nobody said he's replace him.

Certainly Implied...what does Hamhuis' leaving have to do with Hutton's promotion then? Why single out Hamhuis as the one to leave to make room?

Because he's an expiring UFA and on the wrong side of 30. Unless he's re-signed by ~mid season, he'll be traded for a king's ransom IMO.

At that point we'll need another NHL body and ideally with a half of a season in Utica improving his game even further, Hutton looks like an excellent candidate to be that body while adding a dynamic that our D-core is currently, vastly lacking.

Otherwise, he's an excellent injury call up.

Edited by J.R.

Waive Sbisa. Noone will touch that paperwork.

Bring him back later, if need be.

As much as I would love to see Sbisa replaced with Hutton, our D would be soft as hell. Edler shows flashes of physicality, but Sbisa is the only guy to bring it consistently

Keep Hamhuis & sign him to a home discount deal to mentor the young.

TRADE EDLER !! he shoots it in players shins , and has no PP vision.

painful to watch him paired with Tanev.

Hutton - Tanev would be great.

Edler can get us a 1st & a good prospect.

especially as he's locked up long term.

(if he waives his NTC)

• Upvote 1

Keep Hamhuis & sign him to a home discount deal to mentor the young.

TRADE EDLER !! he shoots it in players shins , and has no PP vision.

painful to watch him paired with Tanev.

Hutton - Tanev would be great.

Edler can get us a 1st & a good prospect.

especially as he's locked up long term.

(if he waives his NTC)

Absolutely no player is untradeable. It is always about the return. Unfortunately for Edler he came

to the roster when Van needed a #1 d-man in the worst way. (What has changed?) Edler had some decent

seasons putting points up and has always left that expectation with fans. His ability to play a

devastating physical game has never matured to the level I would have hoped for. He has always shown

flashes. If the Canucks can establish puck movers like Tanev, Hamhuis, Bart and hopefully Hutton the

direction for Edler would be a more balanced game. Edler could easily be the physical dman that the

Canucks need. I want a Ohlund style game from him with some of the offensive thrust reduced.

If he can make this change I doubt he gets moved. If the Canuck season does not go well on points then

everything is up for discussion come March trade deadline.