The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

52 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The pairing with Gudbranson was a train wreck for whatever reason, these last couple games though have you seeing what Hutton can be night in night out.

Sophomore year/the mental game and Guddy adapting to the west/bummed wrist left more to be desired. I think those two are going to have big years next year assuming they are resigned/not traded

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Sophomore year/the mental game and Guddy adapting to the west/bummed wrist left more to be desired. I think those two are going to have big years next year assuming they are resigned/not traded

A lot of reasons why 2nd year players struggle. I would add to your list that Hutton added 20 pounds onto his frame. IMHO it is helping him in puck battles. I am confident that by his 4th season fans will be very happy in his development. What he did in year 1 was not the norm.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, samurai said:

I have this year not liked Hutton, but agree that over the past few games he played really well.

His defense still leaves a lot to be desired, but at least he's matching his last season offensively.

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

A lot of reasons why 2nd year players struggle. I would add to your list that Hutton added 20 pounds onto his frame. IMHO it is helping him in puck battles. I am confident that by his 4th season fans will be very happy in his development. What he did in year 1 was not the norm.

Yeah, I agree. While the extra muscle certainly helps in some areas, I think it has slowed him down/reduced his agility. Takes some time to adjust, but I think he is already adjusting. He's going to be just fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite having a rough year, he averaged 20:31 mins last year, second on the team behind Alex Edler.

If they plan to scale back Edler's mins, much of it will fall on Hutton's plate.  Almost feel pairing him with a stable defensive partner like Tanev will benefit both.  Both extremely mobile, smart, and athletic.  That should be our number one pairing next year.

Hutton-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

?- Gudbranson

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Despite having a rough year, he averaged 20:31 mins last year, second on the team behind Alex Edler.

If they plan to scale back Edler's mins, much of it will fall on Hutton's plate.  Almost feel pairing him with a stable defensive partner like Tanev will benefit both.  Both extremely mobile, smart, and athletic.  That should be our number one pairing next year.

Hutton-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

?- Gudbranson

It will be Juiolevi with Gudbranson.  

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Hutton-Tanev

Edler-Stecher

?- Gudbranson

Hutton really needs to learn reliability in his end. A combined -43 over two seasons is not a shining endorsement of his defending skills and seeing as how it's a big part of his job description, I'd say it's a pretty important issue.

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Hutton really needs to learn reliability in his end. A combined -43 over two seasons is not a shining endorsement of his defending skills and seeing as how it's a big part of his job description, I'd say it's a pretty important issue.

That will happen with the team as a whole can't score and can't keep the puck out of its net

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Hutton was a 2nd year pro on, as you pointed out, a young struggling team. What is positive is that he ended his season on a bit of a comeback. As Edler slowly declines, offensively, Hutton is the best offensive LD on the team. I expect a better season from him net year. Another point is Hutton's playing weight which increased over 20 pounds last year. I saw stronger puck battles and physicality from him as a result. It bodes well for him as his game develops.   

Huttons gonna be even better this year. A Tanev/hutty pairing looks pretty good, in my opinion. 

13 hours ago, Outsiders said:

That will happen with the team as a whole can't score and can't keep the puck out of its net

Didn't mean to imply it's all on Hutton, but as it's his thread.....

I hate it when threads go completely off topic.

Edited by komodo0921

On 12/19/2016 at 10:20 AM, Tyndall2 said:

Hutton needs to develop a mean streak on the ice.  He is playing like Edler has played the last few years.............big body but no punishment to the opponents who are standing in front of the net.  Defensemen need a reputation that says,  "Come near my net and you will regret it!"  

I think you have uncovered a larger problem with this team. For any player to play meaner, they need to be able to back it up. There are far too few players on this team who can back anything up and drop the gloves when they get challenged or the going gets tough.

Without a doubt, Hutton would be minced meat if he tried to play tough against a big forward like Lucic or the like. You need a better balance of puck movers and toughness.