The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hansen MUST be traded this summer and here's why

CHYCHRUN

First of all, let me say I love Hansen, the player, and if I thought the Canucks had a shot at a Stanley Cup this upcoming season no way would I trade him. Here is the reality when it comes to Asset Management.

Hansen is coming off his best season, granted he played with the twins but analytics show us some very expressive numbers. In fact he might have the best analytics of any Canuck.  

If you want to sell high on the asset, there's no better time. He has a great contract and can fit on the cap heavy team's, which becomes enticing for those teams looking for that final piece. 

You could also go the route of offering him to an analytical team such as Arizona, Florida etc... 

The bottom line is this, if JB is going after one of the top UFA's (Lucic, Errikson, Okposo, Stamkos etc), you know they will be slotted with the Twins. 

If Hansen isn't playing with the twins he'll get shuffled down to the 3rd line and his numbers, hence value, will plummet.

You might be able to get a late 1st rounder for him NOW but wait a year and his value drops. Not only because he won't replicate similar numbers and will look to be on a downward aging spiral but he will also have one less year on a fantastic contract, which I might add, has great trade value NOW. Don't even get me started about protection in the expansion draft next summer and don't tell me we should wait for his UFA season to come to fruition... I've seen enough of that, Vrbata is 1 example.

So if you don't trade him at the draft, u ultimately risk watching him go to free agency in a couple seasons or you will have to blow 5 mil per season on a muti year contract to re-up him.... Yes, I said 5 mil cuz that's what he'll want, that's what he's worth.

JB likes size, speed and youth. Hansen has 1 of those attributes but if his speed slows some, in his contact year etc... and when this team is ready and I mean ready to make a real playoff push, are those wheels still turning at the same pace? 

This was not posted in "proposals" because I didn't propose a trade for any "one" player, it's more of a discussion on asset management on an individual player... the best asset on the team.

5 minutes ago, CHYCHRUN said:

First of all, let me say I love Hansen, the player, and if I thought the Canucks had a shot at a Stanley Cup this upcoming season no way would I trade him. Here is the reality when it comes to Asset Management.

Hansen is coming off his best season, granted he played with the twins but analytics show us some very expressive numbers. In fact he might have the best analytics of any Canuck.  

If you want to sell high on the asset, there's no better time. He has a great contract and can fit on the cap heavy team's, which becomes enticing for those teams looking for that final piece. 

You could also go the route of offering him to an analytical team such as Arizona, Florida etc... 

The bottom line is this, if JB is going after one of the top UFA's (Lucic, Errikson, Okposo, Stamkos etc), you know they will be slotted with the Twins. 

If Hansen isn't playing with the twins he'll get shuffled down to the 3rd line and his nimbers, hence value, will plummet.

You might be able to get a late 1st rounder for him NOW but wait a year and his value drops. Not only because he won't replicate similar numbers and will look to be on a downward aging spiral but he will also have one less year on a fantastic contract, which I might add, has great trade value NOW.

So if you don't trade him at the draft, u ultimately risk watching him go to free agency in a couple seasons or you will have to blow 5 mil per season on a muti year contract to re-up him.... Yes, I said 5 mil cuz that's what he'll want. 

This was not posted in "proposals" because I didn't propose a trade for any "one" player, it's more of a discussion on asset management on an individual player... the best asset on the team.

*DING* The next station is...Assumption junction! 

I think Hansen is old enough for teams to know his stats are inflated with the Sedins, the year Kesler scored 40 goals was the year to trade him.  Hansen still doesn't have a tonne of value, you might get a 2nd rounder but that's it.  I'd rather keep a guy like him

If Hanson drop to the third line because of a UFA 1rst line right wing our forwards would look deep , nothing wrong with that, but if a package was available that saw us land a big ticket guy because of cap relief that would be great. I do agree that his trade value is at its peak.

Hansen is the perfect transitional player to play alongside our younger players as they transition into the new core. Inflated stats aside, he still brings a lot to the table. He's the type of player you hold onto unless a GM is willing to pay out of their ass to land him.

Big fat NO to that.

Simple really.

Canucks a rebuilding club.

Winning clubs rebuild through the draft.

We need to move Hansen , Burrows, Miller and Edler and pick up draft picks.  Let our GM do his drafting magic.

Lets build a club that can challenge for a cup. 

We need to move Hansen , Burrows, Miller and Edler 

Wham -    traded for picks.......    and 18 mil in cap space free up to replace them with 2-3  UFA's . 

THEN  - we trade 1-2 of these UFA's at next years deadline for more picks.....

Let's build some organizational depth for our clubs long term future and a CUP> 

YES! Hansen could fetch at the very least a 2nd rounder + late pick. He's on a great contract for only two more years. If you try to move him next year his value will be lower because of contract length. We wouldn't have to protect Hansen in the expansion and he is only under contract for 2 more years. Trade him to speed up the rebuild and sign him back in 2 years.

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

YES! Hansen could fetch at the very least a 2nd rounder + late pick. He's on a great contract for only two more years. If you try to move him next year his value will be lower because of contract length. We wouldn't have to protect Hansen in the expansion and he is only under contract for 2 more years. Trade him to speed up the rebuild and sign him back in 2 years.

I hear ya loud a clear!!!

Really... a fantastic post. I never even thought about expansion.  Great, great point !!!!!!

37 minutes ago, mpt said:

I think Hansen is old enough for teams to know his stats are inflated with the Sedins, the year Kesler scored 40 goals was the year to trade him.  Hansen still doesn't have a tonne of value, you might get a 2nd rounder but that's it.  I'd rather keep a guy like him

Haha a second? I know people tend to overvalue our players but you are undervaluing Hansen a lot. 2nd + a prospect or a late first

Do we ever keep a player because he's been a loyal hard working dedicated canuck his whole career?

If players is bad get rid of him right. If a player is good get rid of him right ?

If every single time one of our good dedicated players is traded once he starts to age then what do you think that does to the Horvats of the world when they sign there contracts in there mid twenties.

I am not an advocate of trading players like hansen unless he himself wants to be traded. 

All in all I would think we would come up short

Plus I believe he is one of the leaders on this team and a guy I would want my younger players to emulate.

Keep the honey Badger until he retires. I love the guy.

34 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Snarky remarks aside, I agree with you. Theoretically, this would be the best time to get the most for him. 

33 minutes ago, Kazmanian Devil said:

Honestly don't think a late first would turn in to anything more useful than Hansen. And I doubt anyone even gives that much for him.

Even though all GMs should know that Hansen's stats were inflated by playing with the Sedins, they will still be impressed by the numbers. And he is on a good contract.

The issue is one of timing. Over the next two years Hansen can help a team that has a legitimate chance of contending for a Cup. A low first rounder probably won't even be in the NHL until his draft +3 year, assuming things go well. But that might be the right time window for the Canucks.

But there is no way Benning will make this trade. He wants to win now and has shown no interest in trades that weaken the team now in return for building for the future.

So I would bet a lot that Hansen does not get traded this summer. Possibly he could be traded at the deadline if the Canucks are out of the playoff picture and Benning comes out of denial soon enough.

(Although there is a decent chance the Canucks are still legitimately in the playoff hunt at the deadline.)

Archived