The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Pretty sure they where doing a independece day thing when they use that string theory to figure out how to put a virus on the mother ship... 

since cartman has used it in a couple episodes im pretty sure

Thats it hahaha. 

Juolevi doesn't really seem to have any glaring weaknesses in his game. In comparison to some of our recent top picks, there always seemed to be one deficiency. Hodgson had poor skating, Schroeder lacked size, Virtanen/Kassian lacked hockey sense, Horvat lacked explosive skating, and Petterson is/was under weight.

Of all of our top prospects, I'd be willing to bet that Juolevi has the highest probability of success in the NHL. Probably not a franchise calibre player, but he'll definitely key piece to a cup contender.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Thanks for sharing. Strong praise from Sami.  Anyone who calls Juolevi "lazy or not engaged" just needs to read that comment of a guy who has the desire/hunger to get better.  some peoples kids. gj olli thx for update sami and dhaliwal. Look forward to Sami's next appearance on 1040.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I never got to see much of Finland in this WJC, but I understand Juolevi had a good tournament. How did his slap shot look? Was it Sami Salo-ish like? We could sure use that big shot from the point.

Didn't really see him use it actually. Mostly during the wrister. 

11 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Rick Dhaliwal can get in touch with anyone in the world

Rick isn't afraid to do the old-school leg work to find the scoops. 

Unlike most of our local media who just want to wave their phones around the locker room for 5 minutes and then pod cast for 40.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I never got to see much of Finland in this WJC, but I understand Juolevi had a good tournament. How did his slap shot look? Was it Sami Salo-ish like? We could sure use that big shot from the point.

Got quite a few shots through to the net. His strength though is finding seams from the point for passes or deflection shots. This bodes well for the modern NHL. Slapshots are becoming a smaller part of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Got quite a few shots through to the net. His strength though is finding seams from the point for passes or deflection shots. This bodes well for the modern NHL. Slapshots are becoming a smaller part of the game.

He’s got a very good deceptive wrist shot. And the best part is watching him walk the line looking for a lane rather than pound it into the first pair of shin pads that’s closing in. And our fan base has seen way too much of that over the last half decade or so. Just look at BB6’s 21 goals so far this year. I can only think of 1 slap shot goal. And of course it was all luck according to Matt Murray

Edited by SergioMomesso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I agree, but having a good accurate slapshot is a deadly weapon. I love watching Shea Weber/Sami Salo scoring top corner goals with their booming shots. It's something that defenders have to be cautious of as it is a huge threat, but it does seem to be a fading skill since the rover player on the PP became a bigger thing.

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I agree, but having a good accurate slapshot is a deadly weapon. I love watching Shea Weber/Sami Salo scoring top corner goals with their booming shots. It's something that defenders have to be cautious of as it is a huge threat, but it does seem to be a fading skill since the rover player on the PP became a bigger thing.

For sure. The more weapons in your arsenal the better. Who can forget the Weber slapshot through the net webbing!

On 1/3/2018 at 6:25 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Sorry if you felt singled out....I just get so frustrated with people who overly criticize these kids while they are clearly still developing and MOST currently in the stable are showing excellent development.   Of course he makes mistakes and of course he will all through his career - every player does - and I don't think anyone should defend him when he does or say he is immune to bone headedness or bad games.   I just think that none of these prospects are "lazy" or they simply wouldn't be in the discussion for NHL spots.   Some get frozen into inaction from their fear of mistakes, some get confused on where to be at times but more often than not, NOT doing something is the best move on the ice and in particular for a Dman.   What impresses me the most about OJ, a player I have seen since he was 15, is that he is almost never out of position.   For a guy who rushes up the ice and joins the offense quite a bit, I can count in my head and still have some of my ten fingers left the number of times I have seen him give up an odd man rush due to a poor decision on coverage and that is in seeing him play likely a combined 50 to 80 times over the past four-five years.    

The thing I have with OJ is admittedly a bit biased I have, as above, know about him for a long while and also have people in my circle that are associated with London so have another tie-in there.   The kid oozes leadership - to the point where he took on the Finnish Federation after last year's tourney and essentially found himself without a letter on his sweater or a spot in the first pairing in spite of being their best Dman by quite a margin this tournament and has also had a great first professional season.

I am very intrigued and interested by this comment - out of curiosity, do you have a link to this comment?