The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Not sure why you think I'm annoyed. Thought we were having a reasonable discussion. I think Juolevi is a great prospect with great potential but I just disagree about him having the potential to be more valuable to the team than Boeser when he hasn't been used as a top pairing guy anywhere he's been in the last 2 years. Add to the reports from Salo that he still has major steps to make on the defensive side of the game to be an effective NHL defender.  

Also Boeser had 27 goals in 42 games in his freshman year, don't think he's the best example of a guy who's scoring more in the NHL than he did in Juniors. 

So he regressed?   Isn't that how the rhetoric goes?

If you think, for discussion sake of course, that 27 goals in 42 college games is more impressive than 20 goals in 34 NHL games our discussion does not have a mutually compatible point of reference I am afraid.

14 minutes ago, cyoung said:

They drafted him knowing fully that he would need 2-4 years. He wasn't drafted as a flashy Bobby Orr type. Who cares if players drafted after are already making it, that happens every year. He has plenty of time to develop into a great defenseman and honestly, his game has been great this year. I'm optimistic but realistic. 

I don't agree with everything Benning does but I have no problem with the Juolevi draft choice (I was calling for Sergachev but I cant complain cuz Juolevi was my #2). 

I was high on Sergachev as well.  I wasn't upset at all with the Juolevi pick as he was a far more safe selection with potentially similar offensive upside.  With the added reliability in his o zone.  Just because Sergachev is producing at the nhl now really doesn't mean a lot in the long run. Juolevi could easily be a 40-50 point guy with his his strong shutdown and game awareness.  It's way to soon for any of us to be holding judgement imo.  I agree give him time and let him develop.  A 20 yr old making the nhl as a d man is rare and it often hampers their development.  I look forward to seeing the next game's play by play clips!  It shall be exciting to watch for sure.  So calm, smooth, and poised out there.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So he regressed?   Isn't that how the rhetoric goes?

If you think, for discussion sake of course, that 27 goals in 42 college games is more impressive than 20 goals in 34 NHL games our discussion does not have a mutually compatible point of reference I am afraid.

Geez bud. I like reading your contributions on this forum but you're kinda being an ass right now and mega condisending. 

The point you were trying to make was that some guys play pro style games and will surprise when they make the NHL because they will be better players than expected when looking at their Junior careers if they didn't put up great numbers or didn't look that great because they don't excel in disorganized junior situations. Like Juolevi not being used as a top pairing defender because he plays a pro style game.  Boeser was basically breaking records for a freshman and was hyped as $&!#. He was the best player in his team.  Sure he had a less than Steller sophomore season compared to his junior season but he was an absolute top prospect with high expectations that put up Steller junior numbers. 

3 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Geez bud. I like reading your contributions on this forum but you're kinda being an ass right now and mega condisending. 

The point you were trying to make was that some guys play pro style games and will surprise when they make the NHL because they will be better players than expected when looking at their Junior careers if they didn't put up great numbers or didn't look that great because they don't excel in disorganized junior situations. Like Juolevi not being used as a top pairing defender because he plays a pro style game.  Boeser was basically breaking records for a freshman and was hyped as $&!#. He was the best player in his team.  Sure he had a less than Steller sophomore season compared to his junior season but he was an absolute top prospect with high expectations that put up Steller junior numbers. 

Revising the past (most on CDC disliked the drafting of Boeser and he wasn't even considered the best player on his college team) or inventing words (condisending?) doesn't change anything about Juolevi.   Again, you are not impressed with him as potential elite NHL Dman - others are albeit a minority it seems.   Again, you win either way so be happy!  :)

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure why some are still down on Juolevi. Because he was taken at #5? Hind site is convenient. Every draft, there are players taken later that exceed expectations (Boeser), and then there are some that take longer to develop (Juolevi, Virtanen) or are just plain busts (Hodgson).

Juolevi is a Top 4 D on Finland's junior team and will turn into a very good, solid defenseman for the Canucks. I see him as a Chris Tanev type player, but more composed with better hockey smarts. You never know, Canucks luck, if we drafted Sergachev, he'd probably bolt back to Russia because they wouldn't put him in the lineup right away. We need to be patient with Juolevi and Virtanen. They're both good players that are continually improving.    

Well said.

Juolevi is on an historic pace for U20 defenseman at the Finnish league along with Heiskanen. I am confident that he will be a solid top 4 NHL D-man, playing a calm and cool game that can be count on all situations. As for his offensive number, it will depend on the role he plays, the team the Canucks build for in the future and the style of play of the entire team. Basically, he is a guy that could adjust to different kind of plays. If the Canucks are lucky and win the draft lottery and draft a Dahlin in next year's draft, Dahlin would be lean heavily towards playing and generating offence from the backend while Olli can be the guy calming and slowing the play down at a different pairing. In this case Olli's offensive stats will likely be around 25-35 points, getting mainly 2nd assists from making the first pass. If the Canucks don't draft another D-man with higher offensive potential, I see Benning either keep Tanev or find another elite level shut-down RHD to pair up with Olli and Olli will be counted generate offense. If that's the case, he could easily get 40-50 points or even 50+ if the Canucks forward group made up of Boeser, Pettersson etc. are as dangerous as they could be. Basically, I see him as a player that can do whatever the team asks him to do and it will be an valuable asset and building block to his team in the future.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Your Canucks even have a current rookie who is scoring more at NHL level than he seemingly did at any other level along the way.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He is "one of those" players that those who could look for it could see a player that would do better at a pro level than otherwise.   Some see that in Juolevi.  

The same one that quite a number here said needed development in Utica.  And that his skating wasn't NHL-calibre, that his game had flaws that needed working on in the minors.  We're talking about the 5th leading goal scorer in the entire league, no less the one that is praised by his coach for his work away from the puck.

The cookie-cutter for development is not always applicable.  It wasn't for Boeser, and may not be for Juolevi either.  Likewise doubtful for Gaudette, as we will find out soon.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Where not drafting on who makes a bigger impact sooner. Player was drafted based on NHL potential.

Exactly.

I didnt think we did we took the guy with highest potential and still don’t. Hopefully in another 2/3 he proves me wrong but I’m not holding my breath on this one.

Time will tell.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

While this is great and all I think we all need to be a little more realistic and simply listen to the 2-3 people on here that know better than most.  OJ is just totally underwhelming and was a bad pick at 5 obviously

I mean...obviously right?

The world juniors is the end all be all indicator of future success.  Hodgson, Schroeder and more.

Keep banging the drum WarHippy.  

The stat watchers will never hear it but many of us appreciate a good dose of sarcasm. 

• Upvote 1

Juolevi needs to round out his game both defensively and offensively.  He also needs to be more physical. I think he is most skilled in making good long passes, skating the puck out of the zone, making smart passes and good low shots on net. also being the guy who hangs back protecting the D zone while a more offensive partner runs the play. At times he reminds me of Edler I think he will have a solid 10-15yr NHL career. He will not be our star player, more of a reliable role player. 

• Upvote 2

Wonder if management can pull the trigger on some trades at the deadline! If they can get an extra 1rst rounder that would be awesome! I’m a fan of Merkley and he’s slipping in the rankings which I can only assume is due to his defensive play. My mock draft which is a site I like for mock drafts has Merkley going 18th right now. When you watch his highlights he’s just so deceptive on his cross ice passes on the PP. He pinches up holds onto the puck until the very last second and then sneaks a pass cross ice over to a guy with a wide open net. Just feel like it’s easy translatable points in higher level hockey. I guess it all depends on whether he can play defence at a higher level of hockey.

A top 5 in the 1st and 2nd rounds plus another first rounder in the 20 to 30 spot would be really great for our future. 

Say a 5, 25 and 36 in 2018. Helluva nice thought.

Not impossible if mngmt moves guddy or vanek or..

Edited by fanfor42
  • Upvote 2