The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I guess I am still hanging on to that moment the pick was announced and I sat there literally dumbfounded, gaping at my tv screen choked. Talk about feeling disillusioned then trying to be hopeful at first,  now just been meh every year so far. but w.e.

not hating on OJ just not ever seeing his game yet, ever.

...still hopeful.. 

I don't always agree with you but I was exactly the same. I was desperate for MT (push back and physicality wrapped in nasty) having just edged away from Serachev but I didn't even consider Juolevi.

That said I am one of those who say he is ours now and we need to give him all the time he needs. He is certainly not a bust in my book.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Tkachuk may have been considered a better player, but at the time, he was by far the best d-man available. 
Leading up to the draft that guy was a winner: the memorial cup, and the World Juniors and he was the main defenseman for both. 
At the time, he was the right choice. Sometimes things don't pan out. 

Except Juolevi can very much pan out still.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I guess I am still hanging on to that moment the pick was announced and I sat there literally dumbfounded, gaping at my tv screen choked. Talk about feeling disillusioned then trying to be hopeful at first,  now just been meh every year so far. but w.e.

not hating on OJ just not ever seeing his game yet, ever.

...still hopeful.. 

Sounds like you're projecting your disappointment with the pick on to the player. 

1200px-Sigmund_Freud,_by_Max_Halberstadt

4 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

He’s had back surgery in the offseason 

last year when they played Rodin back to back games in preseason he re injured his knee and everyone lost it. 

Now canucks are doing the smart thing and people lose it 

no matter what someone will complain 

I have a feeling that's what's going on too. They played him in a game with the lowest quality of competition, which seems like a bit of a safety net as far as avoiding future injuries. He traveled with the team, probably got to practice and skate with them for extra work to get that conditioning back up. 

2 hours ago, BananaMash said:

I have a feeling that's what's going on too. They played him in a game with the lowest quality of competition, which seems like a bit of a safety net as far as avoiding future injuries. He traveled with the team, probably got to practice and skate with them for extra work to get that conditioning back up. 

Conditioning would/should not be a factor, he has been able to do heavy work outs for over 2 months and this procedure had been described as 100% successful.

It is sad and I feel for the kid it wasn't his fault he was drafted #5 with all the expectations that go with being drafted that high. He just peaked in junior.

He was only the 13th ranked dman in the OHL and lower in overall major junior his draft year and even though ranked fairly high in his draft class he was not ranked as high as drafted except on central scouting as a Euro.

His second year of junior after the draft, he was only ranked at #21 in the OHL

Edited by TheGuardian_
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I'm not ready to call bust.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Juolevi.

He had surgery, hes young. Hasn't even had a chance to play in the AHL.

Lots of time for the kid.

I agree with you but keep in mind that is what people said about Pouliot in Pittsburgh... but time runs out eventually. Some picks just never quite make the jump to the NHL as everyone thought, others from later rounds surprise everyone with their growth and NHL careers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Conditioning would/should not be a factor, he has been able to do heavy work outs for over 2 months and this procedure had been described as 100% successful.

It is sad and I feel for the kid it wasn't his fault he was drafted #5 with all the expectations that go with being drafted that high. He just peaked in junior.

He was only the 13th ranked dman in the OHL and lower in overall major junior his draft year and even though ranked fairly high in his draft class he was not ranked as high as drafted except on central scouting as a Euro.

His second year of junior after the draft, he was only ranked at #21 in the OHL

Except that it is, and no, he didn't have two months to work out. The surgery sidelined him for a good chunk of the summer.

• Upvote 2

The positives: he had a solid season in Finland, with some ups and downs.  Was a healthy scratch a few times mid-season but ended up on the first pairing during the playoffs.  Looked solid at the WJC, but was second pairing.  Perhaps Finnish politics played a role in this, or not.

Here's the reality, though.  He was picked 5th overall, and because of that, expectations will always be high.  Management was counting on him to be power play quarterback of the future for the team.  That is something, almost no one believes anymore.  His ceiling looks to be a top 4 defence man, which is fabulous considering the state of our current corp, but even that's no lock.  

So yes, people rag on him, but that's also what happens when you get picked in the top five and don't pan out for what your projection is.  Is this fair?  Not really, Olli seems like a really good kid, and as is often mentioned, he wasn't the one making the draft selection.  But it is life as a professional athlete.  

Top 4 projection is still in the cards.  This is a massive season for him.  I would think he'll get a ton of ice time in Utica, although, due to his surgery, he will probably start slow.  However, by the end of the season, I think we'll have a much better idea as to what kind of player Olli Juolevi will be for this franchise.

18 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I dont think his stock should drop even lower while not even playing tonight... The last few pages make it seem kike he cost us the game tonight. 

Considering how he showed in his first pro season, young stars and training course/preseason, I'd say his stock is in pretty good shape

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I feel like I'm missing something. I haven't followed this preseason as close as I normally do. 

Is OJ still with the big club right now?

He is but he's only played one game.  He was supposed to play last game but was replaced at the last minute by Sautner. Could just be an injury issue but the team is playing pretty coy.  When he's been on the ice he's looked like our most solid d prospect by far so not too worried.

40 minutes ago, stawns said:

Considering how he showed in his first pro season, young stars and training course/preseason, I'd say his stock is in pretty good shape

Yeah thats what i think  too. But theres been a lot of comments this week about his lack of progression, his draft spot in comparison to his draft year, etc. The only disconnect is his lack of playing time. I would have thought they would play him a lot this preseason but they arent. He's not an all star vet and isn't a lock for the main roster so I'm not sure ehats happening behind the scenes. We've seen Hutton, Pouliot, MDZ, Saunter, Biega a lot more which is strange. I would have thought they'd have Juolevi battling those guys for a spot instead of gifting it to him.