The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

30 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Fingers crossed this injury luck comes to an end soon. He's losing some valuable development time.

No question.   Big guy has not had optimal luck.   Fingers crossed it is behind him for a while.   Good thing is none of the injury stuff has been "developmental" or "transitional" in that they were hockey injuries and not from some body issue like some players get from growth spurts at that age or, for example, loose shoulder or hip joints etc.    Kid should be back on the ice in early June from what I last heard so he has plenty of time to get his edges up to snuff prior to training camp unless someone has more recent updates and can share.

On 5/24/2019 at 2:39 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

LOL....I thought that too after you mentioned it.   My point was simply, I am about as far removed from being a "homer" both geographically and in the fact Canucks are not even my fav NHL team (third in fact).    My observations are more based upon the prospect this kid is and the game he has.    Cheers....and I will work on the high pitched whiny thing!   :lol:

Berlin by any chance ? 

On 4/13/2019 at 1:51 PM, stawns said:

Not denying his abilities in any way, shape or form.  He's a fantastic player.  He's just not the kind of player I want on the team I cheer for.  

yet we cheered for the likes of burrows kesler lapierre etc etc when they were on our team

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Absolutely. Would work for Jake, too. A kid his size and age with his tools, hits, takeaways and goals this season would have all of CDC salivating.

but, but, but........6th overall = guaranteed superstar

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OJ should change his last name. If CDC heard Jim got us a new 6'3" 200 lb dman with his resume it would burn up the place 

Particularly one that achieved what he achieved in his first year of pro hockey in Finland where as a teenager he was a standout by the end of the year.    

Great point Jimmy!

1 hour ago, stawns said:

but, but, but........6th overall = guaranteed superstar

Yes, that's part of what most of CDC would be salivating over. Except for the few dedicated haters who would be yammering about other teams' "cast offs" and moaning about the superstar we would have drafted with the 7th round pick we paid to acquire him.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2019 at 12:26 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, every TSN/Sportsnet and other Canadian stuff you seem to think is "credible" had OJ as an elite prospect when it was appropriate given his draft year and +1.   Enjoy your day too.    :)

So pleased for OJ's sake that the actual game has more patience and understanding of "elite" and will give him the time to prove it.  

With so many injuries so early into his career, hopefully he does not turn out to be another injury prone Vancouver Canuck. Players that can only play half a season are not too useful.

Luckily he is still very young and hopefully has moved on from injuries. It was interesting the article says OJ grew another inch and put on 20 lbs since being drafted. Good to hear. Hopefully over the next couple years he can put on another 10-15 lbs. On a 6'3" frame that is doable. 

However, as we have discussed in another thread here, I would like any player that players tougher than their size and isn't made of glass.

Edit: it is an uphill battle for OJ to ever show JB made the right choice...or at least show fans JB did (many fans will always believe JB blew it by not taking Tkachuk). OJ would have to perform better than PWF Tkachuk who has already established himself somewhat and D man Serg who is also off to a very strong start...and out perform them long term. I like OJ but I don't know if he will be able to do that.

We shall see.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

With so many injuries so early into his career, hopefully he does not turn out to be another injury prone Vancouver Canuck. Players that can only play half a season are not too useful.

Luckily he is still very young and hopefully has moved on from injuries. It was interesting the article says OJ grew another inch and put on 20 lbs since being drafted. Good to hear. Hopefully over the next couple years he can put on another 10-15 lbs. On a 6'3" frame that is doable. 

However, as we have discussed in another thread here, I would like any player that players tougher than their size and isn't made of glass.

Edit: it is an uphill battle for OJ to ever show JB made the right choice...or at least show fans JB did (many fans will always believe JB blew it by not taking Tkachuk). OJ would have to perform better than PWF Tkachuk who has already established himself somewhat and D man Serg who is also off to a very strong start...and out perform them long term. I like OJ but I don't know if he will be able to do that.

We shall see.

Unlike your joke of a proposal, this is actually a well thought out post.

Fair to say his injuries should be a concern. Yet despite all this, Juolevi, if healthy, is projected to be a good defenceman. You're right that he'll be forever compared to the Tkachuk/Serg draft. But that doesn't mean he won't do good things this season. He had 13 points in 18 AHL games for his first year, prior to getting injuries. Those are very solid numbers.

Above all, Salo has said that Juolevi has improved in areas that he needed to be (paraphrasing), but insisted that Juolevi still would need a SOLID summer packed full of offseason workouts in order to be competitive in the NHL.

I believe he'll come around. If you look at his accomplishments, he is a WINNER at every level. He's a memorial cup winner; he's an OHL cup winner; and he's won GOLD for Finland. Those are phenomenal credentials.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We shall see.

I don't think Benning needs to demonstrate anything of the sort.   Every pick doesn't need to be a compare like you say above - it is about a collective build of a team.   It is nonsense to label a team "injury prone" and that somehow a kid picks it up as some sort of disease.   Hockey is a sport where you get injury runs like that.   It happens.   Runs in cycles and evens out over long-term.

What I like about posts like yours is the level of expectation for this particular kid has been so tempered with some that you are likely going to be blown away with the final result.   :)