The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 08/09/2016 at 6:36 AM, MJDDawg said:

Thinking back to the World Juniors,  Laine and Puljujarvi got all the attention. And rightly so.

But if you were to watch it again,  and I've watched it two or three times, you'd see that almost without exception, it was Juolevi that stripped someone of the puck or got quickly past the forecheckers to start the play up the ice and make that perfect first pass to Laine or Puljujarvi, usually hitting them in stride.

Yes he scored,  but it's that uncanny almost Letang like ability to come up with the puck in his own end then move it out quickly that I noticed most. 

Can't wait to see him in camp.

I felt laine and Juolevi were the two best players in the tournament at the time.

I think there's a good chance we may have passed on the next Corey Perry in Tkachuk.

D-men in the mould of a Letang or Keith are so valuable to winning a Stanley Cup though. If we're going with the philosophy of building from the net out, Juolevi is a great place to start.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think there's a good chance we may have passed on the next Corey Perry in Tkachuk.

D-men in the mould of a Letang or Keith are so valuable to winning a Stanley Cup though. If we're going with the philosophy of building from the net out, Juolevi is a great place to start.

There's also the chance we passed on the next Keith Tkachuk in Tkachuk.

If I had to choose between Keith Tkachuk and Kris Letang.....that's a tough one...but a d-man that puts up almost a point-per-game in today's nhl...I guess you gotta go with Letang

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nzan said:

There's also the chance we passed on the next Keith Tkachuk in Tkachuk.

If I had to choose between Keith Tkachuk and Kris Letang.....that's a tough one...but a d-man that puts up almost a point-per-game in today's nhl...I guess you gotta go with Letang

I dunno if Matthew is like Keith, but he's still damn good. 

Juolevi posseses many of the qualities that OEL and Letang do, however. He'll be a top pairing dman in the NHL.

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

There was no Joulevi equivalent in the org and there HAD to be one at some point. Tkachuk looks very good and if he has a strong start the howling on here will be brutal. I expect another high pick this year and Benning can get his big C then.

Another good point, we've already picked potentially similar players in Virtanen and Boeser in the last couple of drafts...Etem could turn out to be a similar player at some point too

On 9/8/2016 at 9:36 AM, MJDDawg said:

Thinking back to the World Juniors,  Laine and Puljujarvi got all the attention. And rightly so.

But if you were to watch it again,  and I've watched it two or three times, you'd see that almost without exception, it was Juolevi that stripped someone of the puck or got quickly past the forecheckers to start the play up the ice and make that perfect first pass to Laine or Puljujarvi, usually hitting them in stride.

Yes he scored,  but it's that uncanny almost Letang like ability to come up with the puck in his own end then move it out quickly that I noticed most. 

Can't wait to see him in camp.

Forwards don't score at a high rate without dmen who are good at moving the puck and transitioning from offense to defense and particularly QB'ing the pp - just a fact of hockey

Look at the twins numbers with Ehrhoff vs without

Juolevi will be a stud, and too many here are 'assuming' he can't be a pure #1. Same thing was said about Erik Karlsson who was drafted 15th overall. I am betting every team in the league who drafted prior (including us grabbing Cody Godson), other than Tampa (Stamkos), St Louis (Peiterangelo), and LA (Doughty) would want a re draft and would take him.

Draft position means nothing once you're in the league, talent, dedication, development determine outcomes now. Subban, Weber, Keith, on and on, but so many look at the Hockey News Draft guide and think 'well that's all a player is'.

I am not saying he's Karlson, but who's to say this kid isn't better? Maybe he's the next Lidstrom. None of us know, only time will tell, but anyone can see, he has talent and a nice chip on his shoulder (which is great, means he's driven).

Agree very much with your post!

Edited by Nuckles80

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

There was no Joulevi equivalent in the org and there HAD to be one at some point. Tkachuk looks very good and if he has a strong start the howling on here will be brutal. I expect another high pick this year and Benning can get his big C then.

I don't think so (on the howling part). It's highly likely that Tkachuk goes back to junior because of his skating, there's a better chance Oly sticks here because of his skating, and I think most fans have come to realize that we (as you said) really needed his skillset in our organization, we plugged a big hole by the looks of it. From what I've read here post draft day, most seem to really  like the pick now and agree with JB's choice (at least from my read here).

Moroever, the odds of Juolevi succeeding in this league are much better than Tkachuk in my view. Not to say the latter can't or won't be successful but skating has become such a HUGE part of the game now. Weak skaters just don't last. Skating can be improved but when you can find a kid who is as fluid as Juolevi and have a need at that position vs a Tkachuk where you are deeper in his position and his skating is suspect, it was just a no brainer in my view. That skill (skating) ensures Juolevi (with the right development) should at worst turn into an NHL player, Tkachuk's skating could completely prevent him from being effective and sticking in the NHL...

Much less risk with Juolevi and higher upside - no brainer for benning.

Edited by Nuckles80

1 hour ago, nzan said:

Another good point, we've already picked potentially similar players in Virtanen and Boeser in the last couple of drafts...Etem could turn out to be a similar player at some point too

This^^^^

Its not Juolevi vs Tkachuk. It's Virtannen and Boeser vs Tkachuk. We have two players who will serve similar roles on our club.  We had no player anywhere near Juolevi in the organization. Not since Edler was a prospect. 

EW

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, nzan said:

I wouldn't say Virtanen and Boeser are similar at all. They both have great shots but that's about it. Plus Boeser thinks the game way higher than Jake, this is why Brock has 1rst line potential while Jake will more likely be suited for a middle 6 role. 

Boeser= Sharp

Virtanen= Lucic 

This is the way I see it. 

Juolevi was was the right pick regardless of who we already have. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

I wouldn't say Virtanen and Boeser are similar at all. They both have great shots but that's about it. Plus Boeser thinks the game way higher than Jake, this is why Brock has 1rst line potential while Jake will more likely be suited for a middle 6 role. 

Boeser= Sharp

Virtanen= Lucic 

Boeser is a solid guy with great hands, Virtannen is the physical force who can skate like the wind. 

Sure they are different, but with these two prospects, the need for Tkachuk just isn't there when compared to the need of a top defence man. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Boeser= Sharp

Virtanen= Lucic 

I wasn't saying that Virtanen and Boeser are similar to each other, but that they both have games with similarities to Tkachuk's game. And, no, their games are not all carbon copies of each others.

From a broader point of view though, if we had picked Tkachuk we would have started to become prospect-deep in that category of big-ish, good-ish wingers.

On the other hand, we addressed a different glaring hole.

I agree Juolevi was the right pick, but regardless of who we have? In the reality of who we actually have, I agree.

But if we had no legitimate forward prospects and had our current d-core with two legitimate d prospects also on their way...in that case I'd probably have rather added a forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nzan said:

I wasn't saying that Virtanen and Boeser are similar to each other, but that they both have games with similarities to Tkachuk's game. And, no, their games are not all carbon copies of each others.

From a broader point of view though, if we had picked Tkachuk we would have started to become prospect-deep in that category of big-ish, good-ish wingers.

On the other hand, we addressed a different glaring hole.

I agree Juolevi was the right pick, but regardless of who we have? In the reality of who we actually have, I agree.

But if we had no legitimate forward prospects and had our current d-core with two legitimate d prospects also on their way...in that case I'd probably have rather added a forward.

I'd still have taken OJ.

People still underestimating I see...

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'd still have taken OJ.

People still underestimating I see...

For real?

I'm just trying to envision the same set of circumstances, but with the glut on D rather than at forward...who would be comparable defensive prospects to Virtanen and Boeser? Honka and Provorov? (I know I'm embellishing somewhat...)

But if you already had two great prospects to add to a somewhat solid D core, you'd add a third great prospect rather than addressing a glaring hole?

Didn't Benning even say that some percentage of the decision to choose Juolevi had to do with our current landscape?

I guess I'm just saying that while I think Juolevi was BPA, it wasn't so absolutely clear-cut that the current make-up of our team had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I hope I'm underestimating Juolevi, I'd love to see him exceed how high I am on him.