The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:12 AM, Bang Bang Boogie said:

In person, he's great.  I noticed him a lot too when I saw him in person.  He does so many little things well.  However, we paid him 6 million to score goals and be an offensive factor.

Look how much and how well he was anticipating the play last night against SJ. He is smooth.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 9:58 AM, SliteriousBlackbeard said:

Why are we paying Loui there biggest contract of his career? His best days are behind him. Benning seems to smart to make a dumb move like this.

Giving notable Swedish players their biggest contracts as they start to exit the prime of their careers, seems to be something that the Canucks organization loves to do.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Giving notable Swedish players their biggest contracts as they start to exit the prime of their careers, seems to be something that the Canucks organization loves to do.

We need to see Loui under a different coach, or at least more time with the right players. Loui's best years were with Richards, so if you're not going to put Loui with the twins all year then Bo makes the most sense. I think you can chalk up a lot of this year for Loui to Willie's deployment decisions.

Everyone here is forgetting that, for about a year and a half before we signed him, Loui did everything he could to legally telegraph that he was coming to the Canucks.  Everyone who was paying attention knew that he was coming here looooooong before free-agency kicked off.

So, there was really no question we were going to sign him - and there was no choice between him and someone else.  We signed him a year before we actually singed him.  We just had to wait to avoid tampering charges.  It was a unique situation the likes of which we'd never really seen before.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, S'all Good Man said:

We need to see Loui under a different coach, or at least more time with the right players. Loui's best years were with Richards, so if you're not going to put Loui with the twins all year then Bo makes the most sense. I think you can chalk up a lot of this year for Loui to Willie's deployment decisions.

Different coach would be good. I guess there is always next season. This one is looking like a wash now, which really, isn't that bad of a thing at all.

If Benning can clean house and move as many veterans as possible for some draft picks, this season can be considered a success from the perspective of building for the future.

I mean, even if the Canucks were able to grease the wheels and get into the wild card spot, it would have been a one and done. What's the point of that? Playoff experience isn't that positive when you're getting swept.

I'm not saying his contract is great, but to put into perspective. Vrbata last year scored 27 points in 63 games. Eriksson has scored 21 in 53 games. 

Vrbata leaves the Canucks and now leads the Coyotes in points with 35. Eriksson is only one goal shy of tying Vrbata's total goals for last year.

On 2/6/2017 at 10:38 AM, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Everyone here is forgetting that, for about a year and a half before we signed him, Loui did everything he could to legally telegraph that he was coming to the Canucks.  Everyone who was paying attention knew that he was coming here looooooong before free-agency kicked off.

So, there was really no question we were going to sign him - and there was no choice between him and someone else.  We signed him a year before we actually singed him.  We just had to wait to avoid tampering charges.  It was a unique situation the likes of which we'd never really seen before.

Why should we believe you?  Surely you can find up something to back this up.

People think that Benning was so hot to trot to get rid of Seguin.  Why Eriksson in return?  Was that Benning's idea?

20 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm not saying his contract is great, but to put into perspective. Vrbata last year scored 27 points in 63 games. Eriksson has scored 21 in 53 games. 

Vrbata leaves the Canucks and now leads the Coyotes in points with 35. Eriksson is only one goal shy of tying Vrbata's total goals for last year.

Yeah honestly, I think it's the team as a whole that is sucking the life out of players here. I think it might just be the structure due to the overall quality of players.

Edited by suitup

Rarely has a signing of a free agent worked out for us. Eriksson has been a non factor. Definitely not what I was hoping. Maybe he'll be better next year? But, how are we not trying everything in our power to keep Hansen, including trading Eriksson. I guess we can't move Louie because he got the bulletproof contract for 6 freakin' years. Stupid...stupid...stupid!

On 1/15/2017 at 11:17 PM, RetroCanuck said:

Ya but with Dallas he was young and going into his prime. Now he's older and about to go into the decline stage. My guess is that the last three years of his contract are really going to hurt this team.

The real problem is Benning's golden parachute deal,

It's BS when people's say pro's don't need things like up coming contracts to keep them motivated and accountable,, these contracts are bad

Unless you are signing your own homegrown players, 6 x 6 is not something anyone should get on their final pro deal, that's the deal you give someone in his prime 25 26 years old, after the age of 32 it should be 3 year contracts max, after 35 2 years, and if you make it to 38 and are still playing 1 year deals,

But you don't give a guy his final big payout upfront then expect him to bust his ass for 6 year as he physically decline

The NHL should have performance reviews every 2 years on long term deals and if they aren't being earned teams should be able to take the player to arbitration. Ihave no idea why the NHL tolerates such assinine contracts as Yashin DI Pietro, Luongo, Hossa and to a lesser extent a deal like this, you shouldn't have to offer bad deals to get talent, there should be restrictions on the type of deal you can offer

5 hours ago, Li'l Fra said:

Rarely has a signing of a free agent worked out for us. Eriksson has been a non factor. Definitely not what I was hoping. Maybe he'll be better next year? But, how are we not trying everything in our power to keep Hansen, including trading Eriksson. I guess we can't move

Louie because he got the bulletproof contract for 6 freakin' years. Stupid...stupid...stupid!

We have one magic bullet to end this situation, one chance is all Benning has and he would be a fool not to right the wrong' Vegas will gladly take on his contract, it wouldn't even bother them, to them  it would be great value, and taking him would be a sure thing

If he isn't left exposed in the draft then I really will have to question Benning's ability to GM in the NHL

7 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

We have one magic bullet to end this situation, one chance is all Benning has and he would be a fool not to right the wrong' Vegas will gladly take on his contract, it wouldn't even bother them, to them  it would be great value, and taking him would be a sure thing

If he isn't left exposed in the draft then I really will have to question Benning's ability to GM in the NHL

He cannot be exposed to the expansion draft, unless he agrees. NMC.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, gurn said:

There is no chance they trade or expose (if they even could) Loui. The optics would be horrible to future UFAs and on top of this it can be argued (although no definitive proof) that JB was behind the deal in Boston to land Ericksson in exchange for Seguin and thus is JBs guy. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar

On 16/02/2017 at 2:09 PM, gurn said:

I'm under the impression that he can be waived.  If he clears, fine and he's not exposed.  If not we've got $6M of cap to play with in free agency.  Is that not the case?