The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's been discussed if you browse back through the thread. As of right now, I don't believe there's any rules specifically against it.

But yes, it is unlikely and I'm sure Benning will attempt to find a trade to a cap basement team once his bonus is paid and his contract is 'upside down'. Failing that however, I'd not be shocked to see us waive him and call his bluff on riding buses in Utica for his remaining $9m over three years. I wouldn't be shocked to see him mutually terminate under that scenario.

I think that his defensive play could be attractive to a team that needs cap to get to the floor.

Essentially, after his July 1 bonus is paid, he will be earning 3 million per year for the next 3 years, and eating up 6 million in cap space. That's not a bad deal for a smaller market team. Might need to add something to make it work, but should be possible.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think that his defensive play could be attractive to a team that needs cap to get to the floor.

Essentially, after his July 1 bonus is paid, he will be earning 3 million per year for the next 3 years, and eating up 6 million in cap space. That's not a bad deal for a smaller market team. Might need to add something to make it work, but should be possible.

Considering that he would be decent value at $3M/year, I don't think there would be any need to add anything. I think the difficult part would be finding a small market team that he would be willing to move to.

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Considering that he would be decent value at $3M/year, I don't think there would be any need to add anything. I think the difficult part would be finding a small market team that he would be willing to move to.

I think he'll be happy to waive to any city that isn't spelled U...T...I...C...A and stay in the NHL.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:14 AM, aGENT said:

Call his bluff on riding buses in Utica for his remaining $9m over three years. I wouldn't be shocked to see him mutually terminate under that scenario, should it get that far.

If it would get so far No player is interested in the Canucks if they don't get paid in advance... To not honor a written contract the management has agreed on and try to bully a player is just plain stupid. 

Just to get such a stupid idea shows how bad the fans are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

If it would get so far No player is interested in the Canucks if they don't get paid in advance... To not honor a written contract the management has agreed on and try to bully a player is just plain stupid. 

Speak for yourself man. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

looks pretty gloomy.

have to await the 2021 offseason to generate some savings.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/05/17/what-would-an-eriksson-buyout-look-like/

Albatross contract for sure. But on the other hand there are a lot of these type of contracts out there. Only question is what do we give up for someone to accept Louie as a bottom 6 guy. But you know what I think is going to happen is, Louie is going to be like Pavlov's dog and start scoring again when his contract is almost over.

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

They're honouring the contract just fine,in that scenario. He'll have been paid $27 of $36m and will be able to collect his final $9m over 3 years, while riding buses in Utica, as contractually agreed to.

Something tells me, he might prefer to go home and play in the SHL recouping some of his 'lost' $ instead ;)

And like I said, clearly this is a last resort. The team will attempt to trade him first (and likely will be able to as he's decent value to a cap basement team). But he wouldn't be the first large contract to get demoted to the AHL and he won't be the last, should that occur.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

Just now, aGENT said:

They're honouring the contract just fine,in that scenario. He'll have been paid $27 of $36m and will be able to collect his final $9m over 3 years, while riding buses in Utica, as contractually agreed to.

Something tells me, he might prefer to go home and play in the SHL recouping some of his 'lost' $ instead ;)

And like I said, clearly this is a last resort. The team will attempt to trade him first (and likely will be able to as he's decent value to a cap basement team). But he wouldn't be the first large contract to get demoted to the AHL and he won't be the last.

Makes you wonder too if that situation occurred, I doubt Loui would report to Utica which could possibly lead to a mutual termination of the contract?

I get the argument would be that he would be leaving money on the table, but if his NHL career is in jeopardy, maybe he walks away with a clean sheet.  Im sure a team would sign him to a cheap contract still. 

• Like 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Makes you wonder too if that situation occurred, I doubt Loui would report to Utica which could possibly lead to a mutual termination of the contract?

I get the argument would be that he would be leaving money on the table, but if his NHL career is in jeopardy, maybe he walks away with a clean sheet.  Im sure a team would sign him to a cheap contract still. 

Precisely. Or go home to Sweden and play in the SHL.

I HIGHLY doubt he'd have interest in riding buses in Utica for 3 years for $3M per when he's made something approaching $60m in his career. He can probably make something approaching $3m per yer off his investments alone.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Oh god...here we go again.

The "loui is gonna walk away from 13 million (or 9 after July 1st) dollars" narrative. 

Haha..won't happen but keeping saying it :frantic:

Its fine. Even if he doesn't I dont see hin being on this team for much longer. He can legit ride the Utica bus for 3 mill or whatever. Even with the 6 mill dead cap i feel we'd be better off with any other winger available.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Its fine. Even if he doesn't I dont see hin being on this team for much longer. He can legit ride the Utica bus for 3 mill or whatever. Even with the 6 mill dead cap i feel we'd be better off with any other winger available.

Do we get a 1 million dollar reprieve off the cap if Loui is in Utica?  He still gets his full salary, but I thought we get a 1 million dollar relief off the cap?  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Do we get a 1 million dollar reprieve off the cap if Loui is in Utica?  He still gets his full salary, but I thought we get a 1 million dollar relief off the cap?  

yes, we'd save 1 mil of cap space sending him to Utica. We actually save money sending him to Utica (bury 1 mil) vs a buyout (save 444k) for the next 2 years. We'd save 2.4 mil in year 3 tho for a buyout. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Even with the 6 mill dead cap i feel we'd be better off with any other winger available.

Sadly, I don't think we have a single winger available in this organization (that isn't already on the main roster during the season) that is even close to an upgrade on LE. 

Perhaps you mean any other winger available anywhere in the league? 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

And like I said, clearly this is a last resort. The team will attempt to trade him first (and likely will be able to as he's decent value to a cap basement team). But he wouldn't be the first large contract to get demoted to the AHL and he won't be the last, should that occur.

Well, since the contract isn't Louis fault the club send all the wrong signals to other players if they should be so stupid to even talk about Utica.

The only thing the club can do if they find him useless is to pay enough for him to become available on the free market. If the club want to be a serious contender in the league. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yes, we'd save 1 mil of cap space sending him to Utica. We actually save money sending him to Utica (bury 1 mil) vs a buyout (save 444k) for the next 2 years. We'd save 2.4 mil in year 3 tho for a buyout. 

And the club can forget ever to get players like EK... 

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Well, since the contract isn't Louis fault the club send all the wrong signals to other players if they should be so stupid to even talk about Utica.

The only thing the club can do if they find him useless is to pay enough for him to become available on the free market. If the club want to be a serious contender in the league. 

No. Loui's play and pending inability to hold down a roster slot in the NHL is his problem.

I'm perfectly fine with the organization sending the 'signals' that if you don't perform, you don't play. That's the exact message they should be sending and I don't worry at all about it affecting their position with UFA'S etc.

I don't want guys that would be worried about that here anyway.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

No. Loui's play and pending inability to hold down a roster slot in the NHL is his problem.

A contract is a contract. To think it's just fine to force an unfair change isn't about "hold down a roster slot". 

The contract is written with the value the parts agree on in a certain time. If that change you can't blame the player. 

Par example, Green doesn't like Loui so he plays him in a position Green knows Loui will look useless in. 

Neither you or I know what is happening wich means that the organisation should hold their end of the deal. 

Edited by Timråfan