The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Skille added to PTO list

PhillipBlunt

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

I think his game last night put Etem on notice. That's the job for him if he wants one. It's about the only spot he can steal. 

Gaunce, Zalewski etc are not helping Etem's case either. He's going to need to find that other gear he's shown flashes of.

There's some crazy competition this year (on D as well) and it's pretty f'n awesome :towel:

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Etem definitely shouldn't be coasting this pre-season. Lot of young guys hungry for a spot.

Well, what message is sent to Etem, when Carcone (who clearly outplayed him) gets sent to Utica and Etem gets to stay?  That seems like a message that can confuse a player, no?  "Oh gee, I am playing fine. I'm doing better than that guy."  Alf is angry at our management for sending Carcone down, when clearly Etem is not as good.

When I watch Etem, he looks like someone who is skating hard and trying on every shift. 

The only problem is that the effort very rarely seem to lead to anything. You don't see D-men making mistakes with the puck when he forchecks, he doesn't strip the forward of the puck from behind before they get through the neutral zone. And when he wins a puck battle along the boards, how many scoring chances are created? Not sure if it's a lack of hockey sense or over thinking or just trying so hard that he is not letting the play come to him. A lot of his effort just seems to be miss placed somehow. 

It's like watching someone on a treadmill trying to win a hundred meter dash. 

8 minutes ago, John McClane said:

When I watch Etem, he looks like someone who is skating hard and trying on every shift. 

The only problem is that the effort very rarely seem to lead to anything. You don't see D-men making mistakes with the puck when he forchecks, he doesn't strip the forward of the puck from behind before they get through the neutral zone. And when he wins a puck battle along the boards, how many scoring chances are created? Not sure if it's a lack of hockey sense or over thinking or just trying so hard that he is not letting the play come to him. A lot of his effort just seems to be miss placed somehow. 

It's like watching someone on a treadmill trying to win a hundred meter dash. 

That's a wonderful analogy.  He's getting no where, yet he continues to stay over guys, who are clearly getting somewhere.  Makes no sense to this Alien.

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I agree. An interesting question might be whether you keep Skille or Gaunce or even Zalewski. IMHO both these players are close. Invest in youth or experience? 

I'd keep Skille as the 13th forward, worst case scenario you put him on waivers.  Zalewski, I'm not too impressed with yet

53 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Skille has looked good so far. I think he steals a spot.

IMO he's like Dorsett but not as tough and probably a little slower but has better hands. He'd be a good 13th forward and it never hurts having more depth. I'd be fine with giving him a 1 way at league minimum. There's really no risk involved.

Ruutu looked OK last night but he's clearly being out played by Skille and will not be getting a contract.

Honestly though, Linden Vey looked better than all of these PTOs. He was a pretty damn good set up man that could fill in for injuries if needed. *sigh* I'm over it. 

On 9/29/2016 at 11:36 AM, Alflives said:

Well, what message is sent to Etem, when Carcone (who clearly outplayed him) gets sent to Utica and Etem gets to stay?  That seems like a message that can confuse a player, no?  "Oh gee, I am playing fine. I'm doing better than that guy."  Alf is angry at our management for sending Carcone down, when clearly Etem is not as good.

See: waivers

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

IMO he's like Dorsett but not as tough and probably a little slower but has better hands. He'd be a good 13th forward and it never hurts having more depth. I'd be fine with giving him a 1 way at league minimum. There's really no risk involved.

Ruutu looked OK last night but he's clearly being out played by Skille and will not be getting a contract.

Honestly though, Linden Vey looked better than all of these PTOs. He was a pretty damn good set up man that could fill in for injuries if needed. *sigh* I'm over it. 

Exactly man. You just gotta let vey go.  Believe me. Nobody is taking this harder than willie D.

On 2016-09-29 at 5:23 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure if Skille tipped that goal or not but regardless, it's that sort of hard work and net front presence this team needs. If he keeps that up we should definately stick him into our bottom 6 or at least give him a contract.

The problem here is dealing with WD's allegiances' .. All of his Junior ties with players like Vey, Etem, Dorsett, will either bite him or us in the butt.

59 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

The problem here is dealing with WD's allegiances' .. All of his Junior ties with players like Vey, Etem, Dorsett,. and possibly a family tie with Sutter (Medincine Hat)... will either bite him or us in the butt.

I thought the sutters are in sylvan lake/ reddeer area, every damn one of them. 

• 1 year later...

Archived