The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bennington on 1040 Friday Dec. 2nd

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, suitup said:

And even P. Kane has redefined his game to include more defensive side as well! And he's become a better offensive player for it as well. 

I remember Scotty Bowman discussing a conversation he had years ago with Yzerman.  It was about Yzerman being a complete player, and how that could help their team win.  Look how great Fedorov was.  That guy played defence better than most defencemen.  We just need to be patient with JV.  When he gets it, which he will, then his scoring will come.  And like you say, his offence just might be improved too. 

26 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

The Flames were up to fishy buisness playing Virtanen on the 2nd and 3rd lines after we drafted him. Benning had him on the main roster because there was no option for Utica.

McCann played his way onto the team and then fell off a cliff. Got us Gudbranson so I'm cool with that. Keep declining McCann, keep declining...

I think canner plays bigger and better in a high pressure market.  he too me looks like a guy who likes weight on his shoulders because it challenges time.

the difference of a hockey mad market like vancouver and the retirement community of Florida is night and day.

I know Florida is more then that but their fan base is slim and expectations on a deeper fla team are far less.  feel for canner.  he really bought into being a canucks and trying to strive into becoming a role model. 

on a plus side it has given bo more room to shine and other centers more ice time. I was sad to see canner go because he was so exciting. but now having a back end that can actually punish opposing forwards is nice. 

I'm not sure if you all noticed it but guddy kept going after Kesler last night. he either knocked him over or hit him into the boards like 4 or 5 times in the first 2 periods. he was physical and kesler was not wanting any of guddy.  

Kesler had maybe 1-2 chances in the third the rest of the game guddy was knocking him over. it pleased me very much.  just need that consistency.

1 hour ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

If good as in not terrible anymore, then yes I agree. He's able to hold his ground now at times but he's "good" because he's not being a complete liability on defense anymore.

...btw Guddy brought in was different than Sbisa. Sbisa JB said he'd need to grow. Guddy was said to be an immediate top4 impact dman fwiw :/ 

Everyone knew that Sbisa's "development" would have to be unravelled before he became the player he is starting to look like. He was brought on too fast, firstly with the Flyers at 18 years old and then Anaheim.

That is why I seem to recall that JB said he would turn into a top D when he settled down and matured.

As for Guddy, the league is full of players who moved to the West and needed a period of adjustment. You forget Guddy is only 24 and playing in a very young and inexperienced D. Some people complain about his production but that is just ignorance as he has never topped 13 points in any season in Florida.

12 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Kesler had maybe 1-2 chances in the third the rest of the game guddy was knocking him over. it pleased me very much.  just need that consistency.

And that is why I think the Canucks made that trade. The best is yet to come.

13 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I'm not sure if you all noticed it but guddy kept going after Kesler last night. he either knocked him over or hit him into the boards like 4 or 5 times in the first 2 periods. he was physical and kesler was not wanting any of guddy.  

Uhmm, Kesler had the 2nd most shots on net for Anaheim and his line did score the first goal.

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Uhmm, Kesler had the 2nd most shots on net for Anaheim and his line did score the first goal.

$&!#ty shots.  most of which were followed up with being knocked too the ice.  be had 2 quality chances in the 3rd the rest were low percentage shots from what I saw.

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Patient with him eh....want him to develop.......then what was he doing in Vancouver last year? 

I'm pretty much on board with most of JB/TL's decisions since they've been in charge, but he (Virt) was rushed along last year - that cannot be reasonably disputed.  Now, in hindsight, they're finally doing the right thing and he's where he should be, practicing and developing his overall game in Utica instead of sitting in the pressbox in Vancouver. 

The whole Virt thing reeks of ownership interference - they wanted to fill seats and knew Virt could do that - admittedly this theory is just imo and I acknowledge that. 

I would never go to a canucks game to see a rookie of virtanens caliber. I doubt they did that to sell tickets

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

^This is depressing because he's saying Gudbranson isn't the player they thought he'd be right away. The exact same thing was said after Sbisa played and they got a read on type of player he was. I hope everyone can see what the implication of this statement is. I can't wait to cry when Gudbranson is signed to a deal north of $5M per.

^Jake can't even hold his ground in the A. I'm concerned he's lost his instincts that made him so successful in junior seeing that it's not translating to the pro level. Young, yes, but he's playing like a grinder when we drafted him as a dynamic goal scoring power forward / he's forgot all about his offense.

^Self explanatory lol. Even JB doesn't get WillieD's thought process and clearly isn't really on the same page. I don't think Willie got the memo that Bo is the teams leading goal scorer and he worked his way out of the 4th line at the beginning of the season - a place where he shouldn't have been to start off with anyways. 

giphy.gif

Well that is one way to interpret that information. Not my take, but sure, think the absolute worst thing you can, if that works for you. 

EW  

4 hours ago, TheSecretIsMe said:

Something tells me they kept him with the club to keep him away from distractions. I've grown up in BC and I'm in a similar age group to Virtanen and know some players (ECHL level) who have played with him or gone to school with him. Their take on the Canucks keeping him up was that he's a cool guy and likes to party and sometimes he gets a little overzealous. Even I've seen him out and about in Whiterock pretty lit with some of his friends, and to be honest nobody would even bat an eye if he wasn't a pro sports players. But he is, and was drafted in the top ten of his class. There's a lot riding on him from the perspective of the Canucks, so they probably wanted to ensure he had his head on straight or at the least they could keep an eye on him to see how he would respond.

Few are as mature as Bo Horvat.

That Virtanen likes to party and can be a little wild probably puts him in the same boat as most people at that age.  I can see why they would want to keep a watchful eye on a 6th OA pick who was like this.  I suspect that's why they kept him up last year and that physically at least, he was fine.  Utica is under the direct control of the Canucks unlike the Hitmen.  Travis Green is a fine mentor to the young players so he is in good hands.

If keeping Virtanen up was a mistake, then effectively admitting they made one and correcting it is a good sign for this management group imo.

3 hours ago, Borvat said:

The league should be meeting with Kadri about his dirty play - late hits and head shots.  If he didn't play for Toronto he would have been suspended for his head shot on Sedin.

Text book predatory hit with the head as primary contact with intent.

Don't know why the league is so concerned. They viewed the hits by Reilly and Kadri as clean and within the rules.

Why would they think something is going to happen?...because someone talked smack to a reporter?...don't be silly

6 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

What a joke the NHL is.  Quintal meeting with the Canucks?  What's he going to say?

"I know the league didn't do sweet **** all to protect your star player from a blind side hit to the head, but you better not retaliate and police the issue yourself or else!"

Is he meeting with the leafs as well? Or is this another beat down on the Canucks by the establishment?

9 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Is he meeting with the leafs as well? Or is this another beat down on the Canucks by the establishment?

They are probably scared the Canucks are going to go after their golden boy Matthews and wanted to nip it in the bud.

This league is weak.

Archived