The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Recall D Andrey Pedan

b3.

If you were to get Utica's best defenseman of late you would have to sign Colby Roback to an NHL conract first, and that isn't going to happen.   My guess is until you get a d-man off the injured list you will see a revolving door of Pedan, Subban, and maybe even Sautner or McEanaey with each getting a sniff of practice and a seat in the press box, with real ice time limited to a true emegency or further injuries.   I think they will rotate back down to keep everyone fresh (no use having someone like Pedan be the designated sitee.)   In my opinion Pedan and Subban are both careless with the puck in their own zone and try to carry it out too much, when they should just clear it out of the zone.  Was evident last night.  Right now Pedan is the better of the two with size being in his favor.  Both get beaten often on-D by AHL-caliber wingers.  

With Linden and Smyl in the house last night, they really had to be impressed with Demko.  He is the real deal.  We had Marty Brodeur for a whole season with the Utica Devils before he went on to his storied Hall-of-Fame NHL career, could Thatcher repeat.  Ironcially his coach - Rollie - was also a Utica Devil. 

A guy that hits and stands up for his team mates. He'll never crack willies lineup. 

Sarcasm, aside biega should be in and he should have played more than he has.  

I like pedan he looked good last season when given the chance but I would be surprised if he gets a game. 

3 hours ago, Katobaron said:

Perfect! Aside from his toughness he brings a lot to the table, if they can squeeze him in over Biega for a couple games he should be fun to watch.

Hopefully he is more defensively aware than the last time he was up. I started to wonder if he was sleep walking.

37 minutes ago, combover said:

A guy that hits and stands up for his team mates. He'll never crack willies lineup. 

Sarcasm, aside biega should be in and he should have played more than he has.  

I like pedan he looked good last season when given the chance but I would be surprised if he gets a game. 

There is more to good defensive play than hitting and fighting. 

Thankfully Willie is more tuned in than you are and realises that. 

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

I think 1040 know about as much as we do sometimes.

were you talking about Subban..if so you are probably right..I just thought this was about Pedan,

I think that CDC, with all its flaws and weirdness, collectively knows WAY more about the Canucks than TSN 1040 (it's the TSN part that gets in the way of any kind of balanced information-based discussion - it was a sad day for Canucks radio when they took over).  GCG!

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

That he's simply not ready would be the biggest. 

It also completely dismisses the fact that despite what CDC thinks, Canuck coaching and managements jobs are to win games, not 'test out' players. I assure you, they already have a VERY good idea of what they have in Subban and where he's at.

We've sure seen a lot of that the last two years.....

The point i think wallstreet is trying to make is if we are going to lose.  We might as well come out of the loss having accomplished something.  That being a better knowledge on what we have in young player with upside. 

Seems like a smart move, no?

Unless you find it's extremely important to find out more about a career depth players like we did with Bart last year.  That sure helped this team out short and long term..... 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Finally Benning  pulls his head out of his  a..........

Pedan is exactly what this team needs.. and has needed for the last 5 years.

Finally a player on our club that will stick up for his team mates and has the skillz to do it properly...

I think JB has given WD the chance to use Pedan in the past, But Willie seems to trust issues with players he does not know, or insecurities around certain types of players.

Happy for Andrey, hope he gets the opportunity to get 2-3 games in at least, but I think making Biegga eligible for the expansion is a priority.

I know Pedan is free of waivers on the way up,.. but what about back to Utica?

anyone?

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

He is considered an emergency call-up?  Meaning he could be sent down before 10games/30 days (I think) without going through waivers or it's a simple call-up and will have to go through waivers once everyone is healthy?

It's a regular recall - they have 18 players for tonight plus LaBate and now Pedan.  

The 10 games / 30 days is for a regular recall and would apply here.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

We've sure seen a lot of that the last two years.....

The point i think wallstreet is trying to make is if we are going to lose.  We might as well come out of the loss having accomplished something.  That being a better knowledge on what we have in young player with upside. 

Seems like a smart move, no?

Unless you find it's extremely important to find out more about a career depth players like we did with Bart last year.  That sure helped this team out short and long term..... 

Trying to win and winning are not the same thing ;)

And no, if the player is not NHL ready, it likely isn't a smart move. Is getting turnstiled, having your confidence beaten out of you and getting stapled to the bench 'smart'?Or even worse, getting nailed like Larsen the other night?

Archived