The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Rodin | RW/LW

b3.

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

ROLE MODEL....it's not sheltering them, it's not having old players around them, it is having a guy who knows how to play and is in there peer group still, showing them the way while playing on the same line as them.

The Sedins play together so only one kid can play with them anyway and this will be there last year.  Erikkson is not a role model and will likely end up in the press box. Dorsett will pull 4th line minutes ...likely with Erikkson so not much mentoring going on from there.

Rodin will be the bell of the ball by mid-season but will any of you guys say "oh hey you were right, just like you were right about Horvat, etc., etc." , don't think so.....

Did we even extend Rodin a contract?  

18 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I think we tried him,time to let him go as we have many as good or better from what I have seen

Three games?

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

For me, Rodin totally fits as he's a skilled player providing some internal competition in the top 9.

on the wing there are 6 spots on lines 1-3 and we'd have Sedin, Eriksson, Baertschi, Granlund, Rodin, Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Dahlen, Boucher and Gaunce to go with an army of 4th liners.  Realistically, Dahlen doesn't crack the lineup and Gaunce could play 4th line so it's 9 guys fighting for 6 spots.  

That's healthy competition and exactly what this team has been lacking the past few seasons heading into training camp.  

If management wants a shift from Willie playing Megna up the lineup over skilled players... good. Then make them earn it against other skilled players.  Utica will benefit as well and let's not forget a team's NHL roster players are almost always the biggest "assets" in the organization - we can always flip him.

Depending on their other picks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas take Rodin either. They are going to need skill, and it's hard to do better than an SEL MVP who's entering his prime and will be super-cheap.  If he lights it up, we'll be hearing "Why didn't Benning offer Vegas a bribe not to take him?"

Rollieo declared the "just watch" as Horvat was coming into his first season.  Let's see if he can pull off another...

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Three games?

Depending on their other picks, I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas take Rodin either. They are going to need skill, and it's hard to do better than an SEL MVP who's entering his prime and will be super-cheap.  If he lights it up, we'll be hearing "Why didn't Benning offer Vegas a bribe not to take him?"

Rollieo declared the "just watch" as Horvat was coming into his first season.  Let's see if he can pull off another...

Good point on Vegas... depends on what's available to them on D whether they take Sbisa or not.  Rodin would be an interesting gamble considering we aren't exposing any real sure-fire forwards and as much as I like Gaunce's upside Rodin is a much better bet to put up points.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Three games?

For the record, I hope we retain him and then move one of him or Baer at the TDL for a tidy return and then let (likely) Dahlen take that spot.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

For the record, I hope we retain him and then move one of him or Baer at the TDL for a tidy return and then let (likely) Dahlen take that spot.

Wellll, that's assuming Dahlen will turn out better?  Or Goldie for that matter?  Regardless, it will be fun now watching the kids to see which one(s) rise to the top.

....sorry for getting cranky yesterday....I just know Rodin will be way more of a "foundational" player than Sutter ( who I like alright but is a 3rd line center at best) ...Benning called Sutter "foundational" and as soon as he sees Rodin for half a season that will be his opinion of him as well....so the only way we trade him is for a younger foundational player which isn't going to happen...maybe we could get one of Nolan or Nico at this years trade deadline but only if they are not ripping it up and Rodin is (he will be).

I think Benning will be trying to move some of those spare parts around this summer...clear some space on the roster.

• 4 weeks later...

Really hoping that we resign Rodin (and Boucher) so that we can give our prospect a little extra time to develop while gaining potential tradable assets. Let our guys like Boeser, Goldy, Dahlen, Virtanen mesh and grow in Utica and make trades through out the year.

-As lineup stands without trades

Baer-Bo-Rodin

Sedins-Granlund

Eriksson-Sutter-Boucher

Gaunce-Chaput-Dorsett

As the year progresses trade some players to contenders like Dorsett and Rodin.Maybe even the Sedins...(I know Sedin trades probs won't happen)

Rodin looked really good when he played and that was on one leg essentially.   If he truly is healed and ready for the season, hard to see him not being NHL material and a nice piece for Vancouver either as part of the team or someone to use in an asset swap.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a soft spot for Anton, hoping management gives him another look.  A healthy knee will allow him to show his full potential as a player.  I see a similar mold of a player like Pontus Aberg.  Small, skilled, fast and feisty.  

I think if you have a Granlund-Sutter-Rodin third line, defensively responsible, but a line that can offensively push back too.

1 hour ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

This kids career has been disastrous. Did a gypsy put a curse on him?

It's so disappointing to see a talented kid not get a chance to show what he's got.

I hope he gets a shot this year and injuries are a thing of the past.

Hurt while playing for the AHL Wolves, hurt playing in the SEL and then hurt again last year. Maybe he needs a career change. Might make a good rehab trainer. 

I think this is a good move. He was pretty good in training camp but we know how the whole deal ended for him. We also so how WD seem seemingly didn't know how to use him. 

As much as he was having injury problems he also had to deal with incompetent coaching.

Management did the right thing in signing this kid. Lets see what he really has.

• Upvote 2