The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reid Boucher | LW/RW

Salmonberries

Give the kid the 1 way and make him feel he's worth it. 

Who cares about the cap? It'll just hurt aquamans pocket if he clears... regardless, I don't see him clearing waivers. Well maybe he will start of the year when there's 100 other guys on waivers but he'll eventually find a team that picks him up. He's got a solid set of skills.

Jim should call his agent and agree to a 1 way before arbitration, then call Reid and say something positive and motivate him.

"Hey Reid, sorry it got to this... you're a great up incoming prospect for us and we'll gladly give you your 1 year 1 way deal" 

Come on... Nickeling and diming over guys under 1mill is a joke... just keep them happy and motivated. Most importantly, make them feel wanted by their franchise.

Edited by apollo

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Likeliness of Boucher staying on the roster, dwindling.

37 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Not too concerned if he does or doesn't end up on the team next year. He has potential of course, but so do our other prospects.

Have to agree that filing for arbitration is not the kind of thing to make Benning happy. Benning is kind of old school and seems to think that, until a player shows he belongs in the NHL, he should not get a lot of perks. Although many people, including me, think he overpaid to resign vets like Dorsett, Sbisa, and Sutter, he has not shown similar generosity with prospects. 

Boucher was kind of marginal for the opening night 23-man roster and I don't think he is Green's type of player either. He reminds me of Kyle Wellwood but not as good.

Of course Boucher would like a one-way contract, especially as I think it is likely he would be waived to Utica to start the season. Don't see how the arbitrator gives him one though. He would probably be happy to settle for a significant raise in the minor league part of his contract. His QO is 715K at the NHL level and only 70K at the AHL level (according to Cap Friendly).

If the Canucks were to offer, say, 300K at the AHL level he would probably jump at it. And, in fairness, I do think he deserves more at the AHL level than 70K. He has shown himself to be a consistent scorer at that level and veteran scoring AHL players often get a lot more than 70K.

• Upvote 1

I don't see Boucher in a good position to file for arbitration. He was waved twice last year and only managed to stick once he joined our weak team. He's either not going to get much from the arbitrator or Benning is just going to let him go. 

As @JamesB said, I can see Boucher wanting a higher AHL salary and that may be one saving grace for him. A higher AHL salary could be all that he needs to be satisfied, considering that there's a good chance that's where he's spending the season.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough he'd like a one-way deal. I know we've got a lot of other good winger prospects but I'd really hate it if we just gave up on a guy like Boucher because he was scoring at a 20 goal pace despite playing with some pretty rubbish wingers. This guy could easily break-out next season on any team if he got consistent minutes, he just needs that opportunity. We're giving chances to all sorts of players next season so I hope we still give Boucher a red-hot crack. I'd rather give Boucher a decent chance than Burmistrov.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Fair enough he'd like a one-way deal. I know we've got a lot of other good winger prospects but I'd really hate it if we just gave up on a guy like Boucher because he was scoring at a 20 goal pace despite playing with some pretty rubbish wingers. This guy could easily break-out next season on any team if he got consistent minutes, he just needs that opportunity. We're giving chances to all sorts of players next season so I hope we still give Boucher a red-hot crack. I'd rather give Boucher a decent chance than Burmistrov.

I think that Megna lucked out getting a one way deal but it was only because he signed so early.  Since the draft and free agency, the Canucks are so deep up front in terms of players on the verge of making the NHL.  There are a bunch who aren't going to make the cut who are frankly better than Megna and Benning can't have them all on one way contracts.  Boucher and Chaput can file for arbitration all they want but they may find themselves on waivers win or lose.

19 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that Megna lucked out getting a one way deal but it was only because he signed so early.  Since the draft and free agency, the Canucks are so deep up front in terms of players on the verge of making the NHL.  There are a bunch who aren't going to make the cut who are frankly better than Megna and Benning can't have them all on one way contracts.  Boucher and Chaput can file for arbitration all they want but they may find themselves on waivers win or lose.

Is there any way now that we can get rid of Megna short of a trade? Are we even allowed to waive him now with a one-way contract in the hopes he gets picked up, or is it pretty much just play-or-press box. Terrible decision to give him a 1-way deal. I like his speed, but I don't see him cracking the roster with Gagner, Goldobin and Burmistrov coming in. 

Other option is to wait until after training camp and trade whichever player doesn't fit for a throw-away late pick.

• Upvote 1

Hope management puts him in roles where we could maximize his value by upping his offensive utilization, and maybe he could have a Jeff Tambellini-esque breakout season with that shot of his.  Then, if we have room for him in an offensive role then we use him in it, and if not we could easily trade him away.  

It's definitely valid for him to want a one-way deal, but he'll have to really earn it with the UFA signings and any camp hopefuls hungry for a chance in the big team.  

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't see Boucher in a good position to file for arbitration. He was waved twice last year and only managed to stick once he joined our weak team. He's either not going to get much from the arbitrator or Benning is just going to let him go. 

As @JamesB said, I can see Boucher wanting a higher AHL salary and that may be one saving grace for him. A higher AHL salary could be all that he needs to be satisfied, considering that there's a good chance that's where he's spending the season.

The CBA doesn't allow Benning to let him go.  

In a player elected arbitration a team can only walk away if the ruling is above a certain amount - the limit was close to 4M last season.  A 2nd buyout window opens up for teams who have players going to arbitration in case they need to make cap room.  In a team elected arbitration they can't walk away regardless of the amount attributed.

Per CapFriendly Boucher's qualifying offer holds a value of 750K at the NHL level. The CBA sets the increase percentage based on the amount of the previous contract. It's a two-way because he has not met the requirements to get a one-way qualifying offer.  At the AHL level it's 70K.  

I don't see how he can expect a higher NHL salary so it must be the AHL one.  Grenier was at 125K (now 725K NHL / 150K AHL in Florida), Chaput at 225K in the AHL last season.    

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

He was on a one-way deal in New York too.  He signed in Vancouver as a UFA and they gave him the same one-way contract as with the Rangers although they expected him to spend all season in the AHL.  So it's just a continuation for him to get another one-way deal - this season it's more likely that he'll play in Utica. 

I doubt Boucher and Chaput would get a one-way.  Chaput is already at 225K in the AHL.  Biega earned 150K the last full season he spent in the AHL.  It got increased to 325K after their Calder run but he spent most of the season in Vancouver that year.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Is there any way now that we can get rid of Megna short of a trade? Are we even allowed to waive him now with a one-way contract in the hopes he gets picked up, or is it pretty much just play-or-press box. Terrible decision to give him a 1-way deal. I like his speed, but I don't see him cracking the roster with Gagner, Goldobin and Burmistrov coming in. 

Other option is to wait until after training camp and trade whichever player doesn't fit for a throw-away late pick.

I don't mind Megna if he's in Utica.  Depth is so much better this year, if you look at the numbers, good players will be sent down and have to clear waivers.  Players in danger of being sent down are:  Megna, Chaput, Gaunce, Boucher, Burmistrov, Rodin, Goldobin, Pedan and maybe others

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nobody's going to pick up Megna, a terrible one way deal. Boucher would get picked up before him. Just give Boucher a raise above the 70K in the AHL. 175-225 or w/e. 

He may be a great call up if he gets hot.

• Upvote 1

Sucks. Benning's definitely not going to like this.

This kid will probably score at least 15-20 goals at some point in his career. Once we gave him an opportunity, he started to pick it up. It'd be nice if we gave him a shot this coming season but I just don't see it with the new additions and this arbitration filing that's probably gonna ruffle Jim's feathers.

• Upvote 1

On June 27, 2017 at 2:07 AM, filthycanuck said:

Im a fan of Boucher's as well. I can see him getting, like you said, 15-20 goals if given the oppurtunity. Its kind of like what happened to Granlund where he was flying under the radar in the beginning of the season when nobody had expectations for him and quietly put up a pretty good season. The kid is a whiz in the offensive zone, defintely looked dangerous playing the half boards on the PP

I agree with you I really like Boucher.. Lines this year?

!. Bartschi - Bo - Bouchar

2.Sedin- Sedin- Boeser

3.Grandlund - Sutter - Erickson

4.Gagner - Burmistrov- Goldobin,

Extra forwards = Virtanen, Gaunce, (Dorsette might be bought out? Virtanen could easily be on line with Bo add toughness..

Gaunce or Boucher would be picked up by other teams if we try and send them to minors..

We have extra players so Dahlen will play in Utica or back to Sweden.

I feel Gaunce could have a break through season under Green, Gaunce will have more confidence.

Really like Boucher also, he has lots of talent...

On July 5, 2017 at 2:55 PM, JamesB said:

Have to agree that filing for arbitration is not the kind of thing to make Benning happy. Benning is kind of old school and seems to think that, until a player shows he belongs in the NHL, he should not get a lot of perks. Although many people, including me, think he overpaid to resign vets like Dorsett, Sbisa, and Sutter, he has not shown similar generosity with prospects. 

Boucher was kind of marginal for the opening night 23-man roster and I don't think he is Green's type of player either. He reminds me of Kyle Wellwood but not as good.

Of course Boucher would like a one-way contract, especially as I think it is likely he would be waived to Utica to start the season. Don't see how the arbitrator gives him one though. He would probably be happy to settle for a significant raise in the minor league part of his contract. His QO is 715K at the NHL level and only 70K at the AHL level (according to Cap Friendly).

If the Canucks were to offer, say, 300K at the AHL level he would probably jump at it. And, in fairness, I do think he deserves more at the AHL level than 70K. He has shown himself to be a consistent scorer at that level and veteran scoring AHL players often get a lot more than 70K.

We picked Boucher up off waivers, he will be picked up by another club if we send him down!! Gaunce is in the same situation..

Can see Dorsette being bought out or sent down? Look at opening night roster?? Goldobin can be sent down but he is ready for NHL.

Maybe we will have more trades and package some players rather then lose them on waivers.

44 minutes ago, wildcam said:

We picked Boucher up off waivers, he will be picked up by another club if we send him down!! Gaunce is in the same situation..

Can see Dorsette being bought out or sent down? Look at opening night roster?? Goldobin can be sent down but he is ready for NHL.

Maybe we will have more trades and package some players rather then lose them on waivers.

The Canucks will have to put some forwards on waivers at the start of the season.

Locks to be on the opening night roster include the Sedins, Horvat, Eriksson, Baertschi, Gagner, Sutter, and Granlund (8 guys).

I think Dorsett is a lock if he is healthy, as the Canucks desperately need some toughness and he is a tough guy who can play (at least at a good 4th line level).

I think Boeser is almost certain to get a long look to start the season.

The Canucks just signed Burmistrov and Rodin. I am pretty sure the Canucks will want to give them both a close look. Both guys would have to clear waivers if sent down.

That takes us up to 12. The Canucks might carry one extra forward or they might carry two. The guys in contention for those last one or two spots include Chaput, Megna, Gaunce, Boucher, Goldobin, and Virtanen. And if Dorsett can't play I think Labate is in contention to replace his toughness. And, while Molino and MacEwen are expected to start in Utica, they will be fighting for a spot on the big team. So will Kerfoot if the Canucks sign him after he becomes  a free agent on August 15.

Of the group listed in the previous paragraph, Chaput, Megna, Gaunce, Boucher would need to clear waivers before being sent down. At the beginning of the year it is much easier to get guys through waivers than at any other time, as all teams are trying to reduce their roster size to get the 23 man limit and there are usually not many injuries. So I think all of those guys would probably clear, although there is some possibility Gaunce or Boucher would be claimed. My best guess is that Gaunce makes the team and Boucher is sent down and clears waivers but obviously there is a fair amount of uncertainty and there will be a lot of competition for the last couple of spots on the roster.

• Upvote 3