The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mock Draft: Picks 1-31 Canucks listed as having pick #15

Seeker1

2 hours ago, Derp... said:

at 15 Vesalainen is not a bad gamble. Definitely falling this year, but has been highly touted for a while.

Based on this Mock would prefer Rasmussen though.

Would LOVE Rasmussen, but no chance unless we go on a catastrophic spiral. Guy is a C, huge, uses his size, puts up points, and from BC? Soaring up the rankings. Wouldn't be surprised if he challenges for #2 pick.

We set up to be top 10 pick.

As much as I hope we make the playoffs with 6 road wins and the easist part of our schedule over we probably tail off as the playoff teams gear up.

That's not a terrible thing. It feels like the team (other than one recent free agent signing) is on a slight uptick. A top 10 pick and seeing the torch being passed on the team are the only reason I can watch the mostly boring games this year.

Why do we HAVE to get Duchene or Landeskog? 

Iggy is off the books as a UFA. Have Colorado trade Iggy for whatever they can get. 

Then offer Tanev, our 1st, and Columbus' second rounder (whenever that is) in exchange for Colorado's first round pick? 

If Colorado finishes last, Canucks are guaranteed no worse than 4th then. And a 20% of of Nolan Patrick. 

Colorado can't lose, they don't really need a young forward with it's players. They get two picks, and Vancouver hopefully gets a #1 or #2 Centre. 

4 hours ago, suitup said:

Who do you have in mind at the top 5 with Vegas' pick? Unless you're betting on the chance at spots 1-3?

Also is the trade being made at the TDL or on draft day?

That trade isn't possible at the trade deadline. Las Vegas isn't allowed to aquire active players until the season is complete. Only players that are playing in the CHL or overseas.

1 hour ago, xereau said:

I see Benning shipping out TWO of our D's for a forward blue chip, and a depth D prospect. And drafting D again in the 1st round.

Cal Foote maybe? Not overly physical but certainly high IQ and uses his size to gain positioning.

Then draft his younger brother in two years ;) 

Haha

I've been biased towards Vesalainen for a few years now because I watched him play a few times at the under 17's and was very impressed at how he could drive to the net and drag defenders along with him while being able to protect the puck. However I do suspect that this may have been a case of a player who physically matured faster than others but once the rest catch up (maybe they have now) then his production will go down.

56 minutes ago, lmm said:

doesn't this mean we are the last team to miss?

31 teams drafting

I suppose so. I was mixed up with the draft odds, in which I've been told that the GK just get a position of the same value as third last, but without actually displacing the third last team from their place as well, creating two teams with the exact same odds. 

1 hour ago, ajhockey said:

I suppose so. I was mixed up with the draft odds, in which I've been told that the GK just get a position of the same value as third last, but without actually displacing the third last team from their place as well, creating two teams with the exact same odds. 

I'm not a fan of Vegas sliding into the draft with those odds. Maybe for another 100M Gary will sweeten the deal and just let them draft 1st(if he hasn't already!^_^).

Just now, robvp said:

I'm not a fan of Vegas sliding into the draft with those odds. Maybe for another 100M Gary will sweeten the deal and just let them draft 1st(if he hasn't already!^_^).

Haha, it's actually harsher than in the past where they were often just gifted the #1 odds. That said, they will have a much better expansion draft than most other teams have had in the past.

Comtois was a potential top 5 pick last summer; I can't see him, nor Vesalainen, being available at #15. It is an exceptionally shallow draft though. I wouldn't mind JB swapping picks for 2018.

Archived