The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jonathan Dahlén | C/LW

Mathew Barzal

6 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Can you make an accurate judgment about that watching him play against prospects ie not NHLers? Honest question not trying to be an a$$.

Low end prospects at that. There are only two decent prospects on the entire Winnipeg team

8 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Can you make an accurate judgment about that watching him play against prospects ie not NHLers? Honest question not trying to be an a$$.

From what i saw of Dahlen's play last night and from what I saw of Erikssons play last year. Yes. he is much much faster and has better edge work than Louie Eriksson. Eriksson makes up for his slow skating with high hockey IQ. Camp will be interesting.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Fan since 82 said:

Uh, that is how all prospects are evaluated.   McDavid, Dahlin etc. were judged and drafted after only playing against other prospects...right?    I think over time people can tell who is likely a lock, and who is more suspect than prospect.   Sure, mistakes can happen but in terms of "accurate judgment" there is no 100% but you get a strong sense if you follow the game closely.

Back on topic - Dahlen has NHL speed, hands and seemingly IQ.   He is not the biggest guy out there (EP makes him look thin...) but he oozes skill and moxy.    I cannot guarantee him as an NHL star but after seeing him overseas, then by video in Utica and then on a crap  YouTube feed early this morning, I would say he looks like a lock to be an NHL regular and likely as soon as the season after this one.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, that is how all prospects are evaluated.   McDavid, Dahlin etc. were judged and drafted after only playing against other prospects...right?    I think over time people can tell who is likely a lock, and who is more suspect than prospect.   Sure, mistakes can happen but in terms of "accurate judgment" there is no 100% but you get a strong sense if you follow the game closely.

Back on topic - Dahlen has NHL speed, hands and seemingly IQ.   He is not the biggest guy out there (EP makes him look thin...) but he oozes skill and moxy.    I cannot guarantee him as an NHL star but after seeing him overseas, then by video in Utica and then on a crap  YouTube feed early this morning, I would say he looks like a lock to be an NHL regular and likely as soon as the season after this one.

I hear ya. I'm just a fan and never was a hockey player so I don't get the nuances that experienced people see. Thanks the the explanation. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rekker said:

EP's struggles at center will obviously be at draws and play in his end. I hope Green at least tries him there as well. Ozone starts and PP as center. At 5 on 5 having a very reliable two way player like LE on his wing will help a lot. Cant wait! 

I'm not sure what LE is reliable at other than cashing his cheques... it certainly isn't finishing.  Right now he looks like a 6 million dollar fourth line PKer.  If Pettersson is going to play in the top six, he should have another playmaker/finisher with him and somebody who can skate and play the physical game on the other wing.  If he struggles at draws, put him out there with Gaudette, who doesn't, and let Gaudette take the D zone draws.  But he clearly has a connection with Dahlen.  I'm not even averse to seeing Pettersson and Dahlen start the year together in Utica while some of the vets play themselves out of their spots in Vancouver.  Once the debris is out of the way, bring them up.

This might also be a great year to have Malhotra and/or Jarvis take turns working with the centres in Utica.  Both were great face-off men.

14 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I'm not sure what LE is reliable at other than cashing his cheques... it certainly isn't finishing.  Right now he looks like a 6 million dollar fourth line PKer.  If Pettersson is going to play in the top six, he should have another playmaker/finisher with him and somebody who can skate and play the physical game on the other wing.  If he struggles at draws, put him out there with Gaudette, who doesn't, and let Gaudette take the D zone draws.  But he clearly has a connection with Dahlen.  I'm not even averse to seeing Pettersson and Dahlen start the year together in Utica while some of the vets play themselves out of their spots in Vancouver.  Once the debris is out of the way, bring them up.

This might also be a great year to have Malhotra and/or Jarvis take turns working with the centres in Utica.  Both were great face-off men.

By no means am I trying to justify what LE makes. It has been a flop of a contract from day one. He is however a very responsible two way player. Being Swedish and having had offensive success in the past it's my guess he would make a good linemate for EP. Maybe I'm nuts but I think LE is going to have a bounce back year. I agree with you that if the kids aren't ready then off to the AHL it is. No need to rush things. Very probable that this is another crap year and then it's uptick from there for this team. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

and this is the crux of the matter....seats will not be filled with debris in the way.

The debris is there to gain the time to develop the young guys properly, not ruin the confidence of many of them by bringing them up to soon, each taking the blame for each others errors, instead of sharing each others successes.

Ownership has to decide what they want, endless mediocrity, ruining the careers of countless young guys developed too hastily, or take the view that the top of the heap is the ultimate target.  There are examples of this latter kind of development; earlier powerhouses such as Detroit, Chicago, and now Tampa Bay, Nashville, Toronto, and others.  There are also examples of the other, short run, kind of management; previous generations of Leafs, Oilers. Flames, etc., come to mind.  It depends on whether ownership considers themselves to be contenders or pretenders.

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The debris is there to gain the time to develop the young guys properly, not ruin the confidence of many of them by bringing them up to soon, each taking the blame for each others errors, instead of sharing each others successes.

Ownership has to decide what they want, endless mediocrity, ruining the careers of countless young guys developed too hastily, or take the view that the top of the heap is the ultimate target.  There are examples of this latter kind of development; earlier powerhouses such as Detroit, Chicago, and now Tampa Bay, Nashville, Toronto, and others.  There are also examples of the other, short run, kind of management; previous generations of Leafs, Oilers. Flames, etc., come to mind.  It depends on whether ownership considers themselves to be contenders or pretenders.

Regardless of what the nucks do they can hardly be mentioned with the Oilers. The Canucks have veterans to lead the youth. It was never youth who ruined Edmonton it was drugs. they couldn't give Eberle or Hall away because of locker room struggles. The Canucks could have 3 young players come October. In fact they expect it. And it costs them no less to bury a contract in the AHL or have a player lost to waivers.

• Wat 2

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

Regardless of what the nucks do they can hardly be mentioned with the Oilers. The Canucks have veterans to lead the youth. It was never youth who ruined Edmonton it was drugs. they couldn't give Eberle or Hall away because of locker room struggles. The Canucks could have 3 young players come October. In fact they expect it. And it costs them no less to bury a contract in the AHL or have a player lost to waivers.

Regardless of what the nucks do they can hardly be mentioned with the Oilers.”  I would’t say that too loud, have looked at our results the past four years?  But you are right, they have five Stanley’s and we have zero - we really can’t be mentioned in the same breath as the Oilers.

47 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Scream it from the roof tops. 

What Pocklington got away with having Gretzky on his roster prior to having Edmonton join the league was highway robbery.

They also drafted very well, but coming into the league with the greatest player to ever play the game is a pretty big advantage. 

But thats old news. Do pundits and fans look to Montreal and evaluate their last decade and say they have been doing a great job cause they won so many cups 30 years ago?  

The Leafs must be amazing cause they won cups in the 60’s. 

Edmonton has set the standard for absulote failure in the current era. One hopes they turn things around, but until they can do better at scouting and drafting beyond the top 3 OA they deserve to be called out. 

The last 4 years have seen this team make the playoffs once. That ties Edmonton’s last decade.  Their first rounders over that span in the top ten  4 1st OA picks, a 3rd OA, 4th OA, 7th OA, 10th OA.

Take our last 5 years vs their last ten. To add the other five years would just be like hitting a puppy. Our last 5 top picks, 6th OA, 23rd OA, 5th OA, 5th OA and 7th OA. 

I like the group that JB has assembled as prospects.  In a about 2 years and we will be competitive and a playoff team. 

all this while living with the new lottery rules, (which a team can drop 4 spots).   but it's ok if the Flames and Oilers want to chicken out, let them chicken out.

6 hours ago, cory40 said:

Did I miss something?

7 hours ago, cory40 said:

sources? or speculation?