The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

EP likely went on CDC saw the comments in intermission and decided to take matter into his own hands :P

I certainly hope that it's not common for our prospects to browse CDC, because if they read the comments of the "realistic" fans, I could see a lot of our prospects demanding trades before even signing entry level contracts.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I certainly hope that it's not common for our prospects to browse CDC, because if they read the comments of the "realistic" fans, I could see a lot of our prospects demanding trades before even signing entry level contracts.

I doubt most of them even know CDC existed :P

13 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

So one of my best friends interviewed Elias Pettersson today (and Rasmus Dahlin yesterday). I think it's supposed to be featured on NHL.com and CDC in the next week or two but I can't confirm. If it's not, I'll make sure to get a copy of the interview and post it on here.

25152029_10159608291595328_8297181278212

That's awesome thanks.  Always love hearing what these young guys have to say. Damn do those legs look tiny in the photo though. Very encouraging though considering how well he is doing and he obviously has a lot of room to grow. Can't wait for this guy!

41 minutes ago, ohmy said:

That's awesome thanks.  Always love hearing what these young guys have to say. Damn do those legs look tiny in the photo though. Very encouraging though considering how well he is doing and he obviously has a lot of room to grow. Can't wait for this guy!

He's lean not skinny. The guy is clearly strong too. Let's stop worrying about how he looks. Basketball players are lean too. Elias plays like a f***ing man amongst boys, that's the only thing that concerns us. Woooo C'mon! 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

He's lean not skinny. The guy is clearly strong too. Let's stop worrying about how he looks. Basketball players are lean too. Elias plays like a f***ing man amongst boys, that's the only thing that concerns us. Woooo C'mon! 

I think my forearms are thicker than his calves :lol: But yes, kid's a stud and he seems to have good core strength and (clearly) room to add muscle.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think my forearms are thicker than his calves :lol: But yes, kid's a stud and he seems to have good core strength and (clearly) room to add muscle.

Get Pettersson and Palmu together for summer training. Palmu can teach Pettersson his leg regimen. And Pettersson can help keep Palmu away from any fishing holes.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

So one of my best friends interviewed Elias Pettersson today (and Rasmus Dahlin yesterday). I think it's supposed to be featured on NHL.com and CDC in the next week or two but I can't confirm. If it's not, I'll make sure to get a copy of the interview and post it on here.

...So where is EP....is that his 12 year old brother....?!?

.....just kidding ...but he really does look young and small in that photo....which makes his feats on the ice all that much more spectacular...10-15 Lbs more and who is going to stop him?

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

.....just kidding ...but he really does look young and small in that photo....which makes his feats on the ice all that much more spectacular...10-15 Lbs more and who is going to stop him?

Imagine how good he will be when he's old enough to shave! Lol.

4 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

is it me, or does he resemble Virt a little bit? Just in the face and hair

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I remember the Twins looking super young when they were first drafted.  Even when they arrived here they were still too light really to be consistent.  Yet, you could still see glimpses of their greatness.  Pettersson is going to be a great player for us.  It's only going to take him a while to mature.

20 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

Something to keep in mind with pettersson, pretty much every year an undersized player is taken in the first round who eventually grows into his frame and becomes an impact player. Some examples (all players are between 5'11" and 6'1"):

2007 - Kyle Turris 165 pounds when drafted, 190 pounds now

2008 - Erik Karlsson 165 pounds when drafted, 191 pounds now

2009 - Evander Kane 170 pounds when drafted, 212 pounds now

2010 - Evgeni Kuznetsoz 170 pounds when drafter, 204 pounds now

2011 - Ryan Nugent Hopkins 164 pounds when drafted, 191 pounds now

2012 - Filip Forsberg 176 pounds when drafted, 205 pounds now

2013 - Andre Burakovsky 176 pounds when drafted, 201 pounds now

2014 - William Nylander 170 pounds when drafted, 191 pounds now

2015 - Matt Barzal 175 pounds when drafted, 189 pounds now

All draft weigh-ins retrieved from http://www.mynhldraft.com, all current weigh-ins from nhl.com

Should also be noted that a lot of these players dropped lower in the draft because of concerns about their size. Pettersson was listed at 6'2" 160 pounds when drafted, currently around 161-165 depending on which website you check only ~6 months since the draft. quite reasonable to assume he will eventually get to 185-195 in a few years. 

If he reaches this weight, he will be around the same size as currents centres in the nhl such as Stamkos (194), McDavid (192), Giroux (185), Trochek (182), and Monohan (195) all of whom are in the top 15 for scoring among centres in the NHL. 

Also important to remember that Bo Horvat is 223 pounds and can easily be matched up against other teams top lines, meaning Pettersson won't be relied upon to serve that Big-body centre role. 

TL;DR anyone worrying about Pettersson's weight is complaining about basically nothing

You have to consider the height with the weight as well though. The list of current centres you have, the ones in the 185lb range are 5'10 or so. It's different to be 185lb and be 6'2. I'm not concerned about Pettersson adding weight, but I can see the potential concern, plus what will adding weight do to his game? I hope they don't just expect him to put on weight and not properly gear himself for it. I think this happened to Juolevi and he wasn't quite ready to make the jump to the NHL while transitioning to the size change. Hopefully Pettersson comes to camp at around 170-175 next season while working on his power skating. He has the smarts and abilities, but he just needs to gradually transition them to the NHL level.