The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Considering how many players whose career never quite matches what they did prior to playing in the NHL i don't see how you just don't see it or realize it may happen. Don't get me wrong i think he is an amazing talent at this point and if...IF he can do the same thing at the NHL level and stay injury free more or less for the next number of years, he could have a great career. Maybe the best ever. I don't think anyone predicted how good Lidstrom was going to be, some guys just turn out that way.

Yeah. What you said there is far more accurate. You were speaking in absolutes in your last post.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why him playing on the wing upsets so many people.

As Ryan Johnson, director of player development for the Vancouver Canucks and as the general manager for the Utica Comets said in the interview today during the game, Johnson believes Elias Pettersson controls the game much better when he plays centre. Johnson, in his professional opinion of which his career is made up of, states that EP when playing wing doesn't control the game nearly as much and he is much better when playing centre.

If Ryan Johnson believes EP should start in the NHL as a centre then I believe the professional has spoken and has the appropriate call on EP.

Posters who feel differently then this professional NHL director of player development are simply wrong. ::D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

As Ryan Johnson, director of player development for the Vancouver Canucks and as the general manager for the Utica Comets said in the interview today during the game, Johnson believes Elias Pettersson controls the game much better when he plays centre. Johnson, in his professional opinion of which his career is made up of, states that EP when playing wing doesn't control the game nearly as much and he is much better when playing centre.

If Ryan Johnson believes EP should start in the NHL as a centre then I believe the professional has spoken and has the appropriate call on EP.

Posters who feel differently then this professional NHL director of player development are simply wrong. ::D

Our center position looks great going forward.  We have EP, Bo, Gaudette.  That’s super duper elite talent!  Cups are coming:)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pretty refreshing -- he not only owns up to his own errors and compete level, but admits what he needs to work on and declares he will get better.

https://streamable.com/f369f#

This is part of the reason why I'm pretty damn sure he's going to be successful going forward. The dude is so good at identifying where his game needs work and how he needs to improve. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Dang, imagine what he would have done in the SHL if he played more center. :ph34r:

I also think EP in his prime would be at his best playing C. However, short term I see him on the wing to start his career and he needs to work on his face offs. I was at both prospect games, and he hardly won any face offs in both games.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

First, you put him in the best place for success.

Sure, of course. If his play is suffering due to being a center, switch him to wing. In my very unprofessional opinion I thought he looked to handle center well. He was strong defensively, which is the hinge of playing C. His faceoffs will come, a player with his drive can learn a skill over the course of the season. Hell, he even played better in the dot over the course of the 2 games this weekend. 

In my opinion if the bottom line is him succeeding its on Bo's wing or 2C. If we seem him on Sutters wing on the 2nd line it's not due to the position to succeed theory.

• Like 1

My personal foresight opinion is Petterssen plays a mix of wing and center during his career.  He needs to learn center and be an elite switch player.  Why? Because I foresee the Canucks will be become better and more deep at center than the EP, Bo, Gaudette model people are predicting.  How? I think the Canucks grab an elite Center in the next draft who pushes the future first line to

Dahlen 2019 1st Petterssen

a Bo Boeser based 2nd

then a Gaud based third.  

And maybe keep Sutter for 4th.  

With the Lind, Gads, Jasek and Palmus who make the grade filling some of the gaps and future picks and current players (like JV and Baer) filling the rest.  But Petterssen being able to slide to C when one of the others goes down makes us stronger.  

That flexibility and resiliency will make us true contenders in the long run.  

Edited by TGT68
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

And there's not guarantee that any of the guys you just listed will be ready for the NHL.

Thy dont have to be ready for the nhl. They just have to fill roles for a certain period of time. They dont have to keep their spot and make the team, they can go back to the ahl when the player returns. In that group I mentioned you do have the finnish rookie of the year, one of the top finnish d, one of the whl’s top point producers, the swedish 2nd division mvp and the hobey baker winner . Our depth is fine.

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1

Just now, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Thy dont have to be ready for the nhl. They just have to fill roles for a certain period of time. They dont have to keep their spot and make the team, they can go back to the ahl when the player returns. In that group I mentioned you do have the finnish rookie of the year, one of the top finnish d, one of the whl’s top point producers, the swedish 2nd division mvp and the honey baker winner . Our depth is fine.

If a Boeser or Horvat goes down, which both did last season, I have my doubts that any of those guys are going to be able to jump in and take on the role that one of those two guys plays for any period of time. Can't just throw rookies in and expect them to have success right off the bat. Furthermore, even if our depth is better, we've still lost 3 legitimate top 6 forwards in the Sedin twins and Vanek and we've replaced them with one top 6 in Pettersson and a few bottom 6 free agents. Depth doesn't = quality.

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If a Boeser or Horvat goes down, which both did last season, I have my doubts that any of those guys are going to be able to jump in and take on the role that one of those two guys plays for any period of time. Can't just throw rookies in and expect them to have success right off the bat. Furthermore, even if our depth is better, we've still lost 3 legitimate top 6 forwards in the Sedin twins and Vanek and we've replaced them with one top 6 in Pettersson and a few bottom 6 free agents. Depth doesn't = quality.

Guess Boeser and Barzel didnt get the memo 

Pettersson started slowly but has started to impress over the weekend. Sure he has a great shot etc., but what really impressed me was his back check on that two on one. Going full out for most of the length of the ice, he caught the Jet player and took him out right to the end boards. Pettersson will be a force in the NHL.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

My personal foresight opinion is Petterssen plays a mix of wing and center during his career.  He needs to learn center and be an elite switch player.  Why? Because I foresee the Canucks will be become better and more deep at center than the EP, Bo, Gaudette model people are predicting.  How? I think the Canucks grab an elite Center in the next draft who pushes the future first line to

Dahlen 2019 1st Petterssen

a Bo Boeser based 2nd

then a Gaud based third.  

And maybe keep Sutter for 4th.  

With the Lind, Gads, Jasek and Palmus who make the grade filling some of the gaps and future picks and current players (like JV and Baer) filling the rest.  But Petterssen being able to slide to C when one of the others goes down makes us stronger.  

That flexibility and resiliency will make us true contenders in the long run.  

Boeser as second liner!! That team is winning the Stanley cup for sure.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

After watching him this weekend Pettersson that is I say he is ready for the show . The biggest problem was our de they could not get the puck out our end.

Two of those goals against were with Pettersson and Dahlen on the ice.  They couldn’t get the puck out of our end, you can’t just blame the D for that, getting the puck out is a six man job.  On one of those goals Pettersson turned over the puck at the blue line - how is that the D’s fault, the other was when Pettersson didn’t pick up his coverage - that is not the D’s fault either.  Pettersson owned up to that, which means he is focussed on being a 200 foot player, and that is good, but it doesn’t look at this point that he is entirely ready for the show defensively.  Gaudette, in contrast, does look ready in that regard, don’t be too surprised if Gaudette makes the team to start, and that Pettersson and Dahlen might need some work in Utica.  I’m saying that will be the case, we’ll have to see - the coming pre-season games will tell a lot.

i am really anxious to be moving forward with the young guys - but when they are well prepared.  I would like to see their odds of early success maximized, and that might mean some games in Utica.  Boeser and Gaudette both stayed an extra year in College, and it shows in the completeness of their games.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, shayster007 said:

Sure, of course. If his play is suffering due to being a center, switch him to wing. In my very unprofessional opinion I thought he looked to handle center well. He was strong defensively, which is the hinge of playing C. His faceoffs will come, a player with his drive can learn a skill over the course of the season. Hell, he even played better in the dot over the course of the 2 games this weekend. 

In my opinion if the bottom line is him succeeding its on Bo's wing or 2C. If we seem him on Sutters wing on the 2nd line it's not due to the position to succeed theory.

He didn't get better in the dot in the second game, despite people trying to convince themselves he did.  If he starts at C this season, he'll spend the bulk of his time chasing possession.  Let him play W with a cman who can win the puck.