The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Still upset with the team reaction to the hit. It certainly could not have been unanticipated. Whether in Florida or some where else it was going to happen. IMHO a team has to have an united reaction to this. EP is a franchise player. Any suggestion that this is the NHL and he has to suck it up is without merit. Matheson should have been dealt with immediately. His hit was not out of line it was the slam dunk afterward. EP will not need the protection he does now after a season. Before then any team that plays Van has to know that EP is Van gold. Anything less is a comment on the culture of this org.

My take on Green's comment after the game was that it contradicts the time line of this org. The imperative now has to be the establishment and development of young prospects not worrying so much of W/L's.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

&^@#!!!

&^@# &^@#.  Boeser gets hurt! not been the same since!  he comes back into the season, not 100% 7 games in Pettersson goes down, &^@# this $&!#!

Lol, Boeser will be fine, hes got a little bit of the sophomore slump going on but he'll figure it out. He's been improving every game and its just a matter of time before he starts potting hatties again.

As far as EP40 if it is confirmed that he won't play its more than likely just precautionary. It's early enough in the season and letting the kid have a night off won't hurt his development. Still a long season ahead, let him rest and recoup so he can continue to dominate.

• Like 1

What do people want, a Torts-like brawl in the hallway? We all know what happened after that incident.

The on-ice incident wasn't conducive to going after Matheson at the time. The team then focused on the win and got it. Now they're taking his number, which is the better way for retribution.

Besides, the play was a little dirty, but EP will be fine in a day or two. If it was a blatant hit from behind or something worse than what happened then you would've seen a different reaction. The last thing we need, tho, are suspensions on our end with stupid retaliation. Honestly, I think this'll be good for EP in a way - he'll come back stronger and more fiesty as a result. I bet he's pissed and a little embarrassed with getting ragdolled and it isn't sitting well with him - the kid's super competitive, so let's stop infantilizing him. 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What do people want, a Torts-like brawl in the hallway? We all know what happened after that incident.

The on-ice incident wasn't conducive to going after Matheson at the time. The team then focused on the win and got it. Now they're taking his number, which is the better way for retribution.

Besides, the play was a little dirty, but EP will be fine in a day or two. If it was a blatant hit from behind or something worse than what happened then you would've seen a different reaction. The last thing we need, tho, are suspensions on our end with stupid retaliation. Honestly, I think this'll be good for EP in a way - he'll come back stronger and more fiesty as a result. I bet he's pissed and a little embarrassed with getting ragdolled and it isn't sitting well with him - the kid's super competitive, so let's stop infantilizing him. 

I've grown tired of the out cry over the lack of response as it has been established that the players didnt see the hit. Maybe if it happened in the second and there had been an intermission they could of seen it. Heck I think Mathison only had maybe three shifts after the hit. The response I would like to see? Would be like earlier in the year when Eller was yapping at the Buston bench when up like 6 to 0. Marchand, one of their stars pummelled him. Hate the rat but I give him full props for that. Heck, if EP played for the Bruins they wouldn't of needed to see the hit live. Their coach would of made sure the players new and the players would know what had to be done. Again, I blame Green on this one. 

6 hours ago, ForzaTikare said:

According to Swedish media Benning confirmed that EP will be out for a couple of games 

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/a/p62WQR/vancouvers-besked-elias-mar-lite-battre

Seems strange how nothing's been reported here if true. Guess we'll find out today. Probably after Matheson hearing

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Elias Pettersson (concussion) remains with VAN on their road trip (PIT Tues and WPG Thursday) but will not be seeing any game action for a minimum of seven to 10 days and perhaps longer depending on his recovery from symptoms.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Elias Pettersson (concussion) remains with VAN on their road trip (PIT Tues and WPG Thursday) but will not be seeing any game action for a minimum of seven to 10 days and perhaps longer depending on his recovery from symptoms.

&^@# you, Mike Matheson.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Seems strange how nothing's been reported here if true. Guess we'll find out today. Probably after Matheson hearing

Concussion confirmed by McKenzie on twitter, out for atleast 7-10 days

Gaudette is recalled with Beagle and EP on Injury Reserve

Edited by ForzaTikare

I hope he recovers soon.  I remember when Laine was hit it looked pretty bad.  He didn't even get up for several minutes.  Pettersson will be fine this time around but he cannot be taking any more of these head shots.  He will need to change his game a bit and be more aware of his surroundings.  I'm sure he will do that next time he is on the boards with his back to the play.  It's a learning experience for him.

As for payback, I expect something the next game.  Might even go to that game in January.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

F you Matheson. F u the whole FRIKKIN Panthers organization for hiring this piece of rövhål. I’m confident that this is light concussion but no point in having him back in the game early.

These wannabe GOONS think they need to show the rookies “who’s the tougher guy”. Eat the darker side of the lower part of my back.

Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, Pettersson, etc, the FUTURE of this sport. Single handedly possibly had their careers shortened by this type of low life wannabes. This is not going to stop unless someone makes a bloody statement. You’re out 15-20 games. Why?

1. You’re a nobody in the NHL

2. You’re damaging the sport and league

3. You can’t play FRIKKIN FAIR U ARSE